Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

If Refused How long to wait ??????????

If Refused How long to wait ??????????

Old Jul 13th 2002, 3:20 pm
John

Default If Refused How long to wait ??????????

On receiving my police certificate I discovered I had a conviction I genuinely did
not know I had. It occurred 5 years ago when I was a student (Over excited partying
resulted in a breach of the peace )at the time I did not go to court, just paid a
fine by letter. because of this I thought that was that , no court, no record, like a
parking ticket, but it appears that it was a conviction!!!. I know the conviction is
nothing to worry about, but I have travelled to the US twice on a visa waiver which
means I wrongly ticked the "No convictions " box both on the plane and on my
biographical information forms !!!!!!!! this will be a big problem I think? There is
a very good chance I will be refused now???!!! If I am refused I take it the next
step is I apply for a waiver? How long does this process take? what's
involved??.....Please help me folks John

Aangiela

Default Re: If Refused How long to wait ??????????

It's probably going to vary from situation to situation, but I'll let you know about
what happened to my fiance. A few years ago, his boss loaned him his car. Well, my
fiance was a little careless and got into an accident. He ended up getting a ticket
for driving a car which he wasn't insured for. Like you, he just paid his fine and
went on his merry way. He too checked "no convictions" on his I-94W and on the Packet
3 forms. Well, when he got his police certificate, that ticket was listed on there.
He too was a bit worried that he was going to have problems when he went to the
interview, but the man who conducted his interview just asked him to explain what
happened, and he was approved.

All you can do is go to the interview and try. If they deny you, then you'll have to
get a waiver.

Good luck,

Angie

Ranjini

Default Re: If Refused How long to wait ??????????

Like Angie said, it's not going to affect your visa. I think a crime have to a lot
more serious than that. The fact that you didn't mention it before shouldn't matter
either. Just state the facts as is from this point on. You'll be just fine. Ranjini

"john" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > On receiving my police certificate I discovered I had a conviction I genuinely did
    > not know I had. It occurred 5 years ago when I was a student (Over excited partying
    > resulted in a breach of the peace )at the time I did not go to court, just paid a
    > fine by letter. because of this I thought that was that , no court, no record, like
    > a parking ticket, but it appears that it was a conviction!!!. I know the conviction
    > is nothing to worry about, but I have travelled to the US twice on a visa waiver
    > which means I wrongly ticked the "No convictions " box both on the plane and on my
    > biographical information forms !!!!!!!! this will be a big problem I think? There
    > is a very good chance I will be refused now???!!! If I am refused I take it the
    > next step is I apply for a waiver? How long does this process take? what's
    > involved??.....Please help me folks John