Interview question

Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

aish84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview question

My husband has his interview at the embassy in London very soon. I wanted to ask those who have had their interview whether I will be asked any questions by the consular officer if I attend with my husband? Or do I have to just take a seat whilst he has his interview? If someone could please confirm

Many thanks!!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview question

Originally Posted by aish84
I wanted to ask those who have had their interview whether I will be asked any questions by the consular officer if I attend with my husband?
Even if you are allowed into the Embassy compound, you will not be asked any questions. This interview is for him, not you.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

One last query: but before I start I would like to first give some background information:

My husband and I (no kids) will be relying on our assets (which is $60,000 savings ) as our income will be zero once we move to the states. We will also show evaluation of our car & that we will have the cash for the car in under 12 months. We have a lease ready for our future tenants who are going to rent our house in the u.k & just incase it helps, my husband will show the lease at the interview (as we will be getting the rent money into our account every month)

My query is, I have a copy of my 2012 tax return I filed at the IRS dpt in london in january but silly me forgot to get a copy of my 2010 & 2011 tax returns which were filed at the IRS in dec 2012. Do you think they will ask my husband for my 2010 & 2011 tax returns at the interview? I can't order transcripts as I was advised it takes 8-12 weeks for tax returns to process and my husband's interview is this month. I was thinking of getting a letter from my employer stating my earnings for 2010 & 2011 but not sure if it will be necessary?

If someone could pls advice.

Many Thanks!!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

One last query: but before I start I would like to first give some background information:

My husband and I (no kids) will be relying on our assets (which is $60,000 savings ) as our income will be zero once we move to the states. We will also show evaluation of our car & that we will have the cash for the car in under 12 months.
Does the $60,000 figure above include the car value? If it does, and the amount it contributes brings you above the 3 x 125% of the poverty line figure (see form I-864P for the current rates) then you may have an issue if the ConOff is sceptical about you realising that asset.

We have a lease ready for our future tenants who are going to rent our house in the u.k & just incase it helps, my husband will show the lease at the interview (as we will be getting the rent money into our account every month)
As that appears to be future income, not current income that will continue from the same source after your husband immigrates it's unlikely the ConOff will take it into account.

My query is, I have a copy of my 2012 tax return I filed at the IRS dpt in london in january but silly me forgot to get a copy of my 2010 & 2011 tax returns which were filed at the IRS in dec 2012. Do you think they will ask my husband for my 2010 & 2011 tax returns at the interview? I can't order transcripts as I was advised it takes 8-12 weeks for tax returns to process and my husband's interview is this month. I was thinking of getting a letter from my employer stating my earnings for 2010 & 2011 but not sure if it will be necessary?
Your husband will almost certainly be required to submit the 2010 & 2011 returns, and if he can't supply them at the interview, the ConOff will give him instructions on how to submit them, but your husband won't be getting his visa until that requirement is met. I'd suggest calling the IRS unit at the Embassy to see if they can help.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We will also show evaluation of our car & that we will have the cash for the car in under 12 months.
Since you have enough in cash assets, I suggest not even bothering with the car, unless it's some sort of specialty or antique car. If it's the vehicle you use on a daily basis, the ConOff will probably not take it into account.

We have a lease ready for our future tenants who are going to rent our house in the u.k & just incase it helps, my husband will show the lease at the interview (as we will be getting the rent money into our account every month)
It probably won't help unless the house is actually rented to the tenants at the time he goes for his interview. Future income cannot be counted on the I-864.

My query is, I have a copy of my 2012 tax return I filed at the IRS dpt in london in january but silly me forgot to get a copy of my 2010 & 2011 tax returns which were filed at the IRS in dec 2012. Do you think they will ask my husband for my 2010 & 2011 tax returns at the interview?
There's no way of knowing. They aren't required, but the ConOff has the right to ask for them if he thinks they will be helpful in making his decision.

I can't order transcripts as I was advised it takes 8-12 weeks for tax returns to process and my husband's interview is this month. I was thinking of getting a letter from my employer stating my earnings for 2010 & 2011 but not sure if it will be necessary?
No, that's not necessary. It's the actual tax return (or transcripts) they will want to see. If you had someone help you do your taxes, get in touch with them and see if they can give you a photocopy. If you used some kind of tax software, see if you can retrieve a copy online. If you can't do either of those, go to the interview and hope for the best.

Rene
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:08 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You might be allowed to stand with your husband during his interview or you might be told to go take a seat. And you might be asked some questions - I'm thinking with regard to the I-864 should the consular officer want any clarifications about it.

Regards, JEff

My husband has his interview at the embassy in London very soon. I wanted to ask those who have had their interview whether I will be asked any questions by the consular officer if I attend with my husband?

Or do I have to just take a seat whilst he has his interview? If someone could please confirm
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Roy, thanks for the information. The car is not included in the asset it would be separate. We have 60,000 in our savings account. Will this be ok?

As for my tax returns I guess I will have to ring IRS to see what my options are.

Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene and Jeff! Appreciate all your help.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Roy, thanks for the information. The car is not included in the asset it would be separate. We have 60,000 in our savings account. Will this be ok?
Check against form I-864P from the USCIS website. So long as it's more than 3 x the 125% of poverty line figure for your household size, you should be fine.

As for my tax returns I guess I will have to ring IRS to see what my options are.
Rene pointed out that only the most recent year is actually required, so you may be OK. Worst case is a slight delay until you get the returns sorted and sent to the ConOff.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your help. Just rang the international irs dpt in philadelphia and they have processed my 2009-2012 tax returns just last week!! yayy! however takes 7-10 days if need copy by post or they can fax it instantly however i have to be standing right front of the fax! as fax is at work will ring them back tomorrow. well that was a close one! my husband's interview is in a week :-0
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to www.uscis.gov, Form I-864P. Look at the 125% column for your household size. Multiply that figure by 3. If $60K is over that amount, then you should be OK.

Rene
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thank You!