Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

From INS to USCIS, same crap - different abbreviation

From INS to USCIS, same crap - different abbreviation

Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

cornish_pasty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From INS to USCIS, same crap - different abbreviation

Originally Posted by meauxna
Two possibilites that come to my mind are:
-The AOS was approved
-The AOS was denied

OK, one other:
-The EAD was filed incorrectly
Well the EAD rejection came before the AOS security checks were cleared, so I don't know. Plus, we sent the papers to the Vermont center initially, only to have them all sent back to us a month later, to be sent to the Chicago office (if I remember right). The good thing was that they were meticulously categorized & stapled, so I guess someone did go through them all & checked that everything was there & filled in correctly.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
OK, but if the AOS was approved, wouldn't he get the stamp or something saying such, and thus doesn't need the EAD anymore?

And if the AOS was denied, wouldn't they have told him so, and what he needs to do about it?

I guess filing the EAD incorrectly would cause a denial instead of an RFE. But I guess we (even he) won't know the real reason unless he can get his hands on a copy of that denial letter he never received.

Thanks,
Rene
Exactly, good or bad, would be nice to know that outcome. Plus,I've been extremely patient so far.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
<shrug> Maybe he didn't ask the right questions, he put someone off or like Rete suggested, he got a jerk clerk and just didn't get the info. Something's surely missing.
The guy showed me a printout that said "denied", but stapled it with the other enquiry forms that I filled out while I was there. I asked for it but he said it was not for me.

Last edited by cornish_pasty; Apr 6th 2005 at 4:11 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
From USCIS' point of view, they're giving (or not giving, unfortunately) you the documents required for *you* to work. It's not their concern, nor should it be IMHO, whether you work for others or for yourself - or hire others to work for you. I agree though, it's ironic.

Ian
True, but I think it's always been their #1 concern that the applicant gets to work fast & pay taxes (good for the government), instead of becoming a burden on the society.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornish_pasty
True, but I think it's always been their #1 concern that the applicant gets to work fast & pay taxes (good for the government), instead of becoming a burden on the society.
I don't think they give a whit whether you (general "you" not specific "you") work or not, nor whether you're a burden - after all, that's what a sponsor is for! Ah... maybe I'm just too cynical.

Ian
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg14624
From the attitude you've exhibited here on this forum I imagine you carry that same attitude along when you deal with the government employees. It's no surprise you are encountering rude behavior in response. As for your business venture, don't pretend to be a charitable philanthropist who is going to hire Americans out of the kindness of your heart. If you could make more money and have a similar quality of life somewhere else, you'd be there.

What status did your enter under before seeking to adjust? I imagine if she had come with a K-1 or an immigrant visa she would have her work authorization and green card *years* ago.

I agree that INS/BCIS/USCIS are often slow, disorganized, rude, and even incompetant, but that's the way the system is. Don't take it personally. They get bombarded with bogus applications by the thousand and are lied to all day long. Blame all of the scumbags with fraudulent applications for slowing things down.

I do hope your status gets sorted out soon though. It sounds like you've waited too long.

Good luck.
Well not quite, I write here expressing my exasperation, but I keep an upbeat tone & a smily face when dealing with those ppl. Some of them were quite nice & polite actually, but some don't even bother to greet you when you say hello or good morning to them. They just want you out of their faces asap. One guy even said "you ppl always...", refering to me & other applicants. weeding out fraudulent apps is one thing, but granting Mohammed Atta a visa 6 mths after 9/11 is something else.

As to my business, I wouldn't have to hire one single American worker if I didn't want to. I can hire foreign workers here in NY and have everything made in China or elsewhere cheaper than the US. The reason why I want to give US workers opportunities is that I want to share what I have, i.e. I make money in this country, so I create job opps & give them to the ppl of this country too. I remember one sweet American lady in Missouri who lost her job in manufacturing because some smucks in NY were too busy playing "solitaire" all day long, intead of generating sales. She is the type that I want to help.

I came here on an H-1B, didn't think I'd be here longer than 2 yrs. Now I have a wife & kid so I guess I belong here.

Thanks for your wishes!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't think they give a whit whether you (general "you" not specific "you") work or not, nor whether you're a burden - after all, that's what a sponsor is for! Ah... maybe I'm just too cynical.

Ian
Maybe. I'd say better have 2 taxpayers than one. What makes this country so economically powerful is its shameless desire to generate revenues.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Sunsona19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I live in NY 2, it seems like all the problems come from NY.... Im going tomorrow actually to check on my stauts and to re-new my stamp.. hopefully they wont give me hard time..