Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Informing Agencies about leaving the US

Informing Agencies about leaving the US

Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

stllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nice
Default Informing Agencies about leaving the US

Is there a requirement to inform Homeland Security if you are a green card holder and are returning to the UK? Their website has a change of address for moving within the US but nothing for leaving the country. This also raises the question about how long the Green card is good for once you leave. Can you return after , say, a year or will they expect you to revert back to the visa waiver scheme? Any ideas? Thanks!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Informing Agencies about leaving the US

Originally Posted by stllurnin48
Is there a requirement to inform Homeland Security if you are a green card holder and are returning to the UK? Their website has a change of address for moving within the US but nothing for leaving the country. This also raises the question about how long the Green card is good for once you leave. Can you return after , say, a year or will they expect you to revert back to the visa waiver scheme? Any ideas? Thanks!
Well the GC is for *permanent* residency in the USA; I understand that you need to enter the States at least every 6 months (a long weekend won't cut it) but still need to show that you are retaining strong links there eg. a property, bank accounts, paying into a pension 401k etc. and you still need to file Federal and if necessary, State taxes annually.

My spouse returned his GC, but made an appointment to do so at an American Embassy. They gave him a 2 minute interview to ensure he really wanted to give it up, then gave him a form to sign and they retained the GC.

I guess if you don't do anything, it will 'time out' but you still need to file taxes every year or you could face a huge problem years later if you want to visit the US and didn't send in your tax returns!

My spouse still returns to the US on business and leisure and has no problems at all (he did pay in full all the $$$ in taxes that were demanded) he just completes a visa waiver (which will soon be done electronically only, they're getting rid of the paper forms which the airlines give out).
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Informing Agencies about leaving the US

Just a quick question:

How long have you actually held the Green Card for? It may have a bearing on what you may wish to do.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

stllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nice
Default Re: Informing Agencies about leaving the US

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just a quick question:

How long have you actually held the Green Card for? It may have a bearing on what you may wish to do.
About 3 years or so, Englishmum.

My OH and I have already moved back to the UK, having sold our house etc.

We have no plans to spend any real length of time over there for the time being other than the occasional trips to visit her US family. I guess that means that it will expire after 6 months but I should still inform them that I have left the country, is that right? Who do I tell?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stllurnin48
About 3 years or so, Englishmum.

My OH and I have already moved back to the UK, having sold our house etc.

We have no plans to spend any real length of time over there for the time being other than the occasional trips to visit her US family. I guess that means that it will expire after 6 months but I should still inform them that I have left the country, is that right? Who do I tell?

Thanks for your help!
If you are sure that you don't want to move back to the US permanently, you would be better off filing an Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status ( form I-407) petition with the US embassy in London. Otherwise you will be liable to worldwide tax as a US permanent resident. Note that your PR status does not expire after a given period - you are considered a PR until a US immigration judge decides you have abandoned the status.

This application appears to be free of charge.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newXgate
If you are sure that you don't want to move back to the US permanently, you would be better off filing an Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status ( form I-407) petition with the US embassy in London. Otherwise you will be liable to worldwide tax as a US permanent resident. Note that your PR status does not expire after a given period - you are considered a PR until a US immigration judge decides you have abandoned the status.

This application appears to be free of charge.
Yes, this worked for me when I abandoned my Permanent Residence status. I filed the form with the US Embassy in the UK. Then I was able to enter the US as a tourist for several years, and became a US Permanent Resident again a few years later.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help. Just filled in the form to send off. I guess we may return to the US in years to come but not for the time being. You never know!