Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

If I have a visa, will the wife get one easily too?

If I have a visa, will the wife get one easily too?

Old Jul 12th 2015, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Dosedmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I have a visa, will the wife get one easily too?

Originally Posted by Dosedmonkey
I feel if I am working internationally, why can't I reside where I want, as long as I have good pay, and willing to pay the taxes associated with it.
UK Seafarers DO live in the UK and UK seafarers DO pay social security, also known as national insurance in the UK. UK seafarers just have a Income tax exemption, if working out of the UK waters for more then 180 days a year.

Originally Posted by Guindalf
People that live and work in the UK also pay tax and social security for the privilege. If you're not paying either, no matter what the reason, and you're not in the military, how can you expect to get free healthcare as well?

As my learned friend says, you can't have your cake and eat it too!
I am talking as a UK resident and citizen and seafarer, not in my situation of living in Chile, I have private medical insurance of course, etc.

Legally a UK seafarer pay their tax in UK. They fill out tax return forms, declaring all their earnings. The UK exempts them from paying income tax, as it is essential they have seafarers for the country to work and is a massive boost to economy. But because a UK seafarer is out of the country for more then 180 days of the year, new legislation makes him similar he does not reside, yet he returns to the UK when not on ship, so he still pays council tax, property tax, VAT, national insurance, etc. some of this goes in to things such as NHS.

British flagged merchant vessels, are legally British territory and apply to British law, yet, they don't have a UK postcode so I become stuck.

Certainly in that scenario neither the UK nor US would be my first "port of call". Not to mention visas.

Methinks someone needs to do some more research ..
In reply to thinking I would not want to live in US or UK due to tax, it has become obvious, I can not reside easily outside the UK a less immigrating via marriage of spouse, or changing job to one that is not offshore. So the choice is either EU territory or Peru, and Peru isn't exactly the nicest place to live with currently raising drug and gang problems amongst other things.

If you have good alternative suggestions, feel free to explain, otherwise just telling me UK or US is not a good idea, I need to do research is not very helpful.... equal standard of living but lower tax anyone?

A lot of these heavens, also have a rich or poor divide, not much of a middle class, so you end up spending a lot extra if you want mod cons.

Last edited by Dosedmonkey; Jul 12th 2015 at 11:43 am.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So the choice is either EU territory or Peru, and Peru isn't exactly the nicest place to live with currently raising drug and gang problems amongst other things.
If those are your choices, and Peru isn't a good one... then the answer seems obvious.

If you have good alternative suggestions, feel free to explain, otherwise just telling me UK or US is not a good idea, I need to do research is not very helpful.
It sounds like you'd prefer someone else to do your research for you. That's not our job! It's your life... not ours - so you're the one who needs to do the research.

... equal standard of living but lower tax anyone?
At age 27, I was all about money also... just like you. News flash - you can't have it both ways. I have said it repeatedly, but you seem to have a problem acknowledging the truth. That's not something anyone here can help you with.

Here's another news flash: the life you're living right now? You chose it... so don't get pissy with us just because you have issues with your life right now! That's not our fault - and it's not our job to sort it out for you.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 12th 2015 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 1:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have good alternative suggestions, feel free to explain, otherwise just telling me UK or US is not a good idea, I need to do research is not very helpful.... equal standard of living but lower tax anyone?

A lot of these heavens, also have a rich or poor divide, not much of a middle class, so you end up spending a lot extra if you want mod cons.
You are posting on an internet forum which helps people who want to live and work in the USA. Not other countries. The people on this forum are knowledgeable and helpful about moving to the USA. Not other countries.

So if you are trying to ask for people's help in researching which countries have a good standard of living but low tax rate, and a healthy middle class lifestyle, this isn't the right forum.

If you were asking which state inside the USA is the best place to live, yes. But not if you're asking which country, because this forum only deals with the USA.

Rene