Immigration Lawyers??

Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:44 am
Just Joined

ERitchie_24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Lawyers??

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced Immigration lawyer in london.

My situation is a bit of a mess with an overstay, denied entry and a visa refusal.

Need to assess my situation properly as not getting good advice from the start has been my downfall.

I know the first consultation will be expensive, I have had quotes of £300-£500 but any more info would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

E
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Lawyers??

Originally Posted by ERitchie_24
My situation is a bit of a mess with an overstay, denied entry and a visa refusal.
Did you marry your USC girlfriend? What have you been doing for the last 6 months since your previous posts?

Need to assess my situation properly as not getting good advice from the start has been my downfall.
You got great advice last time you were here!

As for an attorney, you might be better off with a US-based immigration attorney. Start here: www.aila.org. Since immigration is Federal, the lawyer can live anywhere... yes, I suppose even in London. There's a "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of their page.

Ian
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

www.us-visa.co.uk

Brighton
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

ERitchie_24 is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers Ian and David,

Ian, I havent married the USC girlfriend yet, her UK visa expires in a month though. I have been working in London for the last 7 months since my embassy visit.

The advice on here was good last time, I just wish I had consulted this site a few years ago!
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you do have a bit of immigration history....but marriage to a USC, and applying for the correct visa for your purpose (Immigrant Visa) will override your past problems (I just read your previous thread).

Can't hurt to have a consultation with an immigration attorney. A US-based one will be cheaper and consultation can be done on the phone, Skype, email, chat, whatever.

I know the first consultation will be expensive, I have had quotes of £300-£500 but any more info would be great.
A consultation with a US immigration lawyer will probably run you around $200.

However, you should know ahead of time what you intend to do (i.e., marry your USC fiance in the UK, assuming she can marry on whatever visa she has there, and then do an Immigrant Visa). That way, if the lawyer starts telling you to apply for a B-2 to come as a visitor and then adjust status, you'll know not to take that advice.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, I havent married the USC girlfriend yet, her UK visa expires in a month though.
Marry her ASAP and get her to file the I-130 directly to London, if she has the correct type of status there which allows her to marry. And, if she's been resident in the UK for 6+ months.

After filing the I-130 in London, she can return to the USA next month, and you will wait in the UK for your Immigrant Visa to come through (about 8 - 10 months).

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
After filing the I-130 in London, she can return to the USA next month, and you will wait in the UK for your Immigrant Visa to come through (about 8 - 10 months)
Assuming the overstay was for less than six months, yes. If more than six months, there may be bans to deal with.

I recommend OP visits http://immigrate2us.net as that site is targeted for people who are experiencing immigration issues.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by discoviking
Assuming the overstay was for less than six months, yes. If more than six months, there may be bans to deal with.
Yep. He said in his previous thread that it was less than 6 months.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, then he should be fine. I didn't check his other threads.