Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-94 Expires on Jan 2007 - If I apply for AOS now will this be ok?

I-94 Expires on Jan 2007 - If I apply for AOS now will this be ok?

Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:00 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough
Default I-94 Expires on Jan 2007 - If I apply for AOS now will this be ok?

Hi,

My H1-B & I-94 expire on 01/01/2007. I am aiming to file for my AOS within the next 3 weeks. Will there be a problem if I don't receive my GC before my I-94 expires?

Also, it is possible I may need to leave the country a few times over the next year, but I do not have any definite dates. I will file the Application to Travel Document, however, will that allow me to travel back and forth to the UK freely next year & the year after?

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks,

Chris
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-94 Expires on Jan 2007 - If I apply for AOS now will this be ok?

Originally Posted by csf
Will there be a problem if I don't receive my GC before my I-94 expires?
Will there be a problem with what?

I will file the Application to Travel Document, however, will that allow me to travel back and forth to the UK freely next year & the year after?
While it's only valid for one year and will have to be renewed annually until you get the GC, you should have no problems leaving the US. There is never a guarantee that you will be allowed to re-enter the US.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:30 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Will there be a problem with what?
Will I be out of status if my I-94/H1-b expires before my greencard is issued? Or will the fact that I have filed for AOS before the expiration of my H1-b be enough to maintain my status?

Thanks.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:52 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Will I be out of status if my I-94/H1-b expires before my greencard is issued? Or will the fact that I have filed for AOS before the expiration of my H1-b be enough to maintain my status?

Thanks.
The fact you will have filed puts you into pending adjustment, keep the I-485 receipt from USCIS and you should be fine. Its only a problem if you are denied AOS and become an overstay due to non-maintainence of the H-1
Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:22 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Hi,

My H1-B & I-94 expire on 01/01/2007. I am aiming to file for my AOS within the next 3 weeks. Will there be a problem if I don't receive my GC before my I-94 expires?

Also, it is possible I may need to leave the country a few times over the next year, but I do not have any definite dates. I will file the Application to Travel Document, however, will that allow me to travel back and forth to the UK freely next year & the year after?

Thanks,

Chris
When my H1b husband filed for AOS, he was told that he did not need AP because H1b applicants retain their H1b status. He travelled out of the US twice whilst AOS was pending - no problems.

However, I don't know what happens once the I-94 expires. He got his GC before this occurred.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by csf

Thanks.
Hi:

An FAQ. Don't focus too much on the phrase "out of status." Notionally speaking, an adjustment applicant IS "out of status" in the situation you posit. However, that said, they are considered to present "under color of law". In other words, again, don't worry about it.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
When my H1b husband filed for AOS, he was told that he did not need AP because H1b applicants retain their H1b status. He travelled out of the US twice whilst AOS was pending - no problems.

However, I don't know what happens once the I-94 expires. He got his GC before this occurred.
Hi:

This is true PROVIDED the H-1b person maintains H-1b status in all other respects -- e.g. working for the same employer, no additional employment, etc etc.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:17 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all. If I do decide to file the Application for Travel Document (I-131), any idea how long this takes to be approved?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Thanks all. If I do decide to file the Application for Travel Document (I-131), any idea how long this takes to be approved?
Current time frame seems to be around 2 to 3 months from filing.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:00 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Hi,

Thanks,

Chris
You will be considered in status just because you are awaiting AOS approval.
Good Luck!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:59 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
You will be considered in status just because you are awaiting AOS approval.
Good Luck!
Thanks! One last question. Do I have to file the Application to Travel Document at the same time as the other forms (I-130, I-864 etc.) or can I file it seperately at a later date (if it turns out that I need to travel)?

Thanks for all the advice.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Do I have to file the Application to Travel Document at the same time as the other forms (I-130, I-864 etc.) or can I file it seperately at a later date (if it turns out that I need to travel)?
You don't have to file at the same time, but if you file afterwards you will need to provide proof that you've filed the I-485. Also, it's never a good idea to wait until you need it... it'll be too late then.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Thanks! One last question. Do I have to file the Application to Travel Document at the same time as the other forms (I-130, I-864 etc.) or can I file it seperately at a later date (if it turns out that I need to travel)?

You can file the I-131 at a later date. Just be aware that it takes about 3 months to receive it. You shouldn't leave the USA until you have it in hand, and it's almost impossible to get an emergency AP if you need to travel very quickly.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf

As has been said before, you do not need AP as long as you maintain valid H1b status. See Mr F's post.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 11:40 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf

If I were you I would apply for it, what if you need to leave the country in the event of an emergency???
You are welcome, if you need anything else, let us know!

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Jan 4th 2006 at 11:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.