Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

J1 tax reclaim valid if change to G4 visa?

J1 tax reclaim valid if change to G4 visa?

Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

mhelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 tax reclaim valid if change to G4 visa?

I am currently in the US on a J1 visa. I understand that through a reciprocal arrangement with the UK, I can claim back all taxes withheld if I leave the US less than 2 years before I arrived. Of course I would like to claim back the tax, but I would like to continue working on the research project. It has been suggested by one of our partner organizations (an international organization) that maybe I could change to a G4 visa (which is exempt from tax) and be employed by them. If the G4 were to come into effect shortly after the two years of J1, would this invalidate/prevent the tax claim?

I'd be very grateful to hear from you with advice or a recommendation of someone to contact. I have already tried tax companies, the international tax expert and the international studies office at the university. I have to move fairly quickly if this is an option.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:48 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all
Default Re: J1 tax reclaim valid if change to G4 visa?

Originally Posted by mhelp
I am currently in the US on a J1 visa. I understand that through a reciprocal arrangement with the UK, I can claim back all taxes withheld if I leave the US less than 2 years before I arrived. Of course I would like to claim back the tax, but I would like to continue working on the research project. It has been suggested by one of our partner organizations (an international organization) that maybe I could change to a G4 visa (which is exempt from tax) and be employed by them. If the G4 were to come into effect shortly after the two years of J1, would this invalidate/prevent the tax claim?

I'd be very grateful to hear from you with advice or a recommendation of someone to contact. I have already tried tax companies, the international tax expert and the international studies office at the university. I have to move fairly quickly if this is an option.
Am pretty sure you lose the option to claim your tax back once you change to any other status than J-1, even a tax-exempt status. Certainly one for a tax expert, may be worth your while consulting one.