Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Immigrant Visa and Affidavit of Support questions

Immigrant Visa and Affidavit of Support questions

Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrant Visa and Affidavit of Support questions

Originally Posted by Sabrielle
His dad is dead (he died in september) or we wouldn't have an issue... We won't go into the bother in law... he's in rehab. He does have a cousin that might but we would have to ask him...
The joint sponsor doesn't need to be a family member.

Ian
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

His mum died when he was 10. We'll sit down and talk. He has to get on the flight, no qualms about that because he can't stay here anymore. What we do from here on we will have to sit down probably with a solicitor and really think about it.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:59 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Practical JEff says, then you understand that your biggest problem is not immigration, it's keeping your family fed, clothed, and housed after he immigrates. That concern is, after all, why the I-864 exists in the first place - the US government wants immigrants to be kept alive without undue burden on the public.

First try to figure out where enough money to live on is going to come from. Once you have that you'll be able to complete the I-864. And if you can't come up with enough money to live on you have a more basic problem than immigration.

Regards, JEff

What I mean is I was told by the solicitor in order for me to be able to file for him to come here I would need the £19,000 a year plus rent.
The thing is even if he is going to work and earn that much, it'd not stay that much for long. I will go out and work because I have to in order to suport my family. Believe me I know it's not easy surviving on minimum wage, I'm living off less than that right now and suporting my husband, my daughter and 2 dogs.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Practical JEff says, then you understand that your biggest problem is not immigration, it's keeping your family fed, clothed, and housed after he immigrates. That concern is, after all, why the I-864 exists in the first place - the US government wants immigrants to be kept alive without undue burden on the public.

First try to figure out where enough money to live on is going to come from. Once you have that you'll be able to complete the I-864. And if you can't come up with enough money to live on you have a more basic problem than immigration.

Regards, JEff
I understand that and the UK does too, but when your faced with being split apart for posibly years and didn't realise this when you fell in love got married and had a kid, then what? Just split up and get a divorce? Sorry but the whole situation is impractical and if I'd of known this I'd never of brought a child into the situation. That little girl is going to have to grow up with out her daddy because the US and UK say we need to make 2 persons wages in one pay check.. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but in this economy it's the reality my family and I are faced with, we would be able to surive if we were both working but they want him to make 2 peoples wages..

Last edited by Sabrielle; Jan 31st 2012 at 6:15 am.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:21 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is returning to the US (ticket booked) as he was an over stayer in the UK due to severe family issues and finantual problems (it was never intentional).
Have you looked into sorting out your husband's situation in the UK? It sounds as it clearing the way for him to stay in the UK would be a much better use of your limited funds than the cost of moving all of your family to the US, where life is much more tenuous for people on a low income (no "safety net" as there is in the UK).
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Have you looked into sorting out your husband's situation in the UK? It sounds as it clearing the way for him to stay in the UK would be a much better use of your limited funds than the cost of moving all of your family to the US, where life is much more tenuous for people on a low income (no "safety net" as there is in the UK).
I've been told, by the solicitor, if we start to file with in the UK that we may be raided and he may be detained and deported (neither of us want to put our daughter though this). But if we send him back and get it like that I have to get a job that earns £19,000 and my rent on top of that. How exactly am I meant to come up with that much money? I will quit university if it means I can get him over here and I will continue to work, but if I can't find a job that supplies that much money how am I going to get him back here? £19,000 is not minimum wage in the UK, that is a lot more... If I worked minimum wage if thats all I can get I'd be lucky to get just over £12,000 a year.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:45 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I've been told, by the solicitor, if we start to file with in the UK that we may be raided and he may be detained and deported (neither of us want to put our daughter though this).
That sounds pretty dire. There is a forum that is often recommended by folks on here for queries with regard to Americans in the UK, I think it is called UK-Yankee, try Googling for it. Perhaps you might find people on there with experience of the kind of problem you have -- I do believe that working to keep him in the UK is the way for you to go.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

That sounds pretty dire. There is a forum that is often recommended by folks on here for queries with regard to Americans in the UK, I think it is called UK-Yankee, try Googling for it. Perhaps you might find people on there with experience of the kind of problem you have -- I do believe that working to keep him in the UK is the way for you to go.
I think thats what we'll have to do then. I'll need to start looking for a job.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a forum that is often recommended by folks on here for queries with regard to Americans in the UK, I think it is called UK-Yankee, try Googling for it. Perhaps you might find people on there with experience of the kind of problem you have -- I do believe that working to keep him in the UK is the way for you to go.
Yep, www.uk-yankee.com.

I agree that trying to stay in the UK is probably a better risk right now. I am guessing the UK doesn't use Joint Sponsors the way USA does? If they didn't the OP wouldn't have to quit school.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

just for reference, until April, the maintenance figure for the UK is only like 6000 GBP , not 19000 GBP...there is a consultation that the UKBA just finished a few months ago that they are going to be implementing some of it which will increase the current figure to anything upto 26000 GBP , but the speculation at the moment is that the new stuff wont be implemented till April
so if you get your butt in gear and get the application in before april for the UK immigration then you may very well get in before the changes come in, the only thing about that is that the application alone will cost you just under 1000 GBP.
ive included a link below about the UK immigration requirements . you may benefit from looking at a site called www.ukresident.com as well, they have lots and lots of UK immigration information , including a lot of stuff on section 8, they also have immigration advisors that post there.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...dance/ecg/maa/ this link states that there is no explicit monetary figure but that it cannot be expected to be higher than a UK family of the same size on income support.
the figure most people use is 105 GBP plus something like 60 or 70 GBP for each child

good luck with your situation , i hope you get it sorted
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yep, www.uk-yankee.com.

I agree that trying to stay in the UK is probably a better risk right now. I am guessing the UK doesn't use Joint Sponsors the way USA does? If they didn't the OP wouldn't have to quit school.

Rene
I don't know but if they did my grandad would but I'm not sure if he'd count as he's retired and gets disability benefits so that would back fire on it's self anyway. Feel so sorry for my husband, he hates it here and he really wants to go back home perminantly. But it looks like we don't have much choice but to stay..
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulpur
just for reference, until April, the maintenance figure for the UK is only like 6000 GBP , not 19000 GBP...there is a consultation that the UKBA just finished a few months ago that they are going to be implementing some of it which will increase the current figure to anything upto 26000 GBP , but the speculation at the moment is that the new stuff wont be implemented till April
so if you get your butt in gear and get the application in before april for the UK immigration then you may very well get in before the changes come in, the only thing about that is that the application alone will cost you just under 1000 GBP.
ive included a link below about the UK immigration requirements . you may benefit from looking at a site called www.ukresident.com as well, they have lots and lots of UK immigration information , including a lot of stuff on section 8, they also have immigration advisors that post there.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...dance/ecg/maa/ this link states that there is no explicit monetary figure but that it cannot be expected to be higher than a UK family of the same size on income support.
the figure most people use is 105 GBP plus something like 60 or 70 GBP for each child

good luck with your situation , i hope you get it sorted
Thank you, if I get a job now and get his application in when he goes back in feb then I can try and do that..
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

whilst i never advocate overstaying or doing anything illegal, your husband has already did it and is in the boat now, i believe that if he leaves, he will incur a 1 year ban from the UK
it may be more prudent for you guys to post your story on that www.ukresident.com site and see if any of the immigration advisors that post can provide you any legal insights, they may even be able to advise you on who to talk to in an advisor/solicitor capacity, they post on that forum for free and may be able to help you before you guys make a mistake that cannot be rectified quickly...it may behoove you to keep your husband in the UK and file for DLR(discretionary leave to remain) under section 8 , i believe that between the application and any appeals, he can remain in the UK whilst the application is being considered , but dont quote me on that , i am by no means up on UK immigration poilicies, just what ive read
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned assets, but just thought I'd bring it up again. It sounds like you guys don't have much in cash savings, right? But do you own a home in the UK? If you sold that home, would you have anything like $70,000? If so, then the USA is still a possibility.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I mentioned assets, but just thought I'd bring it up again. It sounds like you guys don't have much in cash savings, right? But do you own a home in the UK? If you sold that home, would you have anything like $70,000? If so, then the USA is still a possibility.

Rene
No we don't own our own home. My grandad might be willing to help us and has said he will pay legal fees already (he offered) but I'm not sure if he could get that much money.. Thats a lot! Husband and I were discussing it earlier. It sounds cheaper to get him back here and then buy a house and once we've paid it off move as we can buy a house state side and have some money behind us... thats if we ever get back to the states, it looks pretty impossible..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.