Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I have an L1, exactly what proof do i need for my girlfriend to get a B2 'Cohabitant'

I have an L1, exactly what proof do i need for my girlfriend to get a B2 'Cohabitant'

Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have an L1, exactly what proof do i need for my girlfriend to get a B2 'Cohabit

Originally Posted by james_Taylor_UK
sorry no, at the minute she is not on the electoral roll, there is currently no letter or form at all that 'officially' shows we live together,which is where the issue is.. i cnput her on the bills now which will give us 4 months from no untill i apply for the visa as it will take this long to process everything with the job.

as i own the house everything has always been in my name, and as she previously lived at her mothers house house which is round the corner her mail still gets delivered there. we were in no real rush to change everything over as we saw no immediate need for this.

this job offer has come as a bit of a surprise otherwise in hind sight we would have put her name on everything ASAP...
If you've still got 4 months until you apply for your visa, then get everything changed over NOW, and start building that portfolio of proof of cohabitation! I wouldn't say it's too late to get started now. Do her change of address, add her to your mortgage statement or house deed or whatever you have, open a bank account together, get added as each other's beneficiaries on any benefits you have, if you have cars get added to the insurance together, joint names on utility bills, etc.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

triptastic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I have an L1, exactly what proof do i need for my girlfriend to get a B2 'Cohabit

When my then girlfriend, now wife, was on B2 cohabiting visa I was able to add her to my health benefits. However, it was much more strict than getting the visa in the first place. And although my employer said she would be covered, it was in fact out of their control - the benefit provider had the final say.

As for getting the B2 cohabiting visa, for us it was very simple. All we were asked was at the interview "How long we had been a couple?". But we did have a stack of evidence if they had wanted to see it.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:53 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

i appreciate about the health care situation, but i think if she was to be granted a B2 she will be covered by my company's health care. i only received the job offer a few days ago and i have for clarification on all these point.
Consider it from this viewpoint -- two cohabitants who are US citizens and residents frequently can't put each other on their company health insurance without there being a marital relationship -- so it is extremely unlikely that your company's policy would cover someone who is a non-resident visitor in the US. This is something you need to look into very carefully and to understand the ramifications.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 1:49 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
Not to mention that it is unlikely she will be able to be covered by your health insurance.

IMO health insurance is as good a reason as any for marriage.
For what it is worth -- many employer's do cover health care for unmarried domestic partners. The impetus for this lies in the Federal legislation attacking marriage [entitled "Defense of Marriage Act" -- I kid you not. Of course, merchants have long been know to pay "protection" fees, so I guess, the language is not all that weird. But I digress].

I know of one person whose daughter is covered under the coverage afforded her son-out-law.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 1:53 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, i am new to this forum, and after spending many recent nights searching this forum for information i feel it is time to ask for help.

My Situation:- i have just been offered a job in America for a minimum of 2 years and i will be granted a full L-1 visa. i have been with my girlfriend for almost 3 years and only recently has she moved into my house (in the past 6 months), as i own the house she does not have her name on any of the bills, and we have no official documentation saying we live together....

My Question :- exactly what proof would we need for her to be granted a B1/2 co-habiting visa, and how far back does this need to go.
-is it possible to get witness statements stating that we are a couple
-if i put her on the bills now and manage to postpone the job for 6 months will this be enough proof.
-i have heard it maybe possible with holiday statements and flight tickets, but this is all rumour

i have tried reading the official wording for this visa on the US Embassy site but this makes it no clearer. and i understand marriage would solve everything but it is not really the way we hoped to do things.

i assume i am not the first person this has happened to so any information would be greatly appreciated.

at the end of the day if it is not going to be possible then so be it, i would just like to know before accepting/turning down the job

Thanks in advance.
James
<sigh>. When ever I see the word "exactly" in a query, I tend to cringe a bit.

The minions of the Dark Force are somewhat fond of the phrase "case by case."

I'm not sure how it works, but does not the UK have a "council tax" based upon who resides in a home?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
<sigh>. When ever I see the word "exactly" in a query, I tend to cringe a bit.

The minions of the Dark Force are somewhat fond of the phrase "case by case."

I'm not sure how it works, but does not the UK have a "council tax" based upon who resides in a home?
Council tax is based on the property not the people who live there. Although some councils offer a small discount if there is only 1 person living there.