I'm so naive...

Old May 8th 2016, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

bagelboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm so naive...

Hello BE people, thanks for taking time to read my post.

I would really like to move to America in (or close after) September this year.

I had no idea that the VISA requirements were so strict, and I'm looking at my qualifications wishing I had taken a more serious degree.

I have a Bachelors in Animation, but have been working freelance in lots of creative areas for about a decade. USA doesn't need any more broke artists...right!

My question is this: Can I visit the USA on the 90 day waiver, get a job 30 days in (be it in the industry or a barman) and then apply through the employer for a working visa to stay more permanently.

Thanks in advance,
bagel.

Old May 8th 2016, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm so naive...

Originally Posted by bagelboy
Hello BE people, thanks for taking time to read my post.

I would really like to move to America in (or close after) September this year.

I had no idea that the VISA requirements were so strict, and I'm looking at my qualifications wishing I had taken a more serious degree.

I have a Bachelors in Animation, but have been working freelance in lots of creative areas for about a decade. USA doesn't need any more broke artists...right!

My question is this: Can I visit the USA on the 90 day waiver, get a job 30 days in (be it in the industry or a barman) and then apply through the employer for a working visa to stay more permanently.

Thanks in advance,
bagel.

Some other people that are more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly i expect to help out.

I don't think you would get a visa for a job in a bar.
read this for information if you already haven't
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

How come you want to work in the usa by the way?

Last edited by cheradenine; May 8th 2016 at 7:33 pm.
Old May 8th 2016, 7:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you need a work visa prior to coming to the USA if you want to work in the USA.

On the VWP, you can't work, but you can go on interviews and make some connections in your industry.

Rene
Old May 8th 2016, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

A number of reasons I suppose. I'm still fairly young and have zero responsibilities, so would like to experience anywhere I move to for longer than 3 months.

I would like to experience another part of the world, and the USA fascinates me.

I cannot learn languages, and therefore I'm a bit limited to where I could emigrate to and not be an ignorant foreigner (I do my best, but nope)

There's also Brexit looming.

Not a fan of our government.

This is a lot more difficult than I imagined!

bagel.

Old May 8th 2016, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, you need a work visa prior to coming to the USA if you want to work in the USA.

On the VWP, you can't work, but you can go on interviews and make some connections in your industry.

Rene
Thanks Rene. That was a good, concise answer.

bagel.

Old May 8th 2016, 7:40 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

A number of reasons I suppose. I'm still fairly young and have zero responsibilities, so would like to experience anywhere I move to for longer than 3 months.

I would like to experience another part of the world, and the USA fascinates me.

I cannot learn languages, and therefore I'm a bit limited to where I could emigrate to and not be an ignorant foreigner (I do my best, but nope)

bagel.

Unfortunately, it IS difficult, and most people don't realise quite how difficult it is until they start researching it.

Have a read here and see if there are any visas you think you might qualify for - Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old May 8th 2016, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Unfortunately, it IS difficult, and most people don't realise quite how difficult it is until they start researching it.

Have a read here and see if there are any visas you think you might qualify for - Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Thanks Wintersong. I've looked through that list - I can't find anything that relates to me. Unless I'm underestimating myself and I have..."extraordinary ability"...but I have a feeling that means famous celebrities or well known artists etc?

bagel.
Old May 8th 2016, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

bagel.

Actually moving to America is incredibly difficult. there is a common misconception that anyone can just stroll up and get a visa to live in the states.

Not to put you off or anything.

our government may be disagreeable but when you take a step back and compare it to the possibility of Donald trump as president.....

have you been to America much?
despite the common language it's pretty different here.
Old May 8th 2016, 7:48 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wintersong. I've looked through that list - I can't find anything that relates to me. Unless I'm underestimating myself and I have..."extraordinary ability"...but I have a feeling that means famous celebrities or well known artists etc?

bagel.
Not as far as I'm aware - if you've had international recognition, published work in your field etc. then you may qualify. If you think it may be possible to qualify on this basis, it might be worth stumping for a meeting with an immigration attorney
Old May 8th 2016, 7:48 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by cheradenine

our government may be disagreeable but when you take a step back and compare it to the possibility of Donald trump as president.....
Ain't that the truth
Old May 8th 2016, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

have you been to America much?
despite the common language it's pretty different here.
I have never been. I'm quite adaptable though. Ahh well, looks like my bubble be burst...for now!

bagel.

Old May 8th 2016, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Ain't that the truth
I actually have a twisted desire to see him win just to see what crazy, nonsensical schemes he will cook up.
Old May 8th 2016, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at my qualifications wishing I had taken a more serious degree.
Never, ever think like this again. You're doing what you enjoy... and that's as much as anyone can ask. Had you taken a "more serious degree", there's still no guarantee that it would ever have led to a job in the US... and you'd end up doing something that you don't enjoy - and that's no way to live.

Can I visit the USA on the 90 day waiver, get a job 30 days in (be it in the industry or a barman) and then apply through the employer for a working visa to stay more permanently.
You can try, yes. Keep in mind that both you and the job must qualify for a visa. Also, a visa is a travel document and you can't apply for a visa from inside the US. Further, the employer must start the process on your behalf - so unless you get a sponsor who's willing to spend between $5K-$10K just so you can work, it's likely not going to happen.

I can't find anything that relates to me.
Most people in the world will never come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

I have a feeling that means famous celebrities or well known artists etc?
The bar for an O-1 visa is a bit lower than you might think.

Ian
Old May 8th 2016, 8:02 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

I actually have a twisted desire to see him win just to see what crazy, nonsensical schemes he will cook up.
It might be fun... if only we wouldn't all have to live with the consequences
Old May 8th 2016, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

The bar for an O-1 visa is a bit lower than you might think.
Hey, ian thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

It seems as though whatever the situation, I'd need to ideally have a job offer, that as you said, was willing to be backed financially by the employer, before I ever thought about moving.

Perhaps a holiday is in order.

bagel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.