Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

J1 Professional Traineeship or HIB

J1 Professional Traineeship or HIB

Old May 5th 2009, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

ginger6104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 Professional Traineeship or HIB

My fiancee and I are hoping to move to New York City at the end of the year ( we get married in Sept). We both want jobs in NYC and are currently job hunting. We are not sure which visa is likely to wield the best results.

We only want to go for 18 months and I can take a career break from my current job ( i.e they will keep my job open) so I was thinking that a J! professional traineeship visa might be best instead of the HIb . Any advice please ?
Old May 5th 2009, 2:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Professional Traineeship or HIB

Originally Posted by ginger6104
My fiancee and I are hoping to move to New York City at the end of the year ( we get married in Sept). We both want jobs in NYC and are currently job hunting. We are not sure which visa is likely to wield the best results.

We only want to go for 18 months and I can take a career break from my current job ( i.e they will keep my job open) so I was thinking that a J! professional traineeship visa might be best instead of the HIb . Any advice please ?
How about a European city instead
Old May 5th 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

It's not too late to file for an H-1B, if you can find a firm willing to sponsor you. The cap won't be reached until at least June.

Be aware that the J-1 traineeship is for a trainee / exchange position, rather than "actual" professional work (you cannot take the position of a regular employee). Of course the line is a bit blurry.

Either way you'll have to find a company to sponsor you, you can't apply for either the H-1B or J-1 visa by yourself.

Good luck!
Old May 5th 2009, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

ginger6104 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks- going out at the end of May to try and a get a job.
Old May 5th 2009, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginger6104
Thanks- going out at the end of May to try and a get a job.
Be aware that you can job hunt, interview, and accept a position. If, however, they ask you to sign papers, you are *NOT* allowed to do that without employment authorization which, at this point in time, you don't have. If they ask you to sign papers because they'll file the paperwork afterwards, well... that's also illegal.

Ian
Old May 6th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Be aware that you can job hunt, interview, and accept a position. If, however, they ask you to sign papers, you are *NOT* allowed to do that without employment authorization which, at this point in time, you don't have. If they ask you to sign papers because they'll file the paperwork afterwards, well... that's also illegal.

Ian
Reference? The attorney handling my H-1B application told me that while I'm waiting I can use the VWP to visit, interview, look for housing and sign contracts but not work.

Last edited by henryh; May 6th 2009 at 12:18 am.
Old May 6th 2009, 12:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
Reference? The attorney handling my H-1B application told me that while I'm waiting I can use the VWP to visit, interview, look for housing and sign contracts but not work.
I've seen 'sign contracts' in reference to taking orders while on the business VWP (WB) admission but if you google "visa waiver program" "accept employment" together, it looks on the face of it like you can't do that.
Old May 6th 2009, 1:52 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Reference?
My attorney - who specializes in the employment rights of non-US citizens... and who has published just such a paper in a respected, peer-reviewed law journal. According to her, you can *not* work without authorization... and the moment you sign a form, you are considered to be working for the employer whether or not you have actually started the job. I posted this info in an earlier thread a few months ago after consulting with her.

The attorney handling my H-1B application told me that while I'm waiting I can use the VWP to visit, interview, look for housing and sign contracts but not work.
You're welcome to listen to your attorney, but I believe he is mistaken.

Ian
Old May 6th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Interesting. I guess I'll stay on the safe side, but "surely" a contract including some term specifying that work wouldn't begin until October 1st would be okay...
Old May 6th 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

I'd definately err on the side of caution on this one. When I came out last year for interviews on the VWP, my employer offered me the position but sent all of the contract documents to my address in Australia for me to sign when I flew back to get my things together in order to cover this off. In other words, if your employer's attorney(s) are on the ball, they should not let you sign anything anyway within the US.

Interesting. I guess I'll stay on the safe side, but "surely" a contract including some term specifying that work wouldn't begin until October 1st would be okay...