Immigration Visa question!!

Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

kaki83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Immigration Visa question!!

I have a question about the joint affidavit of support paper for the immigration visa to the States.
On my appointment day, I was told to resend my joint affidavit of support paper because it wasn't the original. I dont even understand why they asked me to resend it.
I obtained a new one recently and I want to make sure its acceptable. It was filled out by my friend in the states, who makes about $55,000 yearly. Now i have two questions..
1) is 55,000 dollars yearly income enough to be accepted by the immigration people for the joint affidavt? my friend supports 3 kids and his wife. Including me, thats 6 people. Is that enough?
2) i heard that the joint affidavit of support needs to be notarized. mine wasnt notarized, it was filled out by my friend himself. will it be sent back to be notarized??
alsoo.. lol.. how long will they give us a reply if i get the visa or not when i send the affidavit of support?
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Visa question!!

Originally Posted by kaki83
I have a question about the joint affidavit of support paper for the immigration visa to the States.
On my appointment day, I was told to resend my joint affidavit of support paper because it wasn't the original. I dont even understand why they asked me to resend it.
I obtained a new one recently and I want to make sure its acceptable. It was filled out by my friend in the states, who makes about $55,000 yearly. Now i have two questions..
1) is 55,000 dollars yearly income enough to be accepted by the immigration people for the joint affidavt? my friend supports 3 kids and his wife. Including me, thats 6 people. Is that enough?
2) i heard that the joint affidavit of support needs to be notarized. mine wasnt notarized, it was filled out by my friend himself. will it be sent back to be notarized??
alsoo.. lol.. how long will they give us a reply if i get the visa or not when i send the affidavit of support?
Hi kaki,

Can you clear up a few things first?

1. What visa are you getting? K-1 fiance or IR-1 Immigrant Visa?

2. Who is your sponsor, and why doesn't he/she qualify financially?

It sounds like your joint sponsor did not send an original I-864, but maybe a photocopy or scan. The Officer wants to see an original I-864. The I-864 does not need to be notarized.

Yes, $55,000 a year is enough income, according to the I-864P: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf Make sure the joint sponsor also sends proof of his US citizenship or PR status, proof of his income (letter from employer and recent paystubs), and also a copy of at least his most recent tax return, 3 years tax returns is preferable.

Make sure you submitted an I-864 from your sponsor as well, along with all his backup evidence, even though a joint sponsor is being used.

If you are doing a K-1 visa, substitute I-864 for I-134.

Rene
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Immigration Visa question!!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi kaki,

Can you clear up a few things first?

1. What visa are you getting? K-1 fiance or IR-1 Immigrant Visa?

2. Who is your sponsor, and why doesn't he/she qualify financially?

It sounds like your joint sponsor did not send an original I-864, but maybe a photocopy or scan. The Officer wants to see an original I-864. The I-864 does not need to be notarized.

Yes, $55,000 a year is enough income, according to the I-864P: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf Make sure the joint sponsor also sends proof of his US citizenship or PR status, proof of his income (letter from employer and recent paystubs), and also a copy of at least his most recent tax return, 3 years tax returns is preferable.

Make sure you submitted an I-864 from your sponsor as well, along with all his backup evidence, even though a joint sponsor is being used.

If you are doing a K-1 visa, substitute I-864 for I-134.

Rene
Thankyou for the reply!
Well, my wife filed an I-130 application form, so im guessing its an ir-1. she also sent in a i-864 form herself, but she doesnt work. so we got a joint sponser.
my new sponser seems to be able to qualify. i checked the poverty guideline link you sent! thanx! though, some have told me even if the sponser makes more than the guidlelines, sometimes thier forms are rejected. if so, what would the reason be? my joint sponser only sent tax returns for 2009. thats what the embassy here told us to send. only most recent.
now i sent the new joint affidavit about 4 days ago. im curious to how long they will need to give me a reply.
thanx for ur time
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for the reply!
Well, my wife filed an I-130 application form, so im guessing its an ir-1. she also sent in a i-864 form herself, but she doesnt work. so we got a joint sponser.
my new sponser seems to be able to qualify. i checked the poverty guideline link you sent! thanx! though, some have told me even if the sponser makes more than the guidlelines, sometimes thier forms are rejected. if so, what would the reason be? my joint sponser only sent tax returns for 2009. thats what the embassy here told us to send. only most recent.
now i sent the new joint affidavit about 4 days ago. im curious to how long they will need to give me a reply.
thanx for ur time
OK, so you've complied with the ConOff's request. All you can do is wait to see if it's accepted. Evidently the reason they gave you was that the I-864 was not an original. So if you sent an original this time, it should get approved as far as I can tell.

Rene
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

OK, so you've complied with the ConOff's request. All you can do is wait to see if it's accepted. Evidently the reason they gave you was that the I-864 was not an original. So if you sent an original this time, it should get approved as far as I can tell.

Rene
Thanks alot Noora =)
Youve cleared up alot for me. I appreciate it. Hopefully I will get a reply soon.
Im still unsure as to why they never accepted the first joint affidavit of support. I can clearly remember the form was the original. Oh well! Hopefully better luck this time! Pray for us! =)
Old Sep 19th 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

I have a quick question:
Do I qualify for a non immigrant K-3 visa? If so what should I do?
Old Sep 19th 2010, 4:23 pm

I have a quick question:
Do I qualify for a non immigrant K-3 visa? If so what should I do?
It's too late for that now. You've already had your Immigrant Visa interview.

If you have an approved I-130 in the system (which you do), NVC will not process the paperwork for a K-3 visa.

Besides that, even if they would, you're now at the very end of your whole process...would you really want to start over, waiting again for the I-129F (for K-3 visa) to be approved, then go through all that medical, police report, visa interview stuff yet again?

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

It's too late for that now. You've already had your Immigrant Visa interview.

If you have an approved I-130 in the system (which you do), NVC will not process the paperwork for a K-3 visa.

Besides that, even if they would, you're now at the very end of your whole process...would you really want to start over, waiting again for the I-129F (for K-3 visa) to be approved, then go through all that medical, police report, visa interview stuff yet again?

Rene
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought maybe I could submit one. No its not worth all that again.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought maybe I could submit one. No its not worth all that again.
Your questions are good ones. And Rene is giving good answers.

But I would like to make a general comment:

However, on procedural questions, you are no doubt aware that the status of Jerusalem is, to put it mildly, disputed. This makes for muddled positions on the authority and actions of CG Jerusalem which makes for often fluid, muddled and confusing procedures. CG Jerusalem is unique among US Diplomatic Posts in that regards.

As an aside, for the numerically restricted visas, the general rule is to "charge" an immigrant to his country of birth. When it comes to Jerusalem, the Visa Office needs the ADDRESS of the place of birth to determine the proper country of chargeability.

By the way, the confusion even extends into U.S. Law, to wit, the Jerusalem Embassy Act. This law was passed by a Republican Congress, and Bill Clinton let is slide into law inaction. Later, the Republican Congress inserted an escape clause, which Clinton, Bush #43, and Obama have exercised. [Nobody wants the Constitutional issues to go before the Supreme Court - said issues having nothing to do with the Middle East].

Best of luck.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Oct 22nd 2010 at 8:59 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Your questions are good ones. And Rene is giving good answers.

But I would like to make a general comment:

However, on procedural questions, you are no doubt aware that the status of Jerusalem is, to put it mildly, disputed. This makes for muddled positions on the authority and actions of CG Jerusalem which makes for often fluid, muddled and confusing procedures. CG Jerusalem is unique among US Diplomatic Posts in that regards.

As an aside, for the numerically restricted visas, the general rule is to "charge" an immigrant to his country of birth. When it comes to Jerusalem, the Visa Office needs the ADDRESS of the place of birth to determine the proper country of chargeability.

By the way, the confusion even extends into U.S. Law, to wit, the Jerusalem Embassy Act. This law was passed by a Republican Congress, and Bill Clinton let is slide into law inaction. Later, the Republican Congress inserted an escape clause, which Clinton, Bush #43, and Obama have exercised. [Nobody wants the Constitutional issues to go before the Supreme Court - said issues having nothing to do with the Middle East].

Best of luck.
Thankyou for this input. I am aware that Jerusalem is a divided city. Both Israeli and Palestinian citizens go to this embassy to apply for visas ( non immigrant and immigrant, passport renewals, birth abroad certificates, and such. I also know since I am a Palestinian citizen residing in the West Bank, my "country" of charge will be Jordan. When you step into the embassy, this feeling of seperation is noticable. Later on when I found myself among other Palestinian as well as Israeli citizens waiting for my name to be called, I was actually able to forget that feeling. Hopefully one day a resolution to this "seperation" will be found.