Immigration Fraud

Old Apr 26th 2002, 6:40 am
Timothy Kairies

Default Immigration Fraud

Does anyone have any experience with the INS and the requirements for beginning
deportation proceedings on the basis of immigration fraud? I ask this because I'm
in the process of divorcing my wife which I brought over on a K-1 visa. This
became necessary when after I filed the AOS and work permit she changed. I've
already had the 485, 864, and 129f withdrawn at the INS offices. I guess my
question really is how long will it take for the INS to begin deportation
proceedings if at all? Thank you TK

Old Apr 26th 2002, 6:40 am
Andrew Defaria

Default Re: Immigration Fraud

Timothy Kairies wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with the INS and the requirements for beginning
    > deportation proceedings on the basis of immigration fraud? I ask this because I'm
    > in the process of divorcing my wife which I brought over on a K-1 visa. This became
    > necessary when after I filed the AOS and work permit she changed. I've already had
    > the 485, 864, and 129f withdrawn at the INS offices. I guess my question really is
    > how long will it take for the INS to begin deportation proceedings if at all?

Beginning deportation proceedings is one thing - ending them is quite another. That
could take years if ever done really.

Old Apr 26th 2002, 1:40 pm
Andy Platt

How can *you* have had the I-485 withdrawn? It's *her* application. However, it
sounds like you've informed the INS which is, basically, the end of your involvement.
Good luck for the future.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Timothy Kairies"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any experience with the INS and the requirements for beginning
    > deportation proceedings on the basis of immigration fraud? I ask this because I'm
    > in the process of divorcing my wife which I brought over on a K-1 visa. This
    > became necessary when after I filed the AOS and work permit she changed. I've
    > already had the 485, 864, and 129f withdrawn at the INS offices. I guess my
    > question really is how long will it take for the INS to begin deportation
    > proceedings if at all? Thank you TK

Old Apr 26th 2002, 9:40 pm
Timothy Kairies

I just went down to the INS office in Phoenix and explained the situation and they
provided me with 3 documents to sign. One to withdraw the 485. One to withdraw the
I-129f. And one to document the specifics of the case. The officer informed me that I
had done everything I could do and that when my wife came in to renew her work permit
she would be denied that permit. But when I asked when she might be asked to leave
the country he wasn't able to answer me. This concerns me because I wouldn't want
someone else to get burned by this woman. For this reason and other personal reasons
I would like to know if I can do more legally to remove this woman from this country.
I realize that the INS is unlikely to get involved unless a criminal act is commited
or she is caught working illegally. Is Chicago the only office that investigates
immigration fraud cases? I might sound vindictive to many of the posters to this
newsgroup but I feel closure will help in my case and her removal from this country
will be a good step in that direction. Thank you for any information. TK

Old Apr 28th 2002, 9:10 am
Skaternl

Just a brain storm. What if you go to the local police office and tell them there is
a illegal alien in the country ? That would involve her with law enforcement and
raise some questions at the police office/INS.

Or is this a stupid idea ?? I mean, I don't know. I'm a happy married legal alien.

I am very sorry to hear that it didn't turn out okay between you two. Good luck in
your future.

Daniel (Pending AOS)

[email protected] (Timothy Kairies) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > I just went down to the INS office in Phoenix and explained the situation and they
    > provided me with 3 documents to sign. One to withdraw the 485. One to withdraw the
    > I-129f. And one to document the specifics of the case. The officer informed me that
    > I had done everything I could do and that when my wife came in to renew her work
    > permit she would be denied that permit. But when I asked when she might be asked to
    > leave the country he wasn't able to answer me. This concerns me because I wouldn't
    > want someone else to get burned by this woman. For this reason and other personal
    > reasons I would like to know if I can do more legally to remove this woman from
    > this country. I realize that the INS is unlikely to get involved unless a criminal
    > act is commited or she is caught working illegally. Is Chicago the only office that
    > investigates immigration fraud cases? I might sound vindictive to many of the
    > posters to this newsgroup but I feel closure will help in my case and her removal
    > from this country will be a good step in that direction. Thank you for any
    > information. TK

Old Apr 28th 2002, 11:40 pm
Timothy Kairies

That's an interesting suggestion and one that I might try once the divorce is final.
But I'm afraid that the police will just refer me to the INS since it isn't their
jurisdiction unless a crime is involved. In addition, I'm in Phoenix and you can't go
outside without running into an illegal alien so I would probably be laughed out of
the police office. I just want her deported at the earliest possible time. I do
appreciate the suggestion though. Thank you. TK

Old Apr 29th 2002, 12:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that as a K-1 recipient she CANNOT adjust status in any other way while within the US. If she finds another man to marry, she can't adjust status through him.

You were duped and my sympathies. Get on with the divorce and your life. Closure sometimes is not possible right away. But, somewhere, at sometime, she will reap what she has sown.
Old Apr 29th 2002, 9:10 am
Mrtravel

SKaTeRNL wrote:
    >
    > Just a brain storm. What if you go to the local police office and tell them there
    > is a illegal alien in the country ? That would involve her with law enforcement and
    > raise some questions at the police office/INS.

LOL... Many cities do NOT want their officers involved in rounding up illegal aliens.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 11:10 am
Alvena Ferreira

Timothy Kairies wrote:
    > That's an interesting suggestion and one that I might try once the divorce is
    > final. But I'm afraid that the police will just refer me to the INS since it isn't
    > their jurisdiction unless a crime is involved. In addition, I'm in Phoenix and you
    > can't go outside without running into an illegal alien so I would probably be
    > laughed out of the police office. I just want her deported at the earliest possible
    > time. I do appreciate the suggestion though. Thank you.

Timothy, You are best to put this behind you and not to fret over whether she gets
deported. From what I have seen posted in this group, INS does not get in a hurry to
do so. They have much bigger fish to fry than single isolated aliens, usually. You
are best advised to just get on with your life, and let someone else worry about
whether or not she is deported, frankly. Look forward, not backward--it is always
best to look in the direction that you are wanting to go. Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion, in
a private communication, and should not be considered legal advice. Locate an
immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Apr 29th 2002, 12:40 pm
Andy Platt

I still think the INS was wrong here. The I-485 was her application. Now, I guess you
could get the I-864 withdrawn and perhaps get the NOA from the I-129F taken out and
they could immediately dismiss the I-485 but they can't withdraw somebody elses
application.

Like Alvena said, the best thing you can do now is forget it and get on with
your life.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Timothy Kairies"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I just went down to the INS office in Phoenix and explained the situation and they
    > provided me with 3 documents to sign. One to withdraw the 485. One to withdraw the
    > I-129f. And one to document the specifics of the case. The officer informed me that
    > I had done everything I could do and that when my wife came in to renew her work
    > permit she would be denied that permit. But when I asked when she might be asked to
    > leave the country he wasn't able to answer me. This concerns me because I wouldn't
    > want someone else to get burned by this woman. For this reason and other personal
    > reasons I would like to know if I can do more legally to remove this woman from
    > this country. I realize that the INS is unlikely to get involved unless a criminal
    > act is commited or she is caught working illegally. Is Chicago the only office that
    > investigates immigration fraud cases? I might sound vindictive to many of the
    > posters to this newsgroup but I feel closure will help in my case and her removal
    > from this country will be a good step in that direction. Thank you for any
    > information. TK

Old Apr 30th 2002, 6:40 am
Skaternl

Mmm. After thinking about that. I think the police has nothing to do with the INS.
Because isn't the INS a federal agency ? I think you should contact the FBI
then. Though, maybe you can tip the INS in some sort of way too.

But then again, as Alvena said, the INS is going for the big fish. They probably
don't really care about the little fishies swimming around in the big black oil-dirty
pool. Oh well. As I saw on a INS-related talk show a few weeks ago, there are still
250,000 illegal student-visa aliens in this country. Now where did THAT go wrong

Daniel

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > SKaTeRNL wrote:
    > >
    > > Just a brain storm. What if you go to the local police office and tell them there
    > > is a illegal alien in the country ? That would involve her with law enforcement
    > > and raise some questions at the police office/INS.
    >
    > LOL... Many cities do NOT want their officers involved in rounding up
    > illegal aliens.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 11:40 am
Jeffrey Scharpf

I agree with Alvena on this one. Try to move on with your life and put this past
you... Sorry things didn't work out

I've seen several postings on this newsgroup about people who have gotten married and
then divorced, and there is alot of anger and resentment (understandably)..but
again..if a person changes due to culture shock.. or whatever.. what really can you
do? I think it would be better for both of you to end it.. if you can't work things
out..so.. I guess for me if this happens I will look at it as any other divorce.. I
wouldn't wish any "ill-will" on my ex.. and if she was able to find a way to stay
here illegally, well that would be her problem, not mine, and I would try to move on.
If INS absolved me of my affidavit of support obligations because she broke the law,
then I guess that would be the end of it.

I know it's easy for me to say now.. lol. but this is how I feel..

Again, I'm sorry this happened..

Jeff

Old May 6th 2002, 12:40 am
Timothy Kairies

Sorry for not responding for a while. I appreciate all the ideas and hopefully my
posting will remind some of the people interested in sponsoring a fiancee from an
another country that there are many other possible problems involved than just the
INS, NVC, or US Consulates. Unless you are absolutely sure you know that person you
shouldn't offer to bring them to this country. Doing so is only a recipe for
unhappiness. Previously, I blamed the U.S. Consulate for their foot dragging and all
the extra things I was required to do to get my fiancee her K-1 visa. But now I can
only bow to their insite. I congradulate all the happy couples who have made a new
life in the US. Again, to those who seek love at a distance. Please take care.
Really get to know who you are sponsoring. A roll in the hay doesn't constitute
love. And a word to the wise. If in doubt don't do it. And if you do get a pre-nup.
Thanks again. TK