Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigrant Visa and Affidavit of Support questions

Immigrant Visa and Affidavit of Support questions

Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrant Visa and Affidavit of Support questions

Let's go back to some things in your original and earlier posts.

You could send your husband back to the USA and then you immigrate when he gets a [good enough] job. When I returned to the USA from my wife's country I came back job-less. Took me about 6 months to find work, and then I filed my petition. These days it might take your husband longer - depends on where he settle and what kind of work he's suited for or will accept. But you have some schooling in the UK that you want to finish? Which would put you in a better position to get a job when you do immigrate?

That friendly ex-girlfriend, she would not co-sponsor "us", she would co-sponsor you. Husband and daughter do not need to be sponsored.

Regards, JEff
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Let's go back to some things in your original and earlier posts.

You could send your husband back to the USA and then you immigrate when he gets a [good enough] job. When I returned to the USA from my wife's country I came back job-less. Took me about 6 months to find work, and then I filed my petition. These days it might take your husband longer - depends on where he settle and what kind of work he's suited for or will accept. But you have some schooling in the UK that you want to finish? Which would put you in a better position to get a job when you do immigrate?

That friendly ex-girlfriend, she would not co-sponsor "us", she would co-sponsor you. Husband and daughter do not need to be sponsored.

Regards, JEff
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realise that. The issue lays with the fact that my sister in law (sorry I'm used to calling her that so will continue to do so) has a house hold which consists of her 'seperated husband' they are not actually together but I believe they are still married at this time, and her step daughter who is 18 in august, my niece who is 19 and has a newborn son, her other 2 children who I believe are about 15 and 13. I believe at least the 3 younger of the children are definatly considered dependant and the elder may or may not be considered dependant. So if her 'seperated husband' and her are included it'd be 4 kids and 2 adults plus me. Not even sure she makes that much. I need to have a chat with her as well as some other people to see what is and is not possible.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:02 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sabrielle
I am really at a loss how someone who is about 12 stone over weight and has health problems is going to earn that much money in order to suport his spouse, I should be supporting him! .
It is going to be much more difficult for you to support your husband in the states, as you have no work history, are talking about abandoning your education, and neither of you will have any health insurance. What kind of job would he intend to get in the US, if he hasn't worked in the UK?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with JEff, that if you guys have your heart set on moving to the USA, your husband can come to the USA, find work, and then work either 1 or 2 jobs until he earns enough to sponsor you financially. Might take a year to get to that point, but if you're going to school in the UK anyway, it's doable. You've already said in your first post that you understand there will be some separation involved. If your husband can find a full time minimum wage job, plus a part time job a couple/few nights a week, that should put him at the right income level. He will just want to make sure that his full time job includes family health insurance benefits. That way, you can take the ex-girlfriend out of the equation...sounds like she has way too much on her plate already without signing a contract with the US government to be financially responsible for 1 more person.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 31st 2012 at 9:07 am.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It is going to be much more difficult for you to support your husband in the states, as you have no work history, are talking about abandoning your education, and neither of you will have any health insurance. What kind of job would he intend to get in the US, if he hasn't worked in the UK?
Fast food chain, stockboy in a grocery store, corner mini-mart or gas station, telemarketer, pizza delivery...just some suggestions. Nothing glamorous, but you gotta start somewhere.

My guess is that a combination of 1 of those jobs full time, plus 1 of those jobs part time, will earn him enough.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:30 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Once upon a time, in my previous life, for nearly a year I worked 3 low-paying jobs. 1 full-time, 2-part time. Slept in the car for 1-2 hour between the jobs 6 days a week and all day Sunday at home in bed. It wasn't fun, I was in my late 40s at the time not a young guy, but you've got to do what you've got to do and it got us through a difficult time and allowed my then wife to stay in school so that she could eventually get a decent job.

Then opportunity knocked and I was offered a 1-year consulting job as an expat, which took my life in a whole new direction and led to me meeting my present wife. Now that difficult time is just a distant memory.

Adversity builds strength (and gives one the right to call others wimps and wussies).

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Fast food chain, stockboy in a grocery store, corner mini-mart or gas station, telemarketer, pizza delivery...just some suggestions. Nothing glamorous, but you gotta start somewhere.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:41 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Once upon a time, in my previous life, for nearly a year I worked 3 low-paying jobs. 1 full-time, 2-part time.

Regards, JEff
Lived through that movie, except my three jobs were for morning, afternoon, evening! But as you say, in the immortal words of the Duke, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!" The OP didn't sound too optimistic about her OH getting a job, so I had voiced my concern for that reason.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Lived through that movie, except my three jobs were for morning, afternoon, evening! But as you say, in the immortal words of the Duke, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!" The OP didn't sound too optimistic about her OH getting a job, so I had voiced my concern for that reason.
I hope he can, but from what I've been told it's near impossible for people who are going out every day. My sister in laws ex has beeen going out every day for 2 years and still has nothing. If that is because he is being picky or not I don't know?
There is a lot of stress going on in my life anyway at the moment, I really need my husband, what I did not need was for him to have to fly back half way around the world and leave me and my daughter for what might turn into years if he can't get a job. He's ill a lot, he's not got any work experiance which is mainly down to our circumstances, he was already an overstayer I didn't want him to start breaching any laws like working illigally so we just struggled on. Believe me living on student income for me and him is not easy, it's not cheap and you have to give up a lot. But I've managed it and I would keep doing it if it meant we could stay together, but that is not possible at the moment so he is going back and will try and get his stuff together. At least one good thing may happen out of it, he can try and get his GED and driving licence in the US while he is looking for a job which will put him in a better situation to find a job anyway.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

I still suggest checking out that site i gave you and perhaps getting a legal opinion from a UK immigration advisor/solicitor BEFORE your hsband leaves the country.....as i said before, i do believe that he will incur a 1 year ban if he leaves, it may be better to get your options in your mind before any ban occurs , you guys may be eligible to apply for DLR and he may not have to leave
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My sister in laws ex has beeen going out every day for 2 years and still has nothing. If that is because he is being picky or not I don't know?
I think it's a combination of: 1) he wouldn't lower himself to take a job at WalMart or McDonald's; and 2) why should he bother geting a job since he's being supported by the ex? At any rate, you can't change that situation!

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I think it's a combination of: 1) he wouldn't lower himself to take a job at WalMart or McDonald's; and 2) why should he bother geting a job since he's being supported by the ex? At any rate, you can't change that situation!

Ian
It could also depend where he lives. The OP's husband should go to a bigger city where more jobs like that can be found, rather than a small town where there might not be as many options.

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

My husband has said he doesn't care if he has to flip burgurs or do street work. He'll do it if he has too. But we are speaking with the solicitor about the options, she did say going back to the US and doing it like that is one way we can go around it she never said anything about a 1 year ban. I'm not sure they can do that since it would be denying him access to his wife and child and therefor affecting his human rights. I will speak to the solicitor tomorrow as well as my grandad as he is helping me with that. My husband has been reading all the stuff as he can make more sense of it than I can. He's been on the UK yankee website and told me a list of things we need to talk to the solicitor about.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure they can do that since it would be denying him access to his wife and child and therefor affecting his human rights.
You're right... they can't just deny his rights as long as he stays in the UK. If he returns to the US, well then... the UK is free to impose a 1-year ban on him if they want... since he is neither a UK citizen nor under UK jurisdiction.

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're right... they can't just deny his rights as long as he stays in the UK. If he returns to the US, well then... the UK is free to impose a 1-year ban on him if they want... since he is neither a UK citizen nor under UK jurisdiction.

Ian
We have a solicitor which we saw before I made this post, she has said they can't ban him from the UK because there is a child involved. It's against mine and my daughters human rights to be seperated from our husband/father. They can't impose a 1 year ban if they do there are ways around it. Thats why we got the solicitor. We are going to see her again before we leave to get all the paperwork ready before my husband leaves to the US. We've decided for him to come back here so I can try and finish my degree. We need to speak to the solicitor though. Aparently my grandad maybe able to cosponsor my husband in which case I can finish university. I don't need extra access to public funds. I've been supporting my husband and my daughter and I with no issues until now..
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

if you think that they cannot impose a ban on your husband then id suggest reading the below link before your husband leaves the country...once he leaves the country then all bets are off, they can however consider the human rights aspect of it whilst he is still in the country, even if he has overstayed......
may i also suggest a second opinion with a different solicitor, is this an immigration solicitor you are seeing or just a general law solicitor?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po.../ecg/rfl/rfl5/

edited to add: may i also suggest the immigration solicitor/advisor you use is OISC registered

Last edited by paulpur; Feb 2nd 2012 at 1:45 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.