Inadmissibility and denial

Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:44 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inadmissibility and denial

Originally Posted by pitymetorockypoint
I am fully aware of this. However in my case the magistrates gave me a fine of £250, This indicates to me that they thought a 6 month prison sentence would be an unjust punishment.

And under the crown prosecutions sentencing guidelines i fell into this category: Property <£1K for own use. Fine or Community Order. Surely this has to be taken into account when they determine what the maximum sentence could have been?
All correct but it doesn't take from the fact that the maximum sentence could have been 14 years. You can put what ever spin you like on it, it is no concern of mine, however as others have pointed out it is the maximum sentence that interests US immigration. I was indicating that the maximum sentence is still the same regardless of which court the case was heard in, as Ian thought a magistrate being limited in sentencing power might change that, or whatever the Clown Prosecutions guidelines say.

Everything else goes towards mitigation to the US authorities why they should grant a visa when you present you application.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
But if the magistrates thinks that 6 months isn't enough and it warrants a longer sentence they can send the case to the Crown Court for sentencing.

So just because the case is heard by a magistrate it doesn't limit the sentence that could be imposed to no more than 6 months.
I think that a legal consultation is in order. The body of law of what we in California call "wobblers" can be interesting. The BIA just came out with a case the other day on a related subject -- one that involved Washington State.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I think that a legal consultation is in order. The body of law of what we in California call "wobblers" can be interesting. The BIA just came out with a case the other day on a related subject -- one that involved Washington State.
If I understood that judgement correctly, it would widen the net for what might be considered CIMT.