IRS filing

Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice
Default IRS filing

My husband a UK/US citizen is trying to do his back taxes for when we get to our interview. We have tried ringing the IRS lots of times but can never get through.
We have been told to file the last 3 years? The first 2 of which he was self employed.
Will he have to file 2 different forms?
One for self employed, one for employed?
Also does anyone know if the amount you earn goes against your petition? I
have looked through lots of previous threads and can't find anything about it.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRS filing

Originally Posted by janeth8711
My husband a UK/US citizen is trying to do his back taxes for when we get to our interview. We have tried ringing the IRS lots of times but can never get through.
Where is your husband living? Is he in the UK or the USA? If he's living in the UK, he should contact the IRS Department of the US Embassy in London. I've heard they are very responsive and very helpful.

We have been told to file the last 3 years?
Correct. At least the most recent 3 years. If he hasn't filed further back than that, and he needs to, he can do it after the interview...no hurry.

The first 2 of which he was self employed.
That will be up to the person helping him file, to decide. The main tax return is the same (1040), but there are supporting forms (Schedule C) for self-employed people. If he's in the UK, he should call the IRS Dept at the US Embassy in London for help. If he's in the USA, he should consult with a tax consultant (or CPA).

Also does anyone know if the amount you earn goes against your petition?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. He needs to be currently earning above the poverty guideline in order to do an I-864 affidavit of support for you. See Form I-864P for that amount. The 3 years of tax returns is a separate requirement.

Rene
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

Thanks Noorah,

We are both living in the UK. As I said in my post I've tried contacting them many times but have yet to speak to anyone.
He hasn't filed any before as it was only last year he found out he was a citizen.
We know about the I-864 and it's requirements that's not a problem as we sold our house.
Also you said there's no hurry to file, So does he need them for the interview? Confused
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Noorah,

We are both living in the UK. As I said in my post I've tried contacting them many times but have yet to speak to anyone.
He hasn't filed any before as it was only last year he found out he was a citizen.
We know about the I-864 and it's requirements that's not a problem as we sold our house.
Also you said there's no hurry to file, So does he need them for the interview? Confused
Your husband can contact a CPA in the USA for help also. He should find someone experienced with overseas earned income.

Yes, he needs the most recent 3 years filed for the interview. I was referring to the tax returns further back than that. No hurry on those.

Rene
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Also you said there's no hurry to file...
Read it again... Rene is specifically talking about tax returns older than 3 years.

Ian
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, thanks for that. Was just checking
Old Mar 5th 2012, 7:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The basic form is the same - Form 1040 (or 1040A or 1040-EZ, as may be appropriate). But, depending on the taxpayer's circumstances, there is a bewildering variety of additional forms that may be required to go along with the 1040. Being self-employed generally requires some things additional that a person working for 'The Man' does not require, such as perhaps a Schedule C.
We have been told to file the last 3 years? The first 2 of which he was self employed.

I don't understand what you mean by "goes against your petition", but I think the answer is 'no' because the petition is not concerned with anyone's income, or lack of it. The petition is to establish the relationship between a US citizen and the proposed alien visa applicant.
Also does anyone know if the amount you earn goes against your petition? I
have looked through lots of previous threads and can't find anything about it.
Regards, JEff
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:31 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Your husband can contact a CPA in the USA for help also. He should find someone experienced with overseas earned income.

Yes, he needs the most recent 3 years filed for the interview. I was referring to the tax returns further back than that. No hurry on those.

Rene
Contact Pete Newton
www.britishexpatstax.com. He's my accountant and several others on here. He knows the US and Uk side of things
Old Mar 6th 2012, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

We are in need of yet more help.
Husband US/UK citizen preparing first US taxes.Living in UK.
Having looked at the right form, almost all of the questions don't apply as we don't have all the taxes to claim back for.
We have an amount to put in as earned income the rest makes no sense
So we can't deduct anything and we don't want to claim anything.
My husband is seriously stressing.
Me too now
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:47 pm

Having looked at the right form, almost all of the questions don't apply as we don't have all the taxes to claim back for.
Me too now
Contact either:

The IRS Department at the US Embassy in London, or
A tax consultant or CPA in the USA, familiar with USC's living abroad.

This forum isn't able to help with individual tax filing questions.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2012, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Worth a try, thanks anyway
Old Mar 8th 2012, 4:19 pm

Worth a try, thanks anyway
You can try posting your question in the USA General Forum, where more tax related questions are asked.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2012, 4:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What form - should be forms (plural) - are you looking at?

Regards, JEff

Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Me too now
As has been said above get hold of Pete Newton www.britishexpatstax.com. He can help and it can all be done without the need to visit his office.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.