I need your advice!

Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:29 am
Just Joined

gemini123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need your advice!

I already bought a round trip to my home country for my vacation this Sept.

I have with me right now a conditional greencard expiring next year (2009)
Marriage failed and just received the divorce decree.

I am still seeking an immigration lawyer to help me file the removal of conditions with waiver.

My worries is if their will be any problem when I returned in th US. I am already divorced, with a conditional greencard expiring 2009 and still preparing to file the removal of conditions.

Is it better to file the removal of conditions with waiver (divorce decree already on hand) before my trip to Phils or after my trip?

PLSSSS I NEED YOUR ADVICE!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:20 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I need your advice!

Originally Posted by gemini123
I already bought a round trip to my home country for my vacation this Sept.

I have with me right now a conditional greencard expiring next year (2009)
Marriage failed and just received the divorce decree.

I am still seeking an immigration lawyer to help me file the removal of conditions with waiver.

My worries is if their will be any problem when I returned in th US. I am already divorced, with a conditional greencard expiring 2009 and still preparing to file the removal of conditions.

Is it better to file the removal of conditions with waiver (divorce decree already on hand) before my trip to Phils or after my trip?

PLSSSS I NEED YOUR ADVICE!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Hi:

You are already working with a lawyer. Talk to her. BTW, the law is quite favorable for anyone applying for admission who has EVER been a permanent resident.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You are already working with a lawyer. Talk to her. BTW, the law is quite favorable for anyone applying for admission who has EVER been a permanent resident.
You must know something we don't know
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemini123
My worries is if their will be any problem when I returned in th US.
You have a valid, unexpired Green Card. Why do you think you'll have problems? The US government won't know about your divorce unless you tell them... but even if you do, divorce isn't going to suddenly cause your GC to become invalid. As long as the GC is valid, you can travel.

Ian
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:44 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

First, I am sorry that things did not work out well for you in your marriage.

Next, an earlier poster is quite right: your LPR card is still valid, and as long as you effect re-entry to the USA before it expires, I see little difficulty for you coming back. Remember: your divorce is NOT going to be recorded in the immigration computer at the airport or at the border. Even if it WERE in the computer, you are still entitled to enter the USA until the card expires.

If you had an attorney assist you when you adjusted status (or consular processed) and first got your LPR card, you may experience difficulty going back to the same attorney to represent you for the I-751 removal. The divorce and estragement from your spouse put that original attorney in a conflict of interest. Many if not most ethical immigration attorneys will not accept an I-751 case under such circumstances. You'll need to find another attorney.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back, Mr. Fong. I was wondering if you'd forgotten about us.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:56 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

First, Bill, my name is J. After all, I work for my living!

Second, thank you. I have been on hiatus, knowing full well that you all have been in good hands with Stuart Folinsky and others. I just thought, after seeing the way some people were responding to some questions, I would try to put in my own tuppence with, striking perhaps a kinder and gentler note.

Again, thanks!

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
First, Bill, my name is J. After all, I work for my living!

Second, thank you. I have been on hiatus, knowing full well that you all have been in good hands with Stuart Folinsky and others. I just thought, after seeing the way some people were responding to some questions, I would try to put in my own tuppence with, striking perhaps a kinder and gentler note.

Again, thanks!

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Darn, can't karma twice!