Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

It's been a while... update and I751 Question

It's been a while... update and I751 Question

Old May 6th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice
Default It's been a while... update and I751 Question

Hiya,

It has been a while since I was nervously waiting for paperwork to get approved etc... in fact we have been happily married since October 2003 , thanks in part to the nerve-calming people here

I just filed my I-751, and got the letter back stating that "Your alien card is extended 1 year-employment and travel authorized."

Does this mean I can just carry the green card, or should I also carry the letter, or should I go to the local office (oh joy :P ) and get some sort of renewal stamp in my passport, as I may have to travel for work a little during the next year?

Thanks
Lee
Old May 6th 2006, 1:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's been a while... update and I751 Question

Originally Posted by leebarton
Does this mean I can just carry the green card, or should I also carry the letter, or should I go to the local office (oh joy :P ) and get some sort of renewal stamp in my passport, as I may have to travel for work a little during the next year?

Thanks
Lee
Hi Lee,

Nice to see you around again. For international traveling, you need to carry your expired green card, the extension letter, and your passport. I've seen others around here who keep a photocopy of the extension letter in their wallet all the time.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 6th 2006, 2:25 pm
New in the New world

what center? You will be able to travel most of the time - from now until your I-751 is reviewed. You will have time when you will not be allowed to travel (after your I-751 is reviewed until you get your new card).

Old May 14th 2006, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Lee,

Nice to see you around again. For international traveling, you need to carry your expired green card, the extension letter, and your passport. I've seen others around here who keep a photocopy of the extension letter in their wallet all the time.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hey Rene good to see you again

I think that is a great idea.. will take a copy and do that just to be safe.

We are just looking at selling and moving, so I am sure that will confuse the hell out of them too. Will have to file the Address change form to everywhere once we moved, and hope it catches up with the file at the local office (old) the new one , Vermont.... am I missing anywhere?

Was going to send the same form/letter to all those 3 places to be safer.

Lee
Old May 14th 2006, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Another question?

Is it normal for the receipt number you are sent for an I-751 to give a "No such receipt number" when you try and look it up online?

Does that mean there is no way of looking at the status online, or has someone messed up and i need to get it fixed?

Lee
Old May 14th 2006, 2:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

We are just looking at selling and moving, so I am sure that will confuse the hell out of them too. Will have to file the Address change form to everywhere once we moved, and hope it catches up with the file at the local office (old) the new one , Vermont.... am I missing anywhere?

Lee
I think you also have to call the USCIS 800 number and ask them to update your address (in addition to filing the Change of Address form).

Personally I would also send a copy of the form to the local office where the file currently is located.
Old May 14th 2006, 2:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Another question?

Is it normal for the receipt number you are sent for an I-751 to give a "No such receipt number" when you try and look it up online?

Does that mean there is no way of looking at the status online, or has someone messed up and i need to get it fixed?

Lee
It's not possible to look up I-751 status online.
Old May 14th 2006, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elvira
It's not possible to look up I-751 status online.
Thanks Elvira, it isnt just mine then

Oh well, no more logging in every single day 5 times to check like I did the original application.. I kinda miss those days... I found out we were approved from the online case status 3 days before we got it in the mail, so I am kinda attached to looking it up there hehe
Old May 14th 2006, 2:27 pm
Homebody

Thanks Elvira, it isnt just mine then

Oh well, no more logging in every single day 5 times to check like I did the original application.. I kinda miss those days... I found out we were approved from the online case status 3 days before we got it in the mail, so I am kinda attached to looking it up there hehe

I wouldn't rely on those online status notifcations for a minute! My son's status did not change for 2 months after he was supposedly approved...
Old May 14th 2006, 4:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Lee
For the change of address, do the following:
1. Submit your AR-11 (alien change of address)
2. Have the sponsor submit the I-865 (sponsor change of address)
3. Mail a written notice to the service center where you mailed your I-751, include a copy of the AR-11.
4. Mail a written notice to the new service center, include a copy of the AR-11.
5. Call the 800 misinformation line and notify them.
6. Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 for a couple of months just to make sure they get the information.

Oh, and Elvira's right, you can't look up the I-751 progress on line.

Best Wishes,
Rene