J-1 visa and police issues

Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:18 am
Just Joined

jimber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J-1 visa and police issues

Hey guys,
I have spent the last couple of summers working at a camp in the US. I am currently deciding whether to go back for a fourth, but I am wondering how difficult a J-1 visa would be to obtain this year. I was caught with a small amount of MDMA entering a nightclub last weekend, I have a voluntary police appointment next week, from what i've read online I should expect a warning/caution. I know these can show up on your CRB check, and in an ideal world I will get a fine/community service instead but I think that's pretty unlikely. So yeah, I was just wondering whether I have a chance of getting a visa for this summer? I'm a student so don't have a lot of money to waste on a visa application that's hihgly likely to be rejected. It was a totally out of character incidence and I have a perfectly clean record with no priors....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:37 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J-1 visa and police issues

Do you have a chance of a visa? Yes.

Is it a smaller chance now that you have a recent arrest/conviction for Class A drugs? Probably.

That's about as much as anyone here can tell you.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Do you have a chance of a visa? Yes.

Is it a smaller chance now that you have a recent arrest/conviction for Class A drugs? Probably.

That's about as much as anyone here can tell you.
Okay thanks, the previous two years I have submitted a postal application. I presume this year I should opt to go to the embassy so I have an opportunity to explain the incident?
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimber
Okay thanks, the previous two years I have submitted a postal application. I presume this year I should opt to go to the embassy so I have an opportunity to explain the incident?
I think you'd have to go to the embassy for interview with an issue such as this. You will need to present all the documentary evidence regarding the conviction and will most likely need an ACPO certificate as well.

Hope it works out for you.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I think you'd have to go to the embassy for interview with an issue such as this. You will need to present all the documentary evidence regarding the conviction and will most likely need an ACPO certificate as well.

Hope it works out for you.
Thanks for your help! I'll see how it goes on Monday and take it from there. I'm relieved that they don't flatly rule out those who have police cautions from obtaining a j-1 visa as I have read in other places
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

I'm not an expert on the J-1 and have no way of telling how strictly these types of difficulty are treated. In general, there doesn't appear to be anything stopping you from applying with a criminal history: http://london.usembassy.gov/exchange.html
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimber
Thanks for your help! I'll see how it goes on Monday and take it from there. I'm relieved that they don't flatly rule out those who have police cautions from obtaining a j-1 visa as I have read in other places
They might when the offense involves Class A drugs, you will never know until you present your application.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
They might when the offense involves Class A drugs, you will never know until you present your application.
I agree the OP has a metaphorical mountain to climb to be approved. The fact the offence is so recent/current is another massive obstacle that might prove too difficult to overcome. But like you say, nobody knows what will happen until the application is in and the interview takes place.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:56 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

It will most likely hinge on the disposition of the criminal manner. A conviction for possession of a controlled substance, but a caution would be unlikely to prevent visa issuance. Caution smaution.