Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Introduction and Interview 29 December

Introduction and Interview 29 December

Old Dec 14th 2003, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Alistair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Introduction and Interview 29 December

Hello fellow finace(e)s!

I just thought I would introduce myself and thank you all for the helpful information I have found on this forum.

I went to a friend's wedding in New Jersey last year, and met a wonderful lady called Christine. I was a groomsman, she was a bridesmaid... Soon one e-mail a day grew to ten a day, and then e-mail just wouldn't do it anymore, so we started talking on the phone once a week, which quickly became once a day and before ntl could rub their hands with glee we were talking at least 3 hours every night. In the last year I have helped Continental Airlines stay in business making 10 trips to see Christine, and being a teacher she has been able to spend a few months here, after which I was sure that she was the one for me, and we were engaged in August.

We applied for the K1 visa in August (I-129F submitted to Vermont on the 20th, fact fans!), and the other day I got an interview date in London for 29th December. I wish I had found this site sooner - I have spent the last four months wondering about all kinds of questions without realising that the answers were right here!

I am hoping to move to New Jersey early in the new year, and I am lucky enough to have an employer who wants me to set up an American office, so I will keep working for the same company. I don't know what I will need to do about paying tax when I live in America, so if anyone could advise me on that matter, I would be most grateful!

Once again, thanks for all the great advice that people have posted here. I am afraid the only thing I have to offer is don't photocopy signatures on the I-129F! I will post anything I can about the interview and entry process, though!

Alistair
Old Dec 14th 2003, 12:20 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction and Interview 29 December

Hello. Welcome. Well done. Good luck. Report back.

Tax wise I don't have a clue but I do have a financial advisor for when I move to the US who's taking care of all that sort of stuff for me. Maybe you can get a good one in your area.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 12:21 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Alistair
Hello fellow finace(e)s!

I just thought I would introduce myself and thank you all for the helpful information I have found on this forum.

I went to a friend's wedding in New Jersey last year, and met a wonderful lady called Christine. I was a groomsman, she was a bridesmaid... Soon one e-mail a day grew to ten a day, and then e-mail just wouldn't do it anymore, so we started talking on the phone once a week, which quickly became once a day and before ntl could rub their hands with glee we were talking at least 3 hours every night. In the last year I have helped Continental Airlines stay in business making 10 trips to see Christine, and being a teacher she has been able to spend a few months here, after which I was sure that she was the one for me, and we were engaged in August.

We applied for the K1 visa in August (I-129F submitted to Vermont on the 20th, fact fans!), and the other day I got an interview date in London for 29th December. I wish I had found this site sooner - I have spent the last four months wondering about all kinds of questions without realising that the answers were right here!

I am hoping to move to New Jersey early in the new year, and I am lucky enough to have an employer who wants me to set up an American office, so I will keep working for the same company. I don't know what I will need to do about paying tax when I live in America, so if anyone could advise me on that matter, I would be most grateful!

Once again, thanks for all the great advice that people have posted here. I am afraid the only thing I have to offer is don't photocopy signatures on the I-129F! I will post anything I can about the interview and entry process, though!

Alistair
Congrats on your engagement and prompt interview date. As you may have already found out there are many less unfortunate people (including myself, haha) that have to go through MUCH slower service centers than yours (ie consider yourself lucky ). I also discovered this forum way late (as a matter of fact I was told of it on the day of my interview) and have since found it incredibly helpful. Good luck with your stuff!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 1:04 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hello fellow finace(e)s!

Alistair

WELCOME!!!!
You are not late!!, You can share your interview experience with us, Ask questions about your upcoming AOS, removal of conditions.. Green card and citizenship
Old Dec 14th 2003, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Welcome Alistair and congratulations!

In regards to your tax question --- Uncle Sam will be more than happy to take your money. Rest assured. Yes, you will need to file taxes in the U.S. As for the specifics, that is best left to people in the know.

Good luck.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you pay taxes here in America depends on how your overseas employer sets it up.

Originally posted by sphyrapicus
Welcome Alistair and congratulations!

In regards to your tax question --- Uncle Sam will be more than happy to take your money. Rest assured. Yes, you will need to file taxes in the U.S. As for the specifics, that is best left to people in the know.

Good luck.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by lpdiver
Whether you pay taxes here in America depends on how your overseas employer sets it up.
Thanks for the insight. Can you give me an example of a scenario where a permanent resident (assuming Alistair becomes one), would not have to pay taxes while working in the U.S.?

Take care.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

That is a question for an accountant. I only mentioned it because I work overseas from time to time and sometimes I have to pay taxes in the foreign country and sometimes I do not. You are MOST LIKELY correct. It may be in his interest to pay the taxes in his home country or it may not. Or there may be no option. It truly depends on how his "foreign" employer sets it up.

Sometimes when I work in Aruba I have to pay Arubian taxes and sometimes not. And I don't have to pay US taxes until foreign exclusion is met about $90,000.00

Like immigration it is one of those things that can pay off vastly if your homework is done in advance.

Thanks for the insight. Can you give me an example of a scenario where a permanent resident (assuming Alistair becomes one), would not have to pay taxes while working in the U.S.?

Take care.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by lpdiver
That is a question for an accountant. I only mentioned it because I work overseas from time to time and sometimes I have to pay taxes in the foreign country and sometimes I do not. You are MOST LIKELY correct. It may be in his interest to pay the taxes in his home country or it may not. Or there may be no option. It truly depends on how his "foreign" employer sets it up.

Sometimes when I work in Aruba I have to pay Arubian taxes and sometimes not. And I don't have to pay US taxes until foreign exclusion is met about $90,000.00

Like immigration it is one of those things that can pay off vastly if your homework is done in advance.
I agree.

Before I was a permanent resident I used to work in the U.S. and not have to pay taxes because of a tax treaty with my country. But, the minute I became a permanent resident that all changed real fast. Now I am a regular contributor to the American tax system.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Not to even mention issues for dual nationals if you so elect or by default become one.

I agree.

Before I was a permanent resident I used to work in the U.S. and not have to pay taxes because of a tax treaty with my country. But, the minute I became a permanent resident that all changed real fast. Now I am a regular contributor to the American tax system.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello fellow finace(e)s!

Alistair
Welcome and congratulations!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Alistair is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your kind welcoming words, everyone. They really are much appreciated!