IBIS Hit

Old Apr 24th 2003, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

lfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura about
Default IBIS Hit

anyone know what this is?
Old Apr 24th 2003, 11:46 pm
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. BCIS and NVC run IBIS name checks on petitioners and fiancees. If your last name is Bundy, Gasey, Hussien, BinLaden, etc. you would probably be a, "Hit". if you have unpaid speeding tickets, a felony on your record, etc. you might also come up as a hit. Depending on what the hit is would depend on how long it would take for them to sort it out.

Did you get a hit?

Scott

This is what I have come to understand a, "Hit" to be, however, I am not an expert, nor an attorney and still have to have my mother tie my shoes for me. Please do not take my two cents worth as the law of the land...
Old Apr 24th 2003, 11:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I asked a similar question recently, here's the reply. Scroll down the thread to Rete's answer. Hope that helps you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=Noorah101

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2003, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

lfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by ScottHenshaw
Yes. BCIS and NVC run IBIS name checks on petitioners and fiancees. If your last name is Bundy, Gasey, Hussien, BinLaden, etc. you would probably be a, "Hit". if you have unpaid speeding tickets, a felony on your record, etc. you might also come up as a hit. Depending on what the hit is would depend on how long it would take for them to sort it out.

Did you get a hit?

Scott

This is what I have come to understand a, "Hit" to be, however, I am not an expert, nor an attorney and still have to have my mother tie my shoes for me. Please do not take my two cents worth as the law of the land...
i didnt get a hit but i was reading matt udall's MSC timelines and came across it. is it like a credit check too? lord knows i dont have the best credit. my husbands last name is faridi. good thing it aint trikriti.....lol
Old Apr 25th 2003, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

drvics is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Our case got an IBIS hit at the Consulate more than 4 months ago, and this caused a "thorough investigation" to be launched. The consulate told me this would mean our process would be delayed at least six months-- before they can even schedule our consulate interview! The purpose of the investigation, of course, is to make sure that the hit was for minor reasons (name coincidence or small problems) and not for criminal or immigration violations. I hope you did not get an IBIS hit and if you do, hopefully you won't don't have to wait as long as we are having to wait. Good luck.
-VCH.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

pitani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by drvics
Hi,

Our case got an IBIS hit at the Consulate more than 4 months ago, and this caused a "thorough investigation" to be launched. The consulate told me this would mean our process would be delayed at least six months-- before they can even schedule our consulate interview! The purpose of the investigation, of course, is to make sure that the hit was for minor reasons (name coincidence or small problems) and not for criminal or immigration violations. I hope you did not get an IBIS hit and if you do, hopefully you won't don't have to wait as long as we are having to wait. Good luck.
-VCH.
That's interesting because my husband's name came up and we were only delayed 33 days. See timeline below.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 2:29 pm
Scott and Nanette

drvics,

Am I understanding you correctly? You went through the service center and NVC without a hitch and then hit a bump in the road with the consulate/embassy? Which consulate? With these forums it is nice that if one chooses to be the bearer of bad news that they can share the whole story Did they tell you why the. "thorough Investigation"? Was it a linked last name, terrorism related, criminal record, etc?

Thanks,

Scott
Old Apr 25th 2003, 3:28 pm
Whimsical in the brainpan

Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light

My question is:

What causes a hit? In the USC and in the beneficiary?
Old Apr 25th 2003, 3:44 pm
Ron

Default Re: IBIS Hit

numerous things - a crime, failure to pay child support, failure of USC to
pay taxes.

"Elenfair" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My question is:
    > What causes a hit? In the USC and in the beneficiary?
    > --
    > Elly, waiting patiently in Canada
    > 1st NOA Feb. 19, 2003
    > 2nd NOA sometime in the next century...
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 25th 2003, 4:00 pm
Scott and Nanette

Elenfair,

I beleive the answer to your question is: Both... When I spoke to the guy at NSC, (Who was very helpful) he told me that a hit just means that your name is in a sytem, it is "Marked". Some simple examples might be a previous conviction, both felony and missdermeanor, even an unpaid parking ticket. Stuff like this just requires a second look. In this case they would look for things like crimes of moral terpitude, prostituition, illigal immigrations smuggling and things like that. If you have never been locked up for murder or been involved in a human smuggling ring you are probably not going to be delayed very long.

Second issue would have to be the terror issue. If you fiancee is from a known terrorist state or from a state that has a majority of Muslim fundimentalist and his/her name might be simalier to that of a name on a list that the government keeps on suspects, then a "Thorough" investatigation might be warranted.

I suspect that the bottom line is what Matt Udall states, that if you have any past issues with the law then there WILL be a delay, "Slight to Signifacant".

As far as names matching, I guess it would depend on what your last names are. If the are Smith and Jackson, probably not a problem. Hussien and Tickriti, might require an investigation

Scott
Old Apr 25th 2003, 4:45 pm
Whimsical in the brainpan

Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light

Ffanks.

It's more morbid curiosity than anything else making me ask the question
Old Apr 27th 2003, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

drvics is an unknown quantity at this point

Scott:
That's exactly right. My approved application was only at the NVC less than five days-- they quickly forwarded to the Consulate (Mexico/Juarez) with no problem. Then consulate told me it would only take a month to schedule the interview. And then the nightmare began-- five months have passed since then. By the way, the reason for the IBIS hit was that my wife had previously visited me with her tourist visa several times, and the last time she tried, they interrogated her at the airport and did not allow her entry. They also cancelled her tourist visa and told her she could only enter under my (spouse) petition. I explained all this to the consulate and they said, "too bad, now you have to wait for a lengthy investigation."
--drvics/vch

p.s. FYI i've posted a more detailed story on this board.
Good luck

SQUOTE]Originally posted by ScottHenshaw
drvics,

Am I understanding you correctly? You went through the service center and NVC without a hitch and then hit a bump in the road with the consulate/embassy? Which consulate? With these forums it is nice that if one chooses to be the bearer of bad news that they can share the whole story Did they tell you why the. "thorough Investigation"? Was it a linked last name, terrorism related, criminal record, etc?

Thanks,

Scott [/QUOTE]