Immigration reform

Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration reform

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Under Title 8 Section 1325 of the U.S. Code, "Improper Entry by Alien," any citizen of any country other than the United States who:

Enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers; or

Eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers; or

Attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact;
has committed a federal crime.
Mmm, and people who quote this section generally have never bothered to read it, read a bit further, i.e. 8 USC 1325(b). Civil penalty not exceeding $250 in many cases. So yes illegal but not criminal.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinkTen
The 'Gang of Eight' reform plan would mean undocumented immigrants would have a 13 year path to citizenship.
"The arrangement would shrink the amount of time it takes to become a naturalized citizen, to three years from five years. But in an appeal to Republicans, it would also extend to 10 years, from 8, the amount of time that illegal immigrants must wait before receiving permission to work in the United States permanently."
Republicans and Democrats say they believe that a 10-year wait for a green card would provide enough time to clear out the existing backlog of millions of immigration cases, so that illegal immigrants would not skip ahead of legal entrants. Currently, it can take up to 20 years to obtain a green card to work in the United States.
So that implies more visas available to people in third and fourth preference family-based immigration and also EB-3 unskilled worker.

Because it won't happen in ten years without more people being allowed in.

Unless of course they just scrap it and refund the application fees, but to do that to allow regularization of illegal aliens seems unlikely.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Still no sign of a bill after members of Congress could not resolve outstanding differences (supposedly to do with wages) last week. Obama put pressure on Congress today to introduce a bill in April, once they return from Easter break.

April shall be an interesting month for immigration reform.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

I do not think Switzerland has Sanctuary cantons?

Look what happened when Arizona tried to do something?
Arizona will be hit hard by the politics it chose. For some time now it is becoming "God's waiting room," full of old "white" people from the Midwest and California.

Now Intel is looking for engineers and guess what ...

It is hard to attract "dark" looking people in a place where a religious fanatic of a state senator decided to push for "Attrition through enforcement." The problem with that logic is that the attrition also happens to the legal immigrants and to U.S. born Americans.

It is not an economic issue for Arizona, it is a racial issue.

KK
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KCK_DR
It is hard to attract "dark" looking people in a place where a religious fanatic of a state senator decided to push for "Attrition through enforcement."
Never been to Arizona but I am going to guess you can easily get a tan.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Never been to Arizona but I am going to guess you can easily get a tan.
You don't know the half of it!!!!

The best was flying in and out. The only time I was not everyone's "unwanted-looking person" du jour was when I flew to San Jose ... everyone on the plane looked like me

I lived in AZ for about 25 years, what a great people and place to live ... last four years things changed, I had to move, I left the place in terror about four months ago.

KK

Last edited by KCK_DR; Mar 25th 2013 at 11:49 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 6:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

It is hard to attract "dark" looking people in a place where a religious fanatic of a state senator decided to push for "Attrition through enforcement." The problem with that logic is that the attrition also happens to the legal immigrants and to U.S. born Americans.
I think the lower taxes in Arizona though will win out over California in the long term. Also Joe Arpaio is the real problem but he can't live forever (he's 80).

What's happening in American it seems to me is just ongoing polarization. Someone goes to the left so someone has to go to the right, the rivalry between California and Arizona is an example. Look at this thing with guns, New York passes an OTT law so various States are actually considering laws that would make it illegal to enforce Federal gun laws. Allow sanctuary cities and whatnot in California. SB 1070 in Arizona.

It's all bonkers.

What would happen in any other country is the formation of another political party as surprisingly there are more than two answers to every public policy question, but there is one thing the Republicans and Democrats agree on - that they should be the only two political parties. Look at how all the election and campaign finance laws are written, shocking lack of any independent organizations overseeing elections.

It's insane in a country of 315 million people there are only two mainstream political parties.

You may have noticed that Montana elects a fair number of Democrats despite being about as right-wing as right-wing gets - the reason why is because the Libertarians split the right-wing vote. So it is possible, but it needs to be more mainstream.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

I think the lower taxes in Arizona though will win out over California in the long term.
I must disagree with you. Lower taxes are not enough to make the difference, they are not as critical as many people think. The reason is that taxes translate to services. In Arizona I paid lower property taxes on my home than in California, but I had to pay:

• a private company for firefighting protection,
• a private company for water (much higher than a municipal company’s basic fees),
• very low investment in education,
• almost ludicrously small amount of unemployment insurance coverage (you get $240 a week whether you made $100,000 or $20,000)

• a year Colleges and universities are rank 3 and no rank 2 or 1 exist in the state, thus with few exceptions the state has not been producing high end graduates.
The graduate programs are pretty good, but how many companies can afford to have only MA and MS degreed people work for them? Also, most college graduates in other states may come to Arizona to work until they have children, then they will need to move so they can find schools that can educate their kids, that IS creating a transient work culture and is quickly making AZ into a training ground for companies in other states.
Also, ultimately, good students will choose other state schools, since in ASU, UA and NAU all rank 3 schools cost close or more than $10,000 per year for tuition alone for in state students, where as the better Cal State system costs under $8,000 per year and the mostly rank 1 US system costs close or under $10,000 per year.

And those elements are just a few problems that come to mind. Thus Arizona will have problems when the older white population, that came to die there, leaves for the Lord. This economic model is relatively new, it began in 1997 or so, before that time AZ invested in Education and it was a libertarian paradise (live and let live).

Also Joe Arpaio is the real problem but he can't live forever (he's 80).
Joe “il Duce” Arpaio is not – in my opinion the problem, he is the expression of the problem. The problem in my opinion is that a critical mass of voters espouse the ideas he puts forth. Joe has been very keen in picking up the mood, I don’t like him, but I must admit that he is a great populist that can pick up the mood. He became anti-immigrant in the early 2000s when he saw great numbers of racist whites from the Midwest come to AZ. A secondary problem is that the “darker” minority populations and especially the Latino/Mexican-American U.S. Citizens have very low registration numbers and do not turn out the vote in acceptable numbers.

As for the polarization thing, it is not so new in U.S. politics, the 1960s were much more “bonkers.” It goes up and down.

Thank God this country is big enough where one can find a peaceful accepting place to be.

KK

Last edited by KCK_DR; Mar 26th 2013 at 9:58 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Arizona will be hit hard by the politics it chose. For some time now it is becoming "God's waiting room," full of old "white" people from the Midwest and California.
I think in certain areas, the voting demographics are changing. There are a lot of good young people in town who are fighting the good fight. Politicians like Sinema who I think are the new wave.

Joe “il Duce” Arpaio is not – in my opinion the problem, he is the expression of the problem. The problem in my opinion is that a critical mass of voters espouse the ideas he puts forth. Joe has been very keen in picking up the mood, I don’t like him, but I must admit that he is a great populist that can pick up the mood. He became anti-immigrant in the early 2000s when he saw great numbers of racist whites from the Midwest come to AZ. A secondary problem is that the “darker” minority populations and especially the Latino/Mexican-American U.S. Citizens have very low registration numbers and do not turn out the vote in acceptable numbers.
He is certainly very politically canny. Always seems to have just just enough clean hands to avoid any of the scandals that have followed him.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:06 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

The reason is that taxes translate to services.
California has the highest State income taxes in the US (although you pay more in NYC because of the local income tax) plus it also has higher corporation taxes, that does make a difference. Phoenix is the largest municipality and it has its own water board and it has a fire dept. I see in the press that various companies are thinking of moving to Arizona because it is less disaster prone as well.

Fastest growing cities: http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbr...rowing-cities/

Nowhere in California in the top 10.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
California has the highest State income taxes in the US (although you pay more in NYC because of the local income tax) plus it also has higher corporation taxes, that does make a difference. Phoenix is the largest municipality and it has its own water board and it has a fire dept. I see in the press that various companies are thinking of moving to Arizona because it is less disaster prone as well.
According to this, CA ranks 17th in total tax take, AZ 19th. Not a lot of difference:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/total_taxes/

Originally Posted by Steve_
Fastest growing cities: http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbr...rowing-cities/

Nowhere in California in the top 10.
Thanks goodness for that!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

KK
Gods waiting room? Isnt that Florida not Arizona?

It is not an economic issue for Arizona, it is a racial issue.

KK
Arizona can observe firsthand how the illegal immigrant problem contributes towards the situation in the bankrupt state of California.
Seriously what does any state have to gain over simply being racist?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Californians seem to get a very bad name, certainly noticed it in Colorado.

If we could secure our State borders, I am pretty sure that those from CA would be first on the list.

NY second.

Third, probably Texas.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Gods waiting room? Isnt that Florida not Arizona?
LOL
Yes, Florida is God’s Waiting Room East.
Arizona has aspired and succeeded in becoming the Western Branch. To this day the political and business leadership has openly been working to hit and keep that target.
Arizona can observe firsthand how the illegal immigrant problem contributes towards the situation in the bankrupt state of California.
Seriously what does any state have to gain over simply being racist?
I would like to state that I am against illegal immigration or anything akin to that.
But I still – despite effort s in my part – don’t see how illegal immigrants can bankrupt a state.
Is it because they get paid less and small businesses make more money to put in the bank?
Is it because the small businessmen and women do not pay for the health care of their employees be it legal or illegal workers so they go to the hospitals and as emergency cases and we all pay to subsidize the profits of the mom and pop businesses?
Is it because they pay – using fake or stolen SSI numbers – into the system and they will never take money out of it?
Is it because they send their U.S. born or non-U.S. born children to school, having paid rent and through that the property taxes that go to the school district for their education?
Anyway, let me clear up that confusion by noting that Russell Pierce – former state senator and current VP of the GOP in AZ – is a religious extremist with open hostility toward Mexican Americans and other “undesirables.”
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Is it because they send their U.S. born or non-U.S. born children to school, having paid rent and through that the property taxes that go to the school district for their education?
Theres very little taxes on minimum or low wages and they choose large catholic families. Along with extensive use of welfare programs and services, overcrowding emergency rooms, uninsured/underinsured drivers etc etc it all adds up.

They definately contribute to state bankrupcy IMO. And CA is proof.

Russell Pierce, Arizona has plenty of whacko Mormans just like him unfortunately. I disagree about Arizona being an old peoples state. Its growth in recent years, with transplants arriving from all over, now make it the sixth most populous city in the United States of America. Everyone that moved here is not old, lol

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Mar 27th 2013 at 9:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.