Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

J-1 visa holder married to an US citizen for a year

J-1 visa holder married to an US citizen for a year

Old Jun 9th 2009, 9:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J-1 visa holder married to an US citizen for a year

Originally Posted by VanessaR
Persons NOT sponsored in this affidavit:
b. Yourself. (1)
c. If you are currently married, enter "1" for your spouse. (1)
On "c" here, you should put zero (0), because this is asking about people NOT sponsored on this affidavit. You ARE sponsoring your spouse on this affidavit, so this line is zero.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

VanessaR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rene!!!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Ok, I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm about to finish with all my forms and I am just double checking everything and I need help with form I-765:

It asks for my Current Immigration Status. I know I've asked this question too many times, but I'm not very sure.

And, probably the most important thing of this form is to determine the category I'm in. Question 16 is about Eligibility Categories. I believe I'm in (c) (9).

EAD Applicants who have files for Adjustment of Status.
A. Adjustment Applcant--(c)(9). File your EAD application with a copy of the receipt notice or other evidence that your Form I-485, Application for Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is pending. You may file Form I-765 together with your Form I-485.

Thank you so much...
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Oh, and I meant Thanks Noorah101, hehe
Thanks to everybody
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1. I guess you've overstayed your J-1, right? So I'm not sure either what to put as your current immigration status, as you have none. But I hesitate to say "none" and point your overstay out to USCIS. You could try "pending AOS".

2. Yes, category (c) (9) is correct.

Rene aka Noorah101 (LOL)
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Noorah101...or Rene...hehe...I copy/pasted my first post here so you could guide me a little bit

I truly hope you can help me with this so stressful process of adjustment of status. I've read your Guide on AOS and also I've checked several threads similar to my case.

So, my story goes like this...

I'm from Chile and I came to work to Washington (the state) on a J-1 visa on 2006 (Dec 06 to Mar 07). I stayed here the time that my visa granted me. I met a lot of people that year including my husband, of course we didn't know at the time. I went back to Chile and we kept emailing each other.

I came back to work to the same place (Washington) with the same program (J-1 visa) and worked from Dec 07 to Mar 08. The difference with the first year is that I got married in March (14/03/08). We got married just one day before my visa expired.

We wanted to file for my paperwork right after we got married but we couldn't because we didn't have the money to do it. In the meantime, we moved to Montana because he was offered a better job. At least that's what he thought, but we had to come back to Washington because the job was not as good as he thought.

We finally saved all the money for my paperwork and at the moment I'm filling out the forms, and it is a bit complicated with some things.

I have a few questions I wish you could help me with.

1)I do not know if I have an Alien Registration Number since I came here with a J-1 visa. Do I have one?
3) I do not know what is my current status according to the USCIS
4) I do not know if I'm out of status (which I don't think because I got married before my visa expired.

Oh, one more thing, I'm not subject to the 2 year rule on my J-1 visa.

I am a little bit desperate so I really hope you can help me.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:07 am

Actually, I already went back and read your first post. meauxna answered your 4 questions in Post #2.

What else is it you need guidance with?

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
On "c" here, you should put zero (0), because this is asking about people NOT sponsored on this affidavit. You ARE sponsoring your spouse on this affidavit, so this line is zero.

Rene
Please note that the USC fills this out, not you. So the part that says "yourself" refers to the USC, and the part that says "spouse" refers to you.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for clarifying!
You've been so helpful
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi, I need to know if any of you know a translator in Washington State. I need to translate my birth certificate from Spanish to English...
Also, if you guys don't know anybody, do you know how much would they charge for that more or less?

Thanks
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:43 am

Hi, I need to know if any of you know a translator in Washington State. I need to translate my birth certificate from Spanish to English...
Also, if you guys don't know anybody, do you know how much would they charge for that more or less?

Thanks
You can translate the document yourself, if you feel qualified to do so. You just need to put some "magic language" at the end...let me see if I can find it for you.

Edit to add: See this post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...38&postcount=4 and make the statement specific for a translation.

Rene
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Really? Are you sure I can translate it myself? That would be great because that's what I went to college for, well, I haven't finished my program yet, but that would be great!

I just read your link and that's going to be very helpful 'cause I'm working on those letters too.

Although, I remember reading on the instructions of the forms that it has to be a certified translator. Do you think that the same "magic language" applies here?

Thank you so much
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:49 am

Really? Are you sure I can translate it myself? That would be great because that's what I went to college for, well, I haven't finished my program yet, but that would be great!

I just read your link and that's going to be very helpful 'cause I'm working on those letters too.

Although, I remember reading on the instructions of the forms that it has to be a certified translator. Do you think that the same "magic language" applies here?

Thank you so much
Yes, it applies. You can be a certified translator. That magic language "certifies" you.

With our AOS, I submitted my own translation of my husband's foreign birth certificate (Farsi to English), and USCIS accepted it.

Rene
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Rene, let me tell you: you've made my day!

Thank you so much!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:55 am

Rene, let me tell you: you've made my day!

Thank you so much!
Cool! You're welcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.