Immigration attorney??!!

Old Jun 19th 2002, 1:20 pm
Immigrant2k

Default Immigration attorney??!!

Where one hires an immigration attorney, is it recommended to use one from its own
state of residence, or that is irrelevant? I know a reputable attorney in the Midwest
(Chicago) but I leave in the Northeast... I'ts about obtaining an H-1B... Any
thoughts will be helpful...Thanks

Old Jun 19th 2002, 4:20 pm
Joachim Feise

Default Re: Immigration attorney??!!

Immigrant2K wrote:
    > Where one hires an immigration attorney, is it recommended to use one from its own
    > state of residence, or that is irrelevant? I know a reputable attorney in the
    > Midwest (Chicago) but I leave in the Northeast... I'ts about obtaining an H-1B...
    > Any thoughts will be helpful...Thanks

Immigration law is federal, so it doesn't matter where in the US the lawyer is
located. I know people living on the west coast with lawyers on the east coast. All
the communication is via phone, email, and FedEx. Not a problem, unless you insist on
talking to your lawyer in person.

Old Jun 20th 2002, 1:20 am
Aftonokla

Default Re: Immigration attorney??!!

>Where one hires an immigration attorney, is it recommended to use one from its own
    >state of residence, or that is irrelevant? I know a reputable attorney in the
    >Midwest (Chicago) but I leave in the Northeast... I'ts about obtaining an H-1B...
    >Any thoughts will be helpful...Thanks

Immigration law is Federal law so it does not matter where the attorney is licensed
to practice. But you may want him at interviews so it is probably better to hire a
local if possible.

Old Jun 20th 2002, 2:20 am
Dan Learned

Default Re: Immigration attorney.

From my perspective in the order of importance:

[1] Integrity (it is easier for an attorney to fool a client than the INS)

[2] Competence (many, if not most people who hold themselves out as "immigration
attorneys" are not competent, in my opinion.)

[3] Experience in the particular type of case. There are many sub-specialties in
immigration practice.

[4] Location. (Though location is more important in terms of some kinds of cases such
as removal [deportation] cases, which require local hearings. This is the least
important item in terms of success, in my opinion.)

Joachim Feise <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Immigrant2K wrote:
    > > Where one hires an immigration attorney, is it recommended to use one from its
    > > own state of residence, or that is irrelevant? I know a reputable attorney in the
    > > Midwest (Chicago) but I leave in the Northeast... I'ts about obtaining an H-1B...
    > > Any thoughts will be helpful...Thanks
    >
    > Immigration law is federal, so it doesn't matter where in the US the lawyer is
    > located. I know people living on the west coast with lawyers on the east coast. All
    > the communication is via phone, email, and FedEx. Not a problem, unless you insist
    > on talking to your lawyer in person.