Immigration to US as an investor?

Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:33 am
Just Joined

adicosuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration to US as an investor?

Thanks Pulaski, just wanted to be clear on it, because I actually did a Google search and looked on various other websites and couldnt find anything about our idea of "investment". In this case its tough to risk USD 500k on something you might never get back...looking like maybe E2 is more appealing, but on the other hand it link you to the business - if it holds you lose your visa?

nothing seem to suggest a way to "take it easy" and live in Florida on a permanent basis...

Thanks
Adrian
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

You can not just start a business and call it an EB5 project.
A plan to create 10 full times jobs per $500K has to be submitted and approved by the USCIS.
The $500K is in a low employment area it is one million otherwise.
Google EB5 Regional Centers
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adicosuk
In this case its tough to risk USD 500k on something you might never get back...
The EB-5 is generally considered less of an investment, and more like a trade. You give the US your $500K and they give you a green card. If you happen to get any of your investment funds back, that's icing on the cake... but don't expect it.

... nothing seem to suggest a way to "take it easy" and live in Florida on a permanent basis...
I suppose it all boils down to how much you're willing to risk to "take it easy". If you can afford the investment, perhaps green cards for the family is an equitable trade.

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 12:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pulaski, ..... nothing seem to suggest a way to "take it easy" and live in Florida on a permanent basis. ....
It's true, that's the reality of it. Despite what you and many others think, we are not just raining on your parade.

BTW I have added to my post above, on the previous page.

And to Otto's point above, there are ways to "go it alone" with an EB-5 investment. If you have $1 million you can invest anywhere in the US, but your business plan will be closely scrutinized.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

everybody, thanks again, I learned quite a few things about US and Florida so far, so for me it was definitively worth writing here - the bit about difference in visas E2 not allowing children to get green cards when they reach 21 makes it basically a no-no. So if it will be, then EB5 will be.

And talking about EB5, I have one more question - the USD500k needed - do I need to prove I have them or do I really need to invest them BEFORE applying for visa? and if I need to invest them, do I need to follow what the US government tells me to invest into? For instance, I would have no problem to invest USD 500k to buy couple of houses near Orlando and rent them out as holiday lets - it would actually boost the income received from UK from rent - would this be considered "investment"?

Anyway, we plan to have 3-weeks holiday in summer in Orlando/Tampa and we will drive around, see everything to be seen, and then we will take it from there. By then though I need to know as many details as possible, so to be ready to make a decision basically

All the best
Adrian
Think about it - if you could get green cards by buying property for $500K then large swathes of the world would do it.

I still don't see the benefit if all you're looking for is to take it easy.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

adicosuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again everybody.

Pulaski, yes I have noticed you adding to the post, read everything so far. As I said already, not an easy way

What I wanted was to be able to find a warm (weather-wise and safe, English-speaking country, with affordable properties, good schools, decent healthcare (but we would have paid for private anyway) where we could live indefinitively and peacefully without worrying about the need to work or own a business, etc. Florida looked the strongest candidate. But I cannot just "give" USD500k or USD1 million just to "get there", because this is the money I need to generate the income that would allow us to live...

Now the E2 visa seems a more acceptable approach, BUT still need work...have to think about it.

Sincerely
Adrian
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

decent healthcare (but we would have paid for private anyway) where we could live indefinitively and peacefully
No choice but to have private healthcare.

And peacefully?
Just be aware of gun deaths, laws, level of ownership as that may affect your comfort level.

I'm not hysterical over this, just cautious, as I am also, here in the Los Angeles area.
For example back in Scotland I'd maybe call out someone for being a prat but here I definitely avoid any direct conflict if possible. You may just get shot to death on the spot for the slightest provocation.

Not trying to say, don't go...just consider your comfort level.

(It's something that Mrs H and I think carefully about...what are the intelligent choices to make in order to enjoy the probability of a long life...no parachuting, bungee jumping, avoid areas of gang activity, avoid direct conflict with strangers, respect to police officers etc. We do not live in fear But we are very sensible.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 2nd 2015 at 3:30 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's true, that's the reality of it. Despite what you and many others think, we are not just raining on your parade.

BTW I have added to my post above, on the previous page.

And to Otto's point above, there are ways to "go it alone" with an EB-5 investment. If you have $1 million you can invest anywhere in the US, but your business plan will be closely scrutinized.
The only way to "go it alone" I am aware of with EB5 is a direct investment or one which quite rare the "distressed business" route.

With EB5 direct you must be resident in the state of the investment and manage the business. The big disadvantage is that you can not count indirect jobs only those directly connected to the business.
However you do not need a Regional Center.

The problem with the distressed business route is the USCIS can take so long to review the case it has either gone under or survived and is no longer distressed.

My point was that whatever the type of EB5 all plans are reviewed and approved or denied by the USCIS and there are going to be some RFEs (request further evidence)

Last edited by ottotheboar; Feb 2nd 2015 at 3:34 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Now the E2 visa seems a more acceptable approach, BUT still need work...have to think about it.
That really sounds like the road to hell. Go that route and your whole life ends up tied to the business. It would be a treadmill you can't get off. And as JohnnyBrown correctly (!!!) pointed out you need to think what visa's your kids can get when they age-out of your visa (at 21).

I can also find easily highly paid jobs in US and probably come on a work-visa.
Maybe that is an approach you should look into more. View it as a 5 year plan to work in the US until you get the (EB-1A?) greencard then take things easy after that?
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Not trying to say, don't go...just consider your comfort level.

(It's something that Mrs H and I think carefully about...what are the intelligent choices to make in order to enjoy the probability of a long life...no parachuting, bungee jumping, avoid areas of gang activity, avoid direct conflict with strangers, respect to police officers etc. We do not live in fear But we are very sensible.)

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 4:03 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

<sigh> People have all kind of reasons to emigrate/immigrate. It need not be rational or even advisable -- it is a personal decision.

I previously advised consulting with competent immigration counsel. OP is talking about a lot of $$ and a big life change.

BTW, one of the more amusing cases I worked on when I was in practice was a Korean gentleman who had purchased an existing car wash and therefore came in on an E-2. It then started losing so much money, it became a "distressed" business. The regulations simply required the investment at some time before the petition while the definition of "distressed" was at the time of filing the petition and looking back. It was referred to local District Office for processing and I had to talk with the adjudicator [a good experienced one]. His comment "this is crazy." I responded "I agree but neither you or I wrote the regulations." Case approved.

My good friend [no longer practicing] Howard Hom assisted on an EB-5 for an IT guy investing $2 mill to start a new business. When it came time to remove the condition, the business was flourishing, the investor was still managing it and it had a payroll of 250 people. One slight problem -- the company had done so well that one of the big established IT firms had bought the company for $50 mill. Howard was quite concerned as to whether or not the investment still qualified -- it was on the bleeding edge of the regulatory requirements but was sure within the "spirit of the law." Conditions were removed.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 4:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
<sigh> People have all kind of reasons to emigrate/immigrate. It need not be rational or even advisable -- it is a personal decision. ....
Agreed, but in a similar way to you feeling the obligation to point out what is possible, many of us feel obligated to point out the realities and downsides of what is possible. What is "possible" and what is "sensible" are different things, sometimes with little or no overlap.

Every time someone posts on BE saying they want to immigrate to the US because they are stressed and overworked in the UK, I (and presumably others) will post to advise them of the realities of life in the US, and I will not apologise for doing so.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
That really sounds like the road to hell. Go that route and your whole life ends up tied to the business. It would be a treadmill you can't get off. And as JohnnyBrown correctly (!!!) pointed out you need to think what visa's your kids can get when they age-out of your visa (at 21).

Maybe that is an approach you should look into more. View it as a 5 year plan to work in the US until you get the (EB-1A?) greencard then take things easy after that?
What visas could the kids realistically get? F1 visas to continue their education once the e2 runs out? They will likely be in college by then with x years in USA under their belt by no means guarantee they would get them?.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

<sigh> People have all kind of reasons to emigrate/immigrate. It need not be rational or even advisable -- it is a personal decision.

I previously advised consulting with competent immigration counsel. OP is talking about a lot of $$ and a big life change.

BTW, one of the more amusing cases I worked on when I was in practice was a Korean gentleman who had purchased an existing car wash and therefore came in on an E-2. It then started losing so much money, it became a "distressed" business. The regulations simply required the investment at some time before the petition while the definition of "distressed" was at the time of filing the petition and looking back. It was referred to local District Office for processing and I had to talk with the adjudicator [a good experienced one]. His comment "this is crazy." I responded "I agree but neither you or I wrote the regulations." Case approved.

My good friend [no longer practicing] Howard Hom assisted on an EB-5 for an IT guy investing $2 mill to start a new business. When it came time to remove the condition, the business was flourishing, the investor was still managing it and it had a payroll of 250 people. One slight problem -- the company had done so well that one of the big established IT firms had bought the company for $50 mill. Howard was quite concerned as to whether or not the investment still qualified -- it was on the bleeding edge of the regulatory requirements but was sure within the "spirit of the law." Conditions were removed.
Why was the business sold before the conditions were lifted?
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sticky that up the top and we can all leave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.