Immigration reform

Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice
Default Re: Immigration reform

Originally Posted by Steve_
The bill proposed yesterday appears to simply be a consolidation of every half-baked idea that has been floating around Congress for the past ten years, here are the highlights:

- full labour certification for H-1B "to stop foreign workers undercutting Americans", blah blah;
- an "enhanced" E-verify system, which I assume means Schumer's utterly bonkers biometric social security card system;
- reallocation of per country immigrant visa numbers to make it fairer (by screwing over some nationalities to favour others);
- reform of family-based immigation, wasn't quite following that one but seeing as McCain helped write it, I assume it means scrapping third and fourth preference and assigning them to employment-based, but there was some guff about "reunifying" families, which I assume means deported people will be able to get waivers even though they're banned from entry;
- scrapping the diversity lottery;
- assigning more immigrant visas to people with STEM qualifications who have job offers, so I assume that means EB-3 Skilled Worker will have some subcategory;
- "guest worker program" which sounded word-for-word like the current H-2A system, no clue what that was about really, some sort of minor reform of H-2A at the end of the day. H-2A already allows agricultural workers to come in and there is no quota. Maybe they're talking about scrapping the visa and granting it at the POE, but I think it is just a limited expansion to some other types of work;
- some sort of way of people in the US illegally being able to stay, this seems to be the toughest bit of it, people who have been granted deferred action who pay all their taxes, pass an English language test etc. get LPR status and then they can get citizenship.

The last bit is the most contentious, I have a feeling it won't pass the House if it includes citizenship, could be some form of conditional LPR status, i.e. you're allowed to stay but the condition will be you can't get citizenship unless you get a waiver and go through the legal route everyone else goes through (which means they won't be able to get it in many cases which is why they entered illegally to begin with).

More info from Obama possibly in half an hour, but I suspect that speech will be style rather than substance.

If you're in the US illegally this might be a big deal for you but if you want to come to the US legally you could be arguably worse off, or only slightly better off.

Oh yeah and if you work in the "building fences, digging trenches" industry have I got good news for you...
The proposal yesterday was for green cards to be attached to advanced degrees in STEM. I believe it was another group of senators who proposed increasing the visa quota for STEM?

Obama is about to make an input in the immigration debate in the next hour.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
There was a thing on NPR yesterday about H2A. Basically yes it should be the perfect visa for all the farmers to employ as many seasonal workers as they need. Except no one uses it because it is a mess of paperwork, costs, overheads, fees, lawyers, red tape....
All it appears to be saying in that blurb is that H-2A will be extended to the dairy industry. I'm sure they'll fiddle with it a bit more than that but it seems to be the gist of what they're on about. As for the complexity of it, that complexity is required by DOL and OSHA rules on a safe and fair work environment, can't see those rules being changed.

What they ARE going to do though is crack down on illegal employment, e.g. with Schumer's biometric social security cards, thereby forcing people to use H-2A (supposedly).
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:44 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinkTen
The proposal yesterday was for green cards to be attached to advanced degrees in STEM. I believe it was another group of senators who proposed increasing the visa quota for STEM?

Obama is about to make an input in the immigration debate in the next hour.
Yeah but they've got to fit the STEM visas under some sort of EB category, it will either be a new one or some modification of EB-3 most likely, e.g. EB-3 STEM skilled worker.

I don't know if it will be the same as the bill that passed the house though, ditching the DV lottery and putting 50,000 visas on STEM seemed excessive to me. Are there 50,000 people on F-1 studying for a master's in a STEM field who would want to become LPRs? Are there enough employers willing to file I-140s for them? That bill said if they weren't all used they could then be used by people with STEM qualifications no longer in university.

Anyway so far that appears to be the only real benefit for skilled workers from developed countries like the UK. Other things like full labour certification for H-1B will make it harder, plus reallocating the per country limitations will also make it harder.

Depends what they do with family reunification and whether more visa numbers are moved to employment-based immigration.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Yeah but they've got to fit the STEM visas under some sort of EB category, it will either be a new one or some modification of EB-3 most likely, e.g. EB-3 STEM skilled worker.

I don't know if it will be the same as the bill that passed the house though, ditching the DV lottery and putting 50,000 visas on STEM seemed excessive to me. Are there 50,000 people on F-1 studying for a master's in a STEM field who would want to become LPRs? Are there enough employers willing to file I-140s for them? That bill said if they weren't all used they could then be used by people with STEM qualifications no longer in university.

Anyway so far that appears to be the only real benefit for skilled workers from developed countries like the UK. Other things like full labour certification for H-1B will make it harder, plus reallocating the per country limitations will also make it harder.

Depends what they do with family reunification and whether more visa numbers are moved to employment-based immigration.
Interesting, thanks. Someone mentioned earlier that 'it's all in the detail' which seems quite accurate, for example, Obama advertises STEM as 'stapling a green card to every STEM masters/PhD certificate' whereas in the fact sheet, it states students will have to be sponsored by an employer for a (large?) payment which will then go back into STEM education.

It seems the only difference would be instead of getting sponsored for a H1-B, students would be sponsored for a green card...
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:08 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

There are only approximately 150,000 people per year granted LPR status in employment-based categories, period, so to assume that there are employers out there willing to file 50,000 I-140s purely for STEM graduates is unlikely, imo. I have a feeling the total number of visas made available will be less than that and they'll use the remaining number for something else. Very momentarily speeding up immigration visas for a few Mexicans, maybe, although I think that is more likely to be a case of changing the per country limitations which will make an even more marginal difference.

I cannot see Congress increasing the overall number of immigrant visas in the current economic climate.

I never understand why people think Congress is crap and then all of a sudden, hey they're going to do something not crap. No Congress is crap and everything they do is largely crap, just accept it. This immigration reform bill sounds like a big deal but I seriously doubt it will be.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Still waiting on the bill...
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Still waiting on the bill...
Hasn't immigration reform been pushed to the back of the line now that the spotlight is on gun control?
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Still no bill for that either, Schumer is supposed to introduce a bill for the background checks, hasn't done it.

It's going to be endless arguments about "sequestration."
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I see that marriage equality has just been passed the UK parliament by a significant margin (400-175). No idea if that will help any same sex couple immigrants in the UK.

It does give me hope that there is a rising tide for such reforms though. In the US I'm not so sure.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I think the US will get there eventually, it just takes such a long time to build up consensus across enough states to get social justice laws enacted at Federal level.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

sinbad2222 is a jewel in the roughsinbad2222 is a jewel in the roughsinbad2222 is a jewel in the roughsinbad2222 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by LinkTen
With immigration reform being a hot topic at the moment, what's everyone's views on this? Letting illegal immigrants earn citizenship, giving high skilled immigrants and students a green card, changes to the guest worker program etc.
Illegals are criminals and should be treated accordingly.
Spineless politicians are only interested in potential voters just as is the case with the shirtlifters.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:20 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinbad2222
Spineless politicians are only interested in potential voters just as is the case with the shirtlifters.
Sound bites /= nuanced, thoughtful arguments.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinbad2222
"People regurgitating somebody else's poorly thought out sound bites are clearly idiots and should be treated as such..."
Old Mar 9th 2013, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

The 'gang of eight' currently crafting an immigration bill are expected to have an agreement and announce a bill when they return from their break in early April.

Obama has said he wants a bill from Congress within 60 days. Will be interesting to see whether this gets shot down, or has a chance.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The smart money seems to be on Obama playing games and wanting to use it as a stick for the next elections.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.