Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I won DV-2003... But I dont' think I can use it... Need advice

I won DV-2003... But I dont' think I can use it... Need advice

Old Apr 24th 2002, 1:30 am
Dv-Man

Default I won DV-2003... But I dont' think I can use it... Need advice

I'm a senior in college on an F-1 visa, and will be going off to medschool at a
different school. The new school will be sending me my new I-20 and documents to get
my new F-1 visa. This morning, I received the letter from the kentucky consular
center informing me of my selection in the DV-2003 lottery. This is great news. But I
don't think I can use it:

My question is, because I haven't acted on the lottery letter, does that still
make me someone who hasn't applied for lawful permanent residence? Because I am
told, that if I indicate in my new F-1 visa application that I have a permanent
residence app pending, it will be denied.. Because I don't know how long the
greencard thing is going to take, I can't risk sending it now, and having to leave
the country (and not attend medschool while it is pending). Can I please get some
help from somebody?

Friends have suggested to me to first get my new F-1 (pretend that I havent'
applied for PR because I still haven't acted on the offer letter). Then they say,
after I come into the U.S., apply for adjustment of status.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I should be happy about this, but
I'm really worried.

DV-man

Old Apr 24th 2002, 2:29 am
Just Joined

lisenok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I won DV-2003... But I dont' think I can use it... Need advice

Congratulations!

Don't worry. You will be able to apply for green card ONLY after October 1, 2002 till September 30, 2003.
If before this day you apply and receive F visa( or if you alredy have it and legally in the USA), you will be able to make an Adjustment of status in the Local INS office.

BTW From wich continent you played?

Read instructions carefully.
Good Luck!
Lisenok

I'm a senior in college on an F-1 visa, and will be going off to medschool at a
different school. The new school will be sending me my new I-20 and documents to get
my new F-1 visa. This morning, I received the letter from the kentucky consular
center informing me of my selection in the DV-2003 lottery. This is great news. But I
don't think I can use it:

My question is, because I haven't acted on the lottery letter, does that still
make me someone who hasn't applied for lawful permanent residence? Because I am
told, that if I indicate in my new F-1 visa application that I have a permanent
residence app pending, it will be denied.. Because I don't know how long the
greencard thing is going to take, I can't risk sending it now, and having to leave
the country (and not attend medschool while it is pending). Can I please get some
help from somebody?

Friends have suggested to me to first get my new F-1 (pretend that I havent'
applied for PR because I still haven't acted on the offer letter). Then they say,
after I come into the U.S., apply for adjustment of status.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I should be happy about this, but
I'm really worried.

DV-man
Old Apr 24th 2002, 6:00 am
eagleflyer

Hmmm.... the visa numbers are limited and since the numbers of participants greatly
exceeds the number of visas eventually issued, it is generally recommended to react
immediatly. Otherwise the total of
55.000 visas worldwide mav have been exhausted before you get your case going. You
might loose your "opportunity" to immigrate into the US on the current DV program.

On 24 Apr 2002 03:00:13 GMT, lisenok <[email protected]> wrote:

>Congratulations!
    >
    >Don't worry. You will be able to apply for green card ONLY after October 1, 2002
    >till September 30, 2003. If before this day you apply and receive F visa( or if you
    >alredy have it and legally in the USA), you will be able to make an Adjustment of
    >status in the Local INS office.
    >
    >BTW From wich continent you played?
    >
    >Read instructions carefully. Good Luck! Lisenok
    >
    >
    >I'm a senior in college on an F-1 visa, and will be going off to medschool at a
    >different school. The new school will be sending me my new I-20 and documents to get
    >my new F-1 visa. This morning, I received the letter from the kentucky consular
    >center informing me of my selection in the DV-2003 lottery. This is great news. But
    >I don't think I can use it:
    >
    >My question is, because I haven't acted on the lottery letter, does that still make
    >me someone who hasn't applied for lawful permanent residence? Because I am told,
    >that if I indicate in my new F-1 visa application that I have a permanent residence
    >app pending, it will be denied.. Because I don't know how long the greencard thing
    >is going to take, I can't risk sending it now, and having to leave the country (and
    >not attend medschool while it is pending). Can I please get some help from somebody?
    >
    >Friends have suggested to me to first get my new F-1 (pretend that I havent' applied
    >for PR because I still haven't acted on the offer letter). Then they say, after I
    >come into the U.S., apply for adjustment of status.
    >
    >Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I should be happy about this, but
    >I'm really worried.
    >
    >DV-man
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 24th 2002, 5:30 pm
Inon

I would go ahead and act upon DV-2003 result and apply for adjustment of status (AOS)
and also pursue my F-1 visa. By the time AOS is decided upon, you would be a legal
with F-1 visa.

Good luck.

Old Apr 24th 2002, 9:00 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

DV-man wrote:

> I'm a senior in college on an F-1 visa, and will be going off to medschool at a
    > different school. The new school will be sending me my new I-20 and documents to
    > get my new F-1 visa. This morning, I received the letter from the kentucky consular
    > center informing me of my selection in the DV-2003 lottery. This is great news. But
    > I don't think I can use it:
    >
    > My question is, because I haven't acted on the lottery letter, does that still
    > make me someone who hasn't applied for lawful permanent residence?

No. You have already filed a petition for permanent resident status. The diversity
program application is considered to be a "petition." On Form DS 157, the
nonimmigrant visa application form, you should indicate the truth. This is
particularly true since you "won" the DV lottery, and the information is easily
available to the U.S. government. Lying on the form could lead to charges of fraud.

But why would you need to apply for a visa? See below.

Because I am told, that if I indicate in my new F-1 visa
    > application that I have a permanent residence app pending, it will be denied..

What new F-1 visa application are you talking about? Are you planning to leave the
U.S.? If you do not leave the U.S., you do not have to apply for a visa.

You should call the international office of the new school and ask them to effect an
F-1 transfer. This is a paperwork procedure performed by the school. The approval of
INS is not needed. The school notifies INS of the transfer after it has occurred.

If I were you I would not leave the U.S. merely for the purpose of changing
schools. Whatever risk you have in obtaining a new nonimmigrant visa, because you
have demonstrable immigrant intent, you already have, no matter what you do about
the DV process.

Because I don't know how long the greencard thing is going to
    > take, I can't risk sending it now, and having to leave the country (and not attend
    > medschool while it is pending). Can I please get some help from somebody?

You may not have to leave the U.S. before getting PR status. On or after October 1,
2002, depending on when your rank number becomes current, you can file Form I-485 at
the INS district office for you residence, and you may obtain PR status several
months later without leaving the U.S. The INS district office is supposed to expedite
the I-485 because you will lose the chance at PR status if you don't obtain it by
09/30/03. However, it's often difficult to get the INS office to schedule the
interview early, particularly at certain INS offices.

By the way, even if you were to choose consular processing, you only have to leave
the U.S. for about a week. You can attend school while you are waiting for your
interview to be scheduled.

You might consider consular processing anyway, because especially if you have a high
rank number, you may lose your chance at the green card is your interview is
scheduled too late in the year. Consular processing carries a much lower risk with
respect to that issue.

> Friends have suggested to me to first get my new F-1 (pretend that I havent'
    > applied for PR because I still haven't acted on the offer letter).

Bad idea. See above.

Then they say, after I come into the U.S., apply for
    > adjustment of status.
    >
    > Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I should be happy about this,
    > but I'm really worried.

Old Apr 25th 2002, 2:30 am
Ae

[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hmmm.... the visa numbers are limited and since the numbers of participants greatly
    > exceeds the number of visas eventually issued, it is generally recommended to react
    > immediatly. Otherwise the total of
    > 55.000 visas worldwide mav have been exhausted before you get your case going. You
    > might loose your "opportunity" to immigrate into the US on the current DV
    > program.
    >
    > On 24 Apr 2002 03:00:13 GMT, lisenok <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Congratulations!
    > >
    > >Don't worry. You will be able to apply for green card ONLY after October 1, 2002
    > >till September 30, 2003. If before this day you apply and receive F visa( or if
    > >you alredy have it and legally in the USA), you will be able to make an Adjustment
    > >of status in the Local INS office.
    > >
    > >BTW From wich continent you played?
    > >
    > >Read instructions carefully. Good Luck! Lisenok
    > >
    > >
    > >I'm a senior in college on an F-1 visa, and will be going off to medschool at a
    > >different school. The new school will be sending me my new I-20 and documents to
    > >get my new F-1 visa. This morning, I received the letter from the kentucky
    > >consular center informing me of my selection in the DV-2003 lottery. This is great
    > >news. But I don't think I can use it:
    > >
    > >My question is, because I haven't acted on the lottery letter, does that still
    > >make me someone who hasn't applied for lawful permanent residence? Because I am
    > >told, that if I indicate in my new F-1 visa application that I have a permanent
    > >residence app pending, it will be denied.. Because I don't know how long the
    > >greencard thing is going to take, I can't risk sending it now, and having to leave
    > >the country (and not attend medschool while it is pending). Can I please get some
    > >help from somebody?
    > >
    > >Friends have suggested to me to first get my new F-1 (pretend that I havent'
    > >applied for PR because I still haven't acted on the offer letter). Then they say,
    > >after I come into the U.S., apply for adjustment of status.
    > >
    > >Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I should be happy about this, but
    > >I'm really worried.
    > >
    > >DV-man
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >--
    > >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Of course you can DV-man. If u r legally in the USA you may apply for adjustment of
status to lawful permanent resident status(green card holder-contact your local INS
office for details). Or u may go consular, whatever is more convenient 4u. One thing
is certain, if you apply for adjustment (in the US), you have to wait until at least
October 2002 to apply, depending on your lottery rank #. Check the State Department's
monthly Visa Bulletin to see if your # is up in October...anyway, if u r already in
the States and plan to go thru adjustment, get the forms--including the medical
form--, and spend the summer making sure that all of your legal documents are o.k.
Details vary every year, so my advise is to check regularly with your local INS
office all thru the process. If you go consular, follow the instructions very
carefully and good luck! Congrats!!

AE