J-1

Old Feb 12th 2002, 3:26 pm
Cee

Hello,

I'm from The Netherlands but have been in the US 5 months first few months on a M-1
Visa and than when I changed schools on a J-1 visa (Dec 2001), I don't have the 2
year go home and don't come back problem.

Me and my American girlfriend would like to get married. Now I have heard that when
we do that and I file for a change of status and I would go back to The Netherlands I
will not be allowed to get back into the US.

I read a lot of postings and I think what I need to do is file a advance parole
application, how long does that take to process? and how long is it valid?
Normally I go back to The Netherlands about every 6 weeks because I want to see my
kid over there!

Just to make sure I am doing the right thing!

After getting married: Complete the following forms:

I-130 I-485 I-864 G-325A I-765 I-131 IRS-9003 Go to my local INS office (Q: can I go
to one in another state) and wait?

Old Feb 12th 2002, 4:36 pm
Maarten W.G. Andries

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

If I understood correctly, you cannot leave and re-enter the United States while you
ar waiting for approval on a visa or status. However, your INS office can tell you
wether it is possible. You might be able to get a re-entry visa, with which you can
re-enter the United States.

I would apply for the visa *after* you get married because an I-130 is less
complicated then a K-1. I think it is also possible for your kid to join you as well.
Of course if the child is a minor the mother needs to approve of it, but technically
it is possible.

Last, I am also Dutch and moving to the States. See our progress at
http://www.dutchusa.com

Maarten

Old Feb 13th 2002, 3:55 am
Cee

Hi Andy,

Thanks for confirming what I already thought I have two more questions you might know
the answer to and I am not too sure about!

the advanced parole, the form calls a travel document is that just a stamp in my
Dutch passport? and more important, if I read the information correct it is only
intended for use in emergency situations (sick fam. members, dead in the fam.
etc) will I be able to use it otherwise (lets say I'd like a short vacation in
Hawaii or so)...

Cee

[usenetquote2]> > Hello,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I'm from The Netherlands but have been in the US 5 months first few[/usenetquote2]
months
[usenetquote2]> > on a M-1 Visa and than when I changed schools on a J-1 visa (Dec 2001),[/usenetquote2]
I
[usenetquote2]> > don't have the 2 year go home and don't come back problem.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Me and my American girlfriend would like to get married. Now I have[/usenetquote2]
heard
[usenetquote2]> > that when we do that and I file for a change of status and I would go[/usenetquote2]
back
[usenetquote2]> > to The Netherlands I will not be allowed to get back into the US.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I read a lot of postings and I think what I need to do is file a advance parole[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > application, how long does that take to process? and how long is[/usenetquote2]
it
[usenetquote2]> > valid? Normally I go back to The Netherlands about every 6 weeks because[/usenetquote2]
I
[usenetquote2]> > want to see my kid over there![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I-130 I-485 I-864 G-325A I-765 I-131 IRS-9003[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
all
    >
require
    >
    >
might
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Go to my local INS office (Q: can I go to one in another state) and wait?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 13th 2002, 10:33 am
Alvena Ferreira

Cee wrote:
    >
    >
In order to travel outside the US after you file AOS, you should file form I-131. You
do not need a specific reason to file it, but mention something like "vacation" or
"for possible family emergencies". You can file it at the same time you file the
other AOS documents.

>
    >
    >
You do not need advance parole to visit Hawaii, it is a part of the United States.
but you can use advance parole for any travel outside the US during the validity
period of the document. Be sure to specify that you want "multiple re-entry" when you
file the form.

Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org