Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration

Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration

Old May 29th 2004, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Antonis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration

Hi all,

I recently had my interview in the London US Embassy. They have approved my immigration application (through marriage) and welcomed me to the USA. Two days later I got my IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION document. I have to have this document with me when I enter the US. It is valid to travel for 6 months.

So what happens next? Once I enter the USA can I start work immediately? Is my immigrant visa what they call the "green card?" or do I have to apply for a green card now? If yes how long does it take and can I do it from the UK?

Any help to clear this in my head will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Antonis
Old May 29th 2004, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration

Originally posted by Antonis
Hi all,

I recently had my interview in the London US Embassy. They have approved my immigration application (through marriage) and welcomed me to the USA. Two days later I got my IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION document. I have to have this document with me when I enter the US. It is valid to travel for 6 months.

So what happens next? Once I enter the USA can I start work immediately? Is my immigrant visa what they call the "green card?" or do I have to apply for a green card now? If yes how long does it take and can I do it from the UK?

Regards

Antonis
Are you a K1 or K3 receiver? Not sure if you are married or coming over as a fiancee???
Old May 29th 2004, 9:50 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Regards

Antonis

Hey there Antonis

First of all CONGRATS on the CR1 visa!!
Upon entry the immigration officer will stamp the I-551 (temporary evidence for permanent residence) on your passport.
The stamp will allow you to work until you get your green card in the mail (it can take 2-3 months.. keep in mind this timelines may vary).
So no You don't have to apply for a green card, and if you did you couldn't apply from the UK.

If you have been married less than 2 years when you get the lawful permament resident status (At the entry in the US in your case), you will receive permanent resident status on a conditional basis. Your green card will be "temporary" (As it will expire after a 2 year period)
You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on residence. IMPORTANT – you must apply to remove conditional status within 90 days BEFORE the 2-year anniversary of the date you were granted conditional legal permanent resident status. If you don't do this during this time you will be considered out of status and will be subject to removal from the US.
For information about remove conditions based on marriage:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/RemCond.HTM

Good Luck!!
Old May 29th 2004, 9:51 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whistlestop01
Are you a K1 or K3 receiver? Not sure if you are married or coming over as a fiancee???
None girlie, he took the I-130 route
Read my other post
Old May 29th 2004, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey there Antonis

First of all CONGRATS on the CR1 visa!!
Upon entry the immigration officer will stamp the I-551 (temporary evidence for permanent residence) on your passport.
The stamp will allow you to work until you get your green card in the mail (it can take 2-3 months.. keep in mind this timelines may vary).
So no You don't have to apply for a green card, and if you did you couldn't apply from the UK.

If you have been married less than 2 years when you get the lawful permament resident status (At the entry in the US in your case), you will receive permanent resident status on a conditional basis. Your green card will be "temporary" (As it will expire after a 2 year period)
You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on residence. IMPORTANT – you must apply to remove conditional status within 90 days BEFORE the 2-year anniversary of the date you were granted conditional legal permanent resident status. If you don't do this during this time you will be considered out of status and will be subject to removal from the US.
For information about remove conditions based on marriage:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/RemCond.HTM

Good Luck!!

Thank you very much and thanks for the quick and informal reply. Excellent news then 9 months of paperwork is over!!!

Together with my visa the embassy gave me a shielded (closed) envelop and they asked me to carry with me my medical results and Xray. Do I go under some kind of interview at the POE or do I just hand them in to the officer?

Sorry for asking all these questions, thanks again for everything.

Regards

Antonis
Old May 29th 2004, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Married, Aug 30th 2003!

Thanks for your reply.

Antonis

PS: Answered received by Hypertweeky above.
Old May 30th 2004, 2:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Regards

Antonis
Yia, Antonis,
If you read the top post on page one of the forum (british expats users) you will find a link to POE experiences at kamya.com. Many of us have written out our stories so you can read and know what's to come. You will have a brief interaction at your POE and there are some things you should be prepared for (look under DCF experiences).

best,
mo

PS: also, checking the usenet box on your posts will ensure that the maximum number of people can answer your questions.
Old May 30th 2004, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Married, Aug 30th 2003!

Thanks for your reply.

Antonis

PS: Answered received by Hypertweeky above.
Yup I noticed Hypertweeky's reply. I guess she knows you

Safe flight to America and take care.

Love Gisela xx
Old May 30th 2004, 7:44 pm

Thank you very much and thanks for the quick and informal reply. Excellent news then 9 months of paperwork is over!!!

Together with my visa the embassy gave me a shielded (closed) envelop and they asked me to carry with me my medical results and Xray. Do I go under some kind of interview at the POE or do I just hand them in to the officer?

Regards

Antonis
Hey there Antonis

Meauxna already told you were to go for valuable information but yeah you have to hand the envelope to the immigration officer
When are you coming to the US?
Good Luck!!
Old May 30th 2004, 7:45 pm

Yup I noticed Hypertweeky's reply. I guess she knows you

Safe flight to America and take care.

Love Gisela xx
Hey girlie

I don't know him, but for his post I could tell he is a DCF'er
Take care!!
Old May 30th 2004, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey there Antonis

Meauxna already told you were to go for valuable information but yeah you have to hand the envelope to the immigration officer
When are you coming to the US?
Good Luck!!

Thanks

Traveling August the 24th.

Regards

Antonis
Old May 30th 2004, 10:21 pm

Thanks

Traveling August the 24th.

Regards

Antonis

Great!, don't forget to post your POE experience
Take care!
Old May 30th 2004, 11:32 pm
Just Joined