J1 question.

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:12 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 question.

Originally Posted by whyyouwanna
This is not the issue. The is issue is (Please note, however, that Intrax does not support any status changes in the US, which means yo ucannot switch from J1 to HB status while being in the US. As the J1 Excahnge Visitor program requires you to return home to apply your newly learned skills, we require you to return home for a minimum of 90 days in between different visa prgorams.)
I got that the first time around, and I'll repeat the question. If the J1 has expired then regardless of what you want to do you must leave the US as you have no legal status in the country. Also as already stated you would have to return home anyway to receive the H1B should you be approved, you would also need to leave the US to enter on the VWP after the expiration of the J1 if thats what you wanted to do. So where is the issue?

Or perhaps I'm just going mad
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:16 am
Just Joined

whyyouwanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
I got that the first time around, and I'll repeat the question. If the J1 has expired then regardless of what you want to do you must leave the US as you have no legal status in the country. Also as already stated you would have to return home anyway to receive the H1B should you be approved, you would also need to leave the US to enter on the VWP after the expiration of the J1 if thats what you wanted to do. So where is the issue?

Or perhaps I'm just going mad
Im sorry, I didnt understand what you were saying before. Im in such a fluster with all this visa waffle. Im pulling my hair out I see what you now mean though.

It was my plan to return home for a few weeks before the H1B kicked in. I would like to get the stamp in the visa asap. I do alot of international travel with the company. So it would be needed.

I think that Im going to take my business else where other than Intrax. It seems they always have some form of an excuse. Does anyone have any recommendations for J1 sponsors.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: J1 question.

So guys Ive been contacting around and so far I seem to be getting these answers of the sponsors. I ask them this:

In June 2011 I started a 12 month internship in the USA under a J1 visa. I returned home to the UK after the visa expired to complete my final year of studies. It is my intent and the company I interned with to return myself back to the USA on another J1 visa starting in October 2013. The plan is to apply for a H1B in April of 2014, so that when the J1 expires the H1B shall take its place in October 2014. Would this cause any concern? My original sponsors Intrax informed me of this:

These are the answers Im receiving:

Intrax (Please note, however, that Intrax does not support any status changes in the US, which means you cannot switch from J1 to HB status while being in the US. As the J1 Exchange Visitor program requires you to return home to apply your newly learned skills, we require you to return home for a minimum of 90 days in between different visa programs.)

Career Training USA (Unfortunately, your intent to stay in the U.S. Upon completion of a J-1 program does not align with the purpose of our program and we will not be able to assist you with J-1 visa sponsorship. Please see the following link for more information about other visas that you might find more suitable: http://travel.state.gov/visa/. It is against State Department regulations of the J-1 visa program to change visa status to an H1B, as the intent is to return to your home country upon completion of your program.)

Now I know there is many people in my situation who have converted from a J1 to a H1B. I really need some advice here, will all sponsors say this or is it just company policy for a select few of these sponsors?

Should I just apply for a J1 and not tell them of my intention to next year apply for a H1B?

Thanks guys.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Now I know there is many people in my situation who have converted from a J1 to a H1B. I really need some advice here, will all sponsors say this or is it just company policy for a select few of these sponsors?

Should I just apply for a J1 and not tell them of my intention to next year apply for a H1B?

Thanks guys.
Have you had a consultation with an immigration attorney with experience in J-1 and H1B cases yet? Sounds to me like this might be your next step.

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:23 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Who is going to sponsor your H1B?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Who is going to sponsor your H1B?
The same company I am interning with.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Intrax (Please note, however, that Intrax does not support any status changes in the US, which means you cannot switch from J1 to HB status while being in the US. As the J1 Exchange Visitor program requires you to return home to apply your newly learned skills, we require you to return home for a minimum of 90 days in between different visa programs.)
As noted earlier, their company policy does not reflect the actual law of the US. US law trumps whatever they say.

Career Training USA (Unfortunately, your intent to stay in the U.S. Upon completion of a J-1 program does not align with the purpose of our program and we will not be able to assist you with J-1 visa sponsorship. Please see the following link for more information about other visas that you might find more suitable: http://travel.state.gov/visa/. It is against State Department regulations of the J-1 visa program to change visa status to an H1B, as the intent is to return to your home country upon completion of your program.)
Again, the law does not reflect what you're being told. US law trumps whatever they say.

I'm not sure why you keep believing what either Intrax or Career Training USA tell you... they are both wrong.

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
As noted earlier, their company policy does not reflect the actual law of the US. US law trumps whatever they say.

Again, the law does not reflect what you're being told. US law trumps whatever they say.

I'm not sure why you keep believing what either Intrax or Career Training USA tell you... they are both wrong.

Ian
Thanks you very much Ian. Im a worrier lol.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Ian
Why do all the Sponsors wish for the applicant to return after the J1 is completed. I dont understand their reasons for being so none negotiable?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Why do all the Sponsors wish for the applicant to return after the J1 is completed.
They want you to return and not bugger off, because the next person might just do that. They're banking on the fact that most people don't know the law.

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The following is pure speculation.

It may be that at one time they may possibly got into trouble with USCIS and signed some "consent order" not to do that again but also to create procedures to stop the practice. When USCIS decided that their "new procedures" were acceptable, they signed off on the "consent order".
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 11:23 am
Just Joined

If there is anyone on the forum who has experienced changing status from a J1 to H1b can they please PM me. Id love there advice.

Thanks guys.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 11:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If there is anyone on the forum who has experienced changing status from a J1 to H1b can they please PM me. Id love there advice.

Thanks guys.
It's a bad idea to get immigration advice via PM, because if they give you wrong information, there's no one to come along and correct it.

Rene
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Can anyone recommend a good J1 Sponsor, especially those who have changed their status from a J1 to H1b or other status.

I dont think I want to go with Intrax again, not after there feedback.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 4:56 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite. It doesn't seem that the company's policy violates US law, it just imposes additional conditions of the company's own making. So the solution is - go with a different company.

Regards, JEff

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.