Interim EAD's

Old Jun 24th 2004, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

antcrook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interim EAD's

Hi all,

I was wondering what the point was of obtaining an interim EAD.

Is it to make your prospective employer happy that you are legally allowed to work?

If you have done your time (i.e waited 90 days for the EAD) and do not get the interim EAD, are you still allowed to work if , you already have a SSN, and your employer is happy that the official EAD will be approved soon.

Ant
Old Jun 24th 2004, 4:56 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interim EAD's

Originally posted by antcrook
Hi all,

I was wondering what the point was of obtaining an interim EAD.

Is it to make your prospective employer happy that you are legally allowed to work?

If you have done your time (i.e waited 90 days for the EAD) and do not get the interim EAD, are you still allowed to work if , you already have a SSN, and your employer is happy that the official EAD will be approved soon.

Ant
Depends on who you ask. Some people say yes, others say no.

Personally, I think that if you've already waited the 90 days, then you might as well get the interim EAD as you're eligible for it anyway. Why wouldn't you?

You might want to check out another recent thread, which talks about this sort of thing (sort of)...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=237918

~ Jenney
Old Jun 24th 2004, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Depends on who you ask. Some people say yes, others say no.

Personally, I think that if you've already waited the 90 days, then you might as well get the interim EAD as you're eligible for it anyway. Why wouldn't you?

You might want to check out another recent thread, which talks about this sort of thing (sort of)...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=237918

~ Jenney
I live about 12 hours away from my nearest local office - Detroit. Is it possible to obatin an iterim EAD from an Application Support Center??

Another way of phrasing the main question would be; do you have implicit Employment Authorization after day 91 or do you need explicit (the EAD card in hand) authorization.

Ant
Old Jun 29th 2004, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

I live about 12 hours away from my nearest local office - Detroit. Is it possible to obatin an iterim EAD from an Application Support Center??

Another way of phrasing the main question would be; do you have implicit Employment Authorization after day 91 or do you need explicit (the EAD card in hand) authorization.

Ant
Well, today is day 91 of "processing" my EAD., and no update on my status. I guess I'll have to brave the 12 hour drive to Detroit and get the interim EAD.

Has anyone been to the Detroit local office recently? I would like to get some sort of idea on how long I can expect to wait and how early I should get there. I was planning on going on July 6, right after the long weekend, so it could be busy.

Ant
Old Jun 29th 2004, 3:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, today is day 91 of "processing" my EAD., and no update on my status. I guess I'll have to brave the 12 hour drive to Detroit and get the interim EAD.

Has anyone been to the Detroit local office recently? I would like to get some sort of idea on how long I can expect to wait and how early I should get there. I was planning on going on July 6, right after the long weekend, so it could be busy.

Ant
A semi-related question....during the AOS interview, has anyone been asked directly "did you work without an EAD at any point from the time you've entered the USA?" Just curious how far back they look at employment, and if they ask you point-blank if you've worked illegally.

Rene
Old Jun 29th 2004, 5:09 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

My understanding was that you weren't legal to work w/o EAD in hand. Also, I didn't think you could get a SSN that allowed for working w/o being legal to work.

In your timeline, it says: 04-20-2004 I-765 Biometrics at Duluth,MN
05-05-2004 I-485 Biometrics and fingerprinting at Grand Rapids, MI

Which is closer? I'd give a call & see if you could go there for Interum EAD. We did our Interum at Indianapolis.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 5:16 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Vik,

A K1 can get a SS card without having an EAD, if they apply for it within the 'window if opportunity' between entry and 76 days in country. (A K1 "legal to work" (employment authorized) whether or not they have an EAD, but an employer is not allowed to hire them if they don't have one.)

Don't know if this is applicable to Ant.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Simon&Vik
... I didn't think you could get a SSN that allowed for working w/o being legal to work.

Which is closer? I'd give a call & see if you could go there for Interum EAD. We did our Interum at Indianapolis.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

lfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura about

My understanding was that you weren't legal to work w/o EAD in hand. Also, I didn't think you could get a SSN that allowed for working w/o being legal to work.

hi simon&vik,

totally OT but was wondering what part of indiana u r from? i'm in the northern part.

linda
Old Jun 29th 2004, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

lfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura about

hi simon&vik,

totally OT but was wondering what part of indiana u r from? i'm in the northern part.

linda
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:39 am
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lfaridi
hi simon&vik,

Kinda the central part.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
(A K1 "legal to work" (employment authorized) whether or not they have an EAD, but an employer is not allowed to hire them if they don't have one.)
The same is true, incidentally, of K-3s.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity ... why do you have to go to Detroit. Can you not go to the Sault Ste. Marie INS Office for this?

I know you use to be able to file for AOS there and it was one of the few offices that did instant AOS for K-1 visa holders. Alas, those days are gone but wonder if you tried calling them.

Rete

Ant
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Rete
Out of curiosity ... why do you have to go to Detroit. Can you not go to the Sault Ste. Marie INS Office for this?

I know you use to be able to file for AOS there and it was one of the few offices that did instant AOS for K-1 visa holders. Alas, those days are gone but wonder if you tried calling them.

Rete
I was under the impression that the Sault ste Marie office was an application support center. When I phone the 1-800 to schedule my biometrics and fingerprinting they could never get a response on their computer, they always claimed there was something wrong with the system, and that I should phone back later. After phoning back later for a week I realized that there was something wrong with that particular office. I asked the 1-800 operator to try duluth ASC and I got an appointment the next day.

Is is possible to obtain an interim EAD from an ASC or do you think that the Sault ste marie office is different. At any rate I will try and phone them today.

Ant
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that the Sault ste Marie office was an application support center. When I phone the 1-800 to schedule my biometrics and fingerprinting they could never get a response on their computer, they always claimed there was something wrong with the system, and that I should phone back later. After phoning back later for a week I realized that there was something wrong with that particular office. I asked the 1-800 operator to try duluth ASC and I got an appointment the next day.

Is is possible to obtain an interim EAD from an ASC or do you think that the Sault ste marie office is different. At any rate I will try and phone them today.

Ant

The USCIS site lists it as an application support center. However, the Detroit site does say they are accepting in person applications for interim EADs if you have proof you have waited longer than 90 days from initial application. So if you want to take two days off from work, seems that is where you will have to go.

Rete
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
The USCIS site lists it as an application support center. However, the Detroit site does say they are accepting in person applications for interim EADs if you have proof you have waited longer than 90 days from initial application. So if you want to take two days off from work, seems that is where you will have to go.

Rete
Out of curiosity here Rete, how can one show proof of having waited 90 days from initial date of application? We file Scott's I-765 on June 1st, but the NOA we received for it was dated June 14th. We were given no 'cashier' receipt when we filed. Besides the date written on the check, how else could we prove a filing date of June 1st? Or do we just have to go by the receipt date on the NOA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.