Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview at US embassy- what to expect?

Interview at US embassy- what to expect?

Old May 10th 2015, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Eddie35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview at US embassy- what to expect?

Hi, what questions as a family can we expect to be asked when we go for our interview at the US Embassy in London. My husband's work takes us to the States, I won't be working and we have children. Will our children be asked questions?

Many thanks

Old May 11th 2015, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview at US embassy- what to expect?

Is this for an 'L' visa?

I was asked what company I worked for, how long I had worked there, my job title and where in the US would I be working. My wife wasn't asked anything other than to confirm her name, and my son (then aged 3) wasn't asked anything at all.

The whole "interview" was less than 2 mins (after about 3 hours of sitting in the waiting room for my number to be called).

I guess if they have "concerns" over your visa then there may be more questions, but I definitely get the impression that the case has pretty much been decided long before you get called in, and the interview is just a formality to check that you are a real person...
Old May 11th 2015, 12:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
.... the case has pretty much been decided long before you get called in, and the interview is just a formality to check that you are a real person...
This. Most interviews (mine was for a CR-1) end up sounding like the consular offical is making small talk while checking over the papers.

I do not believe children are interviewed, and have never heard of them being asked questions - were they even called to the interview?
Old May 11th 2015, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
I definitely get the impression that the case has pretty much been decided long before you get called in, and the interview is just a formality to check that you are a real person...
I agree, in my case (for an EB1 visa) the interview consisted of the interviewer flicking through a 2" pile of petition and asking random questions - at least one of which I got wrong by a factor of 10!

No kids but then it might have been a different visa type.
Old May 11th 2015, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

They asked me where I was working, and what the company did (cue nervous techno babble about computer things from me). I don't think they asked my wife anything, and we didn't take the kids (they were 7 and 9 at the time).

As above, it was about two minutes start to finish.
Old May 11th 2015, 7:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody mention the waterboarding?
Old May 11th 2015, 7:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Anybody mention the waterboarding?
Ssshhhh!
Old May 11th 2015, 7:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been reading the Guardian quite a bit.
Old May 12th 2015, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Eddie35 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's for an L visa. Thanks for all the replies and the humour! It's good to hear the children probably won't be expected to attend then!
Old May 12th 2015, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddie35
It's for an L visa. Thanks for all the replies and the humour! It's good to hear the children probably won't be expected to attend then!
Children aged 14 and over have to attend. My son (17 at the time) was asked his name. 16 yr old daughter was asked nothing, 12 yr old (who wasn't required to attend, but came with us anyway) was asked if he was looking forward to the move. This was Nov 14
Old May 13th 2015, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

My son was asked his thoughts on soccer versus football. My husband, who was the visa applicant, only had to give a quick definition of his job title. The conversation with my son lasted longer!
Old May 17th 2015, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

amariedavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, was wondering if I could jump in here and ask a question? We'll be attending the interview at the Embassy in London soon, but we have a 3yr old daughter (born in the USA), and we would ideally like to avoid bringing her to the interview as she could get quite restless. I am a US citizen and it will be my UK husband that is being interviewed. Will me and our daughter not attending hurt our case? Also, we'll be staying over the night prior to the day of the interview and will have a bag with us, if we do decide to join him at the interview, does anyone know of where we could leave our belongings?

Thanks guys!
Angelia
Old May 17th 2015, 1:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amariedavies
Will me and our daughter not attending hurt our case?
No, not at all. It is your husband's interview - you aren't expected to be there!

Also, we'll be staying over the night prior to the day of the interview and will have a bag with us, if we do decide to join him at the interview, does anyone know of where we could leave our belongings?
If you want to attend, you must add your names to the list of people allowed to enter - using the "contact us" page on the London web site. You can't take a suitcase into the Embassy compound so best to leave it at your hotel and pick it up later. IMHO, it's simply easier not to attend... less stress for all.

Ian
Old May 17th 2015, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

amariedavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, not at all. It is your husband's interview - you aren't expected to be there!

If you want to attend, you must add your names to the list of people allowed to enter - using the "contact us" page on the London web site. You can't take a suitcase into the Embassy compound so best to leave it at your hotel and pick it up later. IMHO, it's simply easier not to attend... less stress for all.

Ian
Thank you very much Ian, you've always been so helpful!
Old May 17th 2015, 7:49 am
Just Joined

LinzRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, I have a query, we have our interview on Friday morning for an L1 visa for my spouse, myself and my twins (4), we are applying for L2 visas. We have been advised that we all need to attend.

Does anyone know if I can take an I pad mini in with me, was going to download some bbc I player stuff and games to keep kids busy. Anyone know if this is allowed, as could not see it on the website. Or can I take sticker books and felt pens.

Also am I allowed to take some food with me? Our appointment is at 10am and been told to allow 4 hours, so right over lunch. What sort of food and juice can you get?

Is a small hand bag bag ?

Thanks guys
Lindsay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.