Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

An Inch away from Citizenship them Boom

An Inch away from Citizenship them Boom

Old Mar 29th 2015, 5:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Inch away from Citizenship them Boom

Originally Posted by crg
Did both green cards have the same alien file number? Perhaps CIS needs to review another file before proceeding.
That is a possibility. When I was in practice, I had more than one naturalization which was held up by the fact that the person had two "A" numbers and it was necessary to combine the files.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Neillc37 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife took the test today. They told he my paper work is now in order and to come in for the oath. I am now a citizen with $250 still in my bank account.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:54 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neillc37
My wife took the test today. They told he my paper work is now in order and to come in for the oath. I am now a citizen with $250 still in my bank account.
Thanks for the advice.
Congratulations. Don't forget to register to vote. If you don't vote, I am of the opinion you forfeit your right to bitch.

[I kind of love places where they can swear you in administratively immediately. The local district courts have the right to assume that responsibility and the Central District of California has exercised that right -- it seems that oath ceremonies are a lot of fun for District Court judges.].
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Congratulations. Don't forget to register to vote. If you don't vote, I am of the opinion you forfeit your right to bitch.
I already did that. I am now looking at that SS-5 form.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I already did that. I am now looking at that SS-5 form.
Are you using the SS-5 form to update your citizenship status? We took our passports into the local SSA office to do that. I didn't even know we had to do that until about 5 years after becoming a USC. My daughter's student loan was delayed because the Dept of Education could not verify her claim to be a US citizen (apparently they use the same system that the SSA uses to verify immigrant status).

Oh and congratulations!
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Are you using the SS-5 form to update your citizenship status? We took our passports into the local SSA office to do that. I didn't even know we had to do that until about 5 years after becoming a USC. My daughter's student loan was delayed because the Dept of Education could not verify her claim to be a US citizen (apparently they use the same system that the SSA uses to verify immigrant status).

Oh and congratulations!
I did SS-5 the day after I got citizenship. I read it's important to get the change into the SS database as lots of stuff looks at that. When I got there they said that I had naturalized only the day before and their computer system had not been updated yet. So why make me take a piece of paper to SS physically when they know about it anyway? They copied it and say my records will update when they get the data. I did the passport the day after that and they took the piece of paper I was told to guard so carefully!
Thanks for looking out for me. My children are natural born citizens so I don't have to do anything for them.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 3:11 pm
BE Commentator

My children are natural born citizens so I don't have to do anything for them.
I once represented a family where the natural born citizens of parents who were considered to have abandoned US LPR. For STATE residency purposes in University, they were were considered non-California residents despite their having been "parachute kids" educated in California because their parents residence is the one that counted.

I found it weird, but UC was insistent. Litigation to correct it would have exceeded the amount of non-resident tuition at the time. [It may have been worth it now, but that is a different story].
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I once represented a family where the natural born citizens of parents who were considered to have abandoned US LPR. For STATE residency purposes in University, they were were considered non-California residents despite their having been "parachute kids" educated in California because their parents residence is the one that counted.

I found it weird, but UC was insistent. Litigation to correct it would have exceeded the amount of non-resident tuition at the time. [It may have been worth it now, but that is a different story].
When you rely on government to fund something they can pull all sorts of tricks. Me I stuffed enough money into 529's to fund an expensive university. Even if they decided to tax the 529 gains I'll be retired and they just won't be able to get much out of me. Going to CA only for a few weeks vacation scares the hell out of me. They consider my money theirs down there.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

They copied it and say my records will update when they get the data. I did the passport the day after that and they took the piece of paper I was told to guard so carefully!
I had an issue with SSA and naturalizing almost 5 years ago, although it eventually worked out fine.

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I had an issue with SSA and naturalizing almost 5 years ago, although it eventually worked out fine.

Ian
They gave me a letter telling me they will send me a new card in a few weeks. My wife got one to. If we don't get that then I brave the oldies again at the SS office. Two oldies were shouting at each other outside as they waited till the office opened. They were arguing over if it's right for a company to only offer a low number of hours a week for work.