Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

J visa to H visa to greencard - success!

J visa to H visa to greencard - success!

Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold
Default J visa to H visa to greencard - success!

I haven't posted for quite a while, but I thought I might be able to offer some advice to anyone looking to apply for a greencard from the J visa. I remember looking for information on the process, or for people with experience of the process, and struggled to find anyone.

In short, we just received our greencards after an application process of about a year, and after being on the J visa for the past 6 years. It's a complicated and tiring process, so I just wanted to offer my help to anyone going through anything similar.

Michael
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J visa to greencard

Originally Posted by mikec81
I haven't posted for quite a while, but I thought I might be able to offer some advice to anyone looking to apply for a greencard from the J visa. I remember looking for information on the process, or for people with experience of the process, and struggled to find anyone.

In short, we just received our greencards after an application process of about a year, and after being on the J visa for the past 6 years. It's a complicated and tiring process, so I just wanted to offer my help to anyone going through anything similar.

Michael
I didn't think it was possible to go directly from a J visa to a green card. There's no basis for filing AOS if you're only on a J visa.

Wasn't there a step in between where you had to get employed (on some sort of work visa), and then the employer sponsored your green card?

Or perhaps your spouse is a USC and you filed AOS based on that?

Can you explain the process in more detail?

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I didn't think it was possible to go directly from a J visa to a green card. There's no basis for filing AOS if you're only on a J visa.

Wasn't there a step in between where you had to get employed (on some sort of work visa), and then the employer sponsored your green card?

Rene
You are right, of course. I just didn't want to get too involved in the opening post.

My wife transfered to the H1-B and me to the H4. We then applied for the greencard and my work authorization at the same time. I was able to return to work about two months or so after the application was submitted.

The application itself was not employer sponsored. Based on her qualifications, our attorney believed that the National Interest Waiver application was the most appropriate, and she turned out to be correct. Incidentally, I would highly recommend our attorney to anyone looking for an immigration attorney in Northern California.

Basically, we are both English, came here on J visas, transfered to H visas, and now have our greencards.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Reading through your past posts, it does indeed seem there was an H1B step in between the J-1 and the Green Card. Your thread title is misleading. I corrected it for clarity, and for those browsing this forum.

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:20 pm

Basically, we are both English, came here on J visas, transfered to H visas, and now have our greencards.
Thanks, and congratulations!

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, of course. I just didn't want to get too involved in the opening post.

My wife transfered to the H1-B and me to the H4. We then applied for the greencard and my work authorization at the same time. I was able to return to work about two months or so after the application was submitted.

The application itself was not employer sponsored. Based on her qualifications, our attorney believed that the National Interest Waiver application was the most appropriate, and she turned out to be correct. Incidentally, I would highly recommend our attorney to anyone looking for an immigration attorney in Northern California.

So, am I reading this correctly?? When you transferred to an H4, how could you return to work within 2 months on that status?? I'm confused, I thought you could only get work authorization when a visa number became current, but I am probably wrong.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 6:12 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
So, am I reading this correctly?? When you transferred to an H4, how could you return to work within 2 months on that status?? I'm confused, I thought you could only get work authorization when a visa number became current, but I am probably wrong.
NIW can be quite speedy if all the paperwork is in order.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Aahhh, gotcha! Just looked up the NIW and have a much clearer understanding of what is involved, thanks for that.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike, could you post or PM me the name and/or contact details of that lawyer? I have a couple of friends in similar situations looking for a good attorney with NIW experience.

Thanks, Henry
Old Jun 11th 2012, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brat1
When you apply based on the NIW, the H4 holder is able to apply for the work authorization while the NIW application is pending. Definitely a lot better than some of the alternative applications. USCIS took 7 months to approve the application, and the work authorization took 2 months, so I was able to work during that 5 month gap.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J visa to H visa to greencard - success!

I did a similar trick, though my path was:

J1 -> H1B -> married a USC -> Marriage based Greencard

The H1B sponsorship was a discussed option with my employer, but the ring on my left hand made life easier, so my company at the time dealt with any legal fees for a marriage based greencard instead

Became a USC last year, just to finish it all up

Congrats to you by the way!
Old Jun 11th 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

When you apply based on the NIW, the H4 holder is able to apply for the work authorization while the NIW application is pending. Definitely a lot better than some of the alternative applications. USCIS took 7 months to approve the application, and the work authorization took 2 months, so I was able to work during that 5 month gap.
Yeah, I get it now Mike, I didn't understand the NIW thing, congratulations btw!!
Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:01 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Well, adjustment of status to permanent resident is always independent of your present status - is (usually) requires an approved immigrant petition, and an immigrant petition has no requirements as to your present status in the US. Its possible to adjust from a J visa to a green card, whether employment or family based, if you otherwise meet the requirements.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Past tense, apparently: http://www.hooyou.com/niw/News&Artic...t05112010.html