INS proposed "Snowbird change"

Old May 15th 2002, 1:20 pm
Dennis

Default INS proposed "Snowbird change"

It seems that US INS has proposed provisions that could restrict tourist to a maximum
30 day stay in the US. Under current regulations, Canadian travellers to the US can
stay in the country for as long as 6 months. Does anyone know if this applies to
Americans who are "Permanent Residents" in Canada? I am an American who owns a
business in Canada and am applying for "Permanent Residency" but would not if I can
only return to the US for 30 days a year. I know this is in the formative stages, but
does anyone know if this will affect me?

Old May 15th 2002, 3:20 pm
Stuart Brook

Default Re: INS proposed "Snowbird change"

Dennis wrote:
    >
    > It seems that US INS has proposed provisions that could restrict tourist to a
    > maximum 30 day stay in the US. Under current regulations, Canadian travellers to
    > the US can stay in the country for as long as 6 months. Does anyone know if this
    > applies to Americans who are "Permanent Residents" in Canada? I am an American who
    > owns a business in Canada and am applying for "Permanent Residency" but would not
    > if I can only return to the US for 30 days a year. I know this is in the formative
    > stages, but does anyone know if this will affect me?

As an American citizen, this does NOT apply to you. That you are a PR in Canada is
irrelevent to the USA. All the INS care about is your US citizenship which permits
you to enter the US anytime for any duration (well, except when they closed the
borders as on Sept 11.

Stuart

Old May 15th 2002, 9:20 pm
Shelley

Stuart is right - US citizens cannot be barred from entering the US simply because
they live in another country. But since you brought up the Canadian Snowbird issue
http://www.snowbirds.org/html/press/april23_02.html Take Care. Shelley

"Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > Dennis wrote:
    > >
    > > It seems that US INS has proposed provisions that could restrict tourist to a
    > > maximum 30 day stay in the US. Under current regulations, Canadian travellers to
    > > the US can stay in the country for as long as 6 months. Does anyone know if this
    > > applies to Americans who are "Permanent Residents" in Canada? I am an American
    > > who owns a business in Canada and am applying for "Permanent Residency" but would
    > > not if I can only return to the US for 30 days a year. I know this is in the
    > > formative stages, but does anyone know if this will affect me?
    >
    > As an American citizen, this does NOT apply to you. That you are a PR in Canada is
    > irrelevent to the USA. All the INS care about is your US citizenship which permits
    > you to enter the US anytime for any duration (well, except when they closed the
    > borders as on Sept 11.
    >
    > Stuart

Old May 16th 2002, 3:20 am
Stephen C. Gall

"Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > It seems that US INS has proposed provisions that could restrict tourist to a
    > maximum 30 day stay in the US.

It's not that there would be a maximum stay of 30 days. It would make 30 days the
amount of time that would be authorized, unless the person can demonstrate why he
needs more than 30 days.

> Under current regulations, Canadian travellers to the US can stay in the country
    > for as long as 6 months.

And they still would be allowed to stay for as long as six months, as long as they
give evidence to the officer who admits them, that they should be admitted for
that period.

> Does anyone know if this applies to Americans who are "Permanent Residents"
    > in Canada? I am an American who owns a business in Canada and am applying for
    > "Permanent Residency" but would not if I can only return to the US for 30
    > days a year.

If you're a US citizen, you're not subject to any restriction on the amount of time
that you an enter the US, even if you do not live in the US. A US citizen has a right
to enter the US for as long as he or she wishes.

Stephen Gallagher

Old May 16th 2002, 4:20 am
James Donovan

"Shelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] s.com>...
    > Stuart is right - US citizens cannot be barred from entering the US simply because
    > they live in another country. But since you brought up the Canadian Snowbird issue
    > http://www.snowbirds.org/html/press/april23_02.html Take Care. Shelley

Also about snowbirds...

Many Canadians overstay visitor status just like people from other countries. Why
should they be exempt from the new 30 day rule? IIRC, the borders with Mexico and
Canada were a source for concern after Sep. 11.

IMHO, a better solution, would be another class of visa for snow birds, and perform
background checks, and make sure that they don't stay for more than 6 months.

Old May 16th 2002, 7:20 am
Stuart Gill

You're right - the US should enforce the 30 day rule and those Canadian snowbirds
should sell up their condos and spend the winter (and their retirement dollars) in
Mexico or the Carribean.

Stuart

In article <[email protected]> , James Donovan
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Shelley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected] s.com>...
    > > Stuart is right - US citizens cannot be barred from entering the US simply
    > > because they live in another country. But since you brought up the Canadian
    > > Snowbird issue http://www.snowbirds.org/html/press/april23_02.html Take Care.
    > > Shelley
    >
    > Also about snowbirds...
    >
    > Many Canadians overstay visitor status just like people from other countries. Why
    > should they be exempt from the new 30 day rule? IIRC, the borders with Mexico and
    > Canada were a source for concern after Sep. 11.
    >
    > IMHO, a better solution, would be another class of visa for snow birds, and perform
    > background checks, and make sure that they don't stay for more than 6 months.