the J1 2 year rule

Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default the J1 2 year rule

I found this article relating to J1 visas and the 2 year rule: http://oie.ucsc.edu/forms/is3/j1_two_year_rule.pdf

It states that the 2 year rule does not prohibit a person from returning to the US with some other visa.

So what exactly is this rule then ?, does it just mean somebody cant extend the J1 past 7 years, or do they have to re-apply for visa outside the US ?

Any help appreciated !
Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice
Default Re: the J1 2 year rule

If you have a J-1 visa with a 2 year home residency requirement.
You cannot obtain an immigrant visa until your 2 year's in your home country has been completed, or you have received a waiver for your residency requirement. Time accumulates, and one doesn't have to spend the entire 2 years at one time in their home country. One can return on non-immigrant visa's as often as they wish, (at least to my knowledge)

If you never intend to immigrate to the USA, then this isn't a factor for you. But for people that are married to a US citizen or intend to marry, they cannot get a Fiance visa, or change their status until their 2 year requirement is waived or completed. Marriage to a US citizen is specifically NOT going to get out out of the requirement and will not save you from a ban if you overstay your visa.

You can get a non-immigrant visa and come back and forth as much as you want, so long as you don't break the law. Time in your home country accumulates. If you go back 1 month, count it toward the 24 months, just be sure you can prove your time there. When you have a J-1 with 2 Year HRR, otherwise known as Section 212(e) you never want to overstay!!!!!!! Otherwise you're subject to a ban on returning to the USA for up to 10 years.

Waivers to the J-1 seem to have become much more common, even for government funded individuals and Fullbright students. However, it is very hard to get a waiver if you are in the medical field. The most likely waiver you could receive is the no-objection waiver. The other waiver types are often a waste of time for someone to pursue.

Note, I'm not a lawyer, don't rely on my information

Last edited by no-spam; Feb 7th 2007 at 1:51 pm.