J1 Summer Jobs

Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

lewh3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 Summer Jobs

Hi Guys,

In Summer 2013 my plan is to try and work in the US for a couple of months through Bunac.

I have done a fair amount of research and applied for about 8 Amusement Park type jobs and even sent follow up e-mails a week after. So it is now 3 weeks after initially applying and I still haven't heard back from any, so i'm therefore assuming I am unsuccessful.

My question is, does any kind soul out there know of a good website for Summer Jobs at all? Or better yet know anywhere or anyone that would potentially hire a hard working, bright and committed Student for a summer?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Summer Jobs

Didn't think Bunac or Camp America were doing anything this year because of visa hassles.

Still, it they were. The usual suspects, craigslist, local paper websites Patch/Advocate and town name would be the big ones - http://www.patch.com/

Then all the other regular job sites.

Though not hearing back from people is pretty much par for the course, so I wouldn't worry to much.

Perhaps your uni has an exchange program or someone in the alumi that could help out?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Didn't think Bunac or Camp America were doing anything this year because of visa hassles.

Still, it they were. The usual suspects, craigslist, local paper websites Patch/Advocate and town name would be the big ones - http://www.patch.com/

Though not hearing back from people is pretty much par for the course, so I wouldn't worry to much.

Perhaps your uni has an exchange program or someone in the alumi that could help out?
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

Bunac have stopped their Camp Courses but are still continuing with Work America.

Thanks for the suggestions and links!

I have asked around at the Uni and they don't unfortunately.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:11 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids do some summer camps through an outfit called Challenger Sports - all of their coaches are British so its the British Soccer camp ours do, but I think they do other sports as well. If you are sporty, may be worth tracking them down and seeing if they still have openings.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:54 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

That's so sad about Bunac and Camp America. I am still friends with a bunch of counselors that I worked with at summer camp that came over through those programs over 25 years ago! At least half the camp counselors came over through those programs in the years I worked at sleep away camps.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:00 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at the Camp America Website and they seem to be having camp and job fairs and recruitment for the summer.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Our kids do some summer camps through an outfit called Challenger Sports - all of their coaches are British so its the British Soccer camp ours do, but I think they do other sports as well. If you are sporty, may be worth tracking them down and seeing if they still have openings.
It's funny you suggest this actually as I am starting my Level 1 FA soccer coaching course today! I will look into Challenger sports now!

Thanks!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I looked at the Camp America Website and they seem to be having camp and job fairs and recruitment for the summer.
Yeah Camp America and others like CCUSA and Wildpacks etc are still continuing their camp courses. I think that is something I would like to do next Summer!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:17 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lewh3
It's funny you suggest this actually as I am starting my Level 1 FA soccer coaching course today! I will look into Challenger sports now!

Thanks!
It seems like a pretty good operation - the coaches are "hosted" (ie live with) the families of one of the kids on the course, and seem to do about 3 weeks on, 1 week off. Challenger give them a rental car to explore in their week off.

We've hosted a couple of them, and I get chatting with a lot of the others after the days events (the accent helps sometimes!). They all spoke very highly of the scheme from their point of view. A few of them have done multiple summers, so must be OK. In Texas they tend to stay in state as it is so big, but some of them had done more mortherly camps and had traveled to a few different states.

My nephew is a soccer coach, and a few years back I was trying to persuade him to do it while he was at university, but he did something silly and went and got himself a proper job instead
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

My niece and a friend of hers came over last year to N.C. and did a challenger soccer camp. They enjoyed it and stayed on and toured the States for a few weeks. They're going to do it again this summer.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

It seems like a pretty good operation - the coaches are "hosted" (ie live with) the families of one of the kids on the course, and seem to do about 3 weeks on, 1 week off. Challenger give them a rental car to explore in their week off.

We've hosted a couple of them, and I get chatting with a lot of the others after the days events (the accent helps sometimes!). They all spoke very highly of the scheme from their point of view. A few of them have done multiple summers, so must be OK. In Texas they tend to stay in state as it is so big, but some of them had done more mortherly camps and had traveled to a few different states.

My nephew is a soccer coach, and a few years back I was trying to persuade him to do it while he was at university, but he did something silly and went and got himself a proper job instead
That sounds great! My only worry is that I have no experience yet, but I will definitely look into it!

What job did he get?!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Welshgator
My niece and a friend of hers came over last year to N.C. and did a challenger soccer camp. They enjoyed it and stayed on and toured the States for a few weeks. They're going to do it again this summer.
Really? did they have any experience?

It sounds like a great oppertunity.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:07 pm

That sounds great! My only worry is that I have no experience yet, but I will definitely look into it!

What job did he get?!
He became a teacher and was coaching the school team....got them through to the last 8 of an All England schoolboy competition, so he was well chuffed.

That reminds me - one of the coaches on Challenger a couple of years ago was running a camp in Austin Texas, and ended up getting a job as an assistant coach on the UT soccer team when the summer camp finished.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

He became a teacher and was coaching the school team....got them through to the last 8 of an All England schoolboy competition, so he was well chuffed.

That reminds me - one of the coaches on Challenger a couple of years ago was running a camp in Austin Texas, and ended up getting a job as an assistant coach on the UT soccer team when the summer camp finished.
Wow, that's a great achievement! I would be chuffed too!
Did he have any experience prior the the Challenger course do you know?

Sounds like it looks good on your CV too.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:41 pm

Wow, that's a great achievement! I would be chuffed too!
Did he have any experience prior the the Challenger course do you know?

Sounds like it looks good on your CV too.
I don't know - all of them are FA qualified coaches I think, but I'm not sure what level.
And from the way they handle themselves, they've obviously grown up with a ball at their feet...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.