Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-94 Marked as Multiple Entry by IO

I-94 Marked as Multiple Entry by IO

Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough
Default I-94 Marked as Multiple Entry by IO

Hey all, just a quickie if anyone can help.

OH travels a few times a year to Mexico and Canada from our home in Houston (we are here on L1/L2 visas). When he was returning from Canada last week the IO wrote on his I-94 in big red letters - multiple entry. She asked him why he hands it in every time he leaves as it just causes more work for them and wrote that on his new I-94 and said he doesn't need to hand it in next time.

I've never heard of this before so just wanted to make sure that he should still hand it in when he leaves the country again in a few days, and also that the fact that it has been written on will not cause him any problems.

Thanks for any info anyone can give.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:42 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-94 Marked as Multiple Entry by IO

ive never heard of that either?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GetYourBritsOut
Hey all, just a quickie if anyone can help.

OH travels a few times a year to Mexico and Canada from our home in Houston (we are here on L1/L2 visas). When he was returning from Canada last week the IO wrote on his I-94 in big red letters - multiple entry. She asked him why he hands it in every time he leaves as it just causes more work for them and wrote that on his new I-94 and said he doesn't need to hand it in next time.

I've never heard of this before so just wanted to make sure that he should still hand it in when he leaves the country again in a few days, and also that the fact that it has been written on will not cause him any problems.

Thanks for any info anyone can give.
He can use the same I-94 through the expiration date written on it.
Canadian & Mexican travel is special in this regard, especially for land borders.

No time to search out the CBP.gov page for you but you can always ask the immigration officer to explain it better next time he's crossing.

This is in the same category as VWP visitors who exit to Canada or Mexico (or the other 'contiguous territory' countries).. they do not necessarily get a new I-94W + 90 days when they return to the US; they get 90 days in total for the region.

Since you're on long-term admissions, the I-94 is valid until the expiration date first written on it, while you're in the contiguous territory.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

When I was using TN status, my I-94s were always stamped "multiple entry". Think of it as a signal to CBP that they don't need to scold you for finding it in your ppt when you return from Canada or Mexico.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

yep, we used to travel to Canada at least once a month and kept the same I94s in passport ...saves a lot of hassle at the land border