I-864 sponsoring parents

Old Apr 20th 2021, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 sponsoring parents

Originally Posted by natodo
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Do they have to have worked 40 quarters prior to age 65 to qualify?
They wouldn't be able to qualify if it took until age 70 for example?
Correct...... they need 40 quarters to qualify for full Medicare and not pay for Part A.
If that takes until 70, then that is what it will be.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I think the fairly obvious answer to this question, bearing in mind the demonstrated assumptions, is probably not.

..... correct.... so asking the question brings it to the forefront of the sponsor's mind..........
Old Apr 20th 2021, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

natodo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Have you budgeted for what happens if they don't get jobs - or get only minimum wage jobs?
Have you budgeted for their personal, individual health plan costs if they don't get jobs or get job which don't have group company plans?

At nearly 60 an individual health plan will cost several hundred dollars a month each.
We have a high household income, so money will not be an issue. We can help them out.
However, they would like to be able to have their own income and I was hoping not to have to worry about astronomical healthcare costs for them :/

(As long as he is able to find work), my father plans to work and pay taxes for at least 10 years here before he retires - this would take him over the age of 65 though.
I believed this meant they would qualify for Medicare when the time came - I am now thinking qualifying quarters cuts off at age 65, even if still working?

thank you to everybody for their questions questions and answers
Old Apr 20th 2021, 9:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

(As long as he is able to find work), my father plans to work and pay taxes for at least 10 years here before he retires - this would take him over the age of 65 though.
I believed this meant they would qualify for Medicare when the time came - I am now thinking qualifying quarters cuts off at age 65, even if still working?
I'm not convinced that this is the case. As long as your parents don't apply for social security before the 40 quarters are completed, I think they can keep on accruing them. However, 70 is the last age to apply for social security -- the other ages are 62 and 66 -- so they would have to have the 40 by then. (Of course, people can apply all other ages in between, but these are the tiers -- apply at age 64 and you'll get the age 62 rate, for instance.) One must sign on to Medicare at 65, but the social security age isn't connected to that. For instance, if one doesn't take social security until age 70, one pays the Medicare premiums out of pocket. Once the SS payments start, Medicare is deducted from that at source.

By the way, your folks should look into continuing to pay into the UK state pension system in order to optimize that -- you will find threads on the topic.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 9:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Although I am not 100% sure about Medicare, I know you can't do this for Social Security.

Since SS and Medicare are essentially administered the same, I would surmise that the answer is no. When you reach 65, you're done earning quarters.

I would reach out to the Social Security Administration now if this is a potential deal breaker.
This is not true. Hubby didn't have 40 quarters by the time he was 65 and worked until age 69 to earn his 40 quarters so he could retire with a social security benefit. He could not piggyback me, because of our 7 year age difference I was not near to retirement or medicare.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 20th 2021 at 9:39 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 9:38 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
This is not true. Hubby didn't have 40 quarters by the time he was 65 and worked until age 69 to earn his 40 quarters so he could retire with a social security benefit.
I'll concede to the first hand knowledge here

Question is still up in the air if this applies to Medicare though, since you must enroll in Medicare at 65.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We have a high household income, so money will not be an issue. We can help them out.
However, they would like to be able to have their own income and I was hoping not to have to worry about astronomical healthcare costs for them :/

thank you to everybody for their questions questions and answers
You accrue credits for Medicare for as long as you pay Medicare premiums while you are working.
So, potentially, your father could work until such time as he gets the 40 credits.
If he does not have 40 credits by time he is 65, he won't automatically qualify for Medicare.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
This is not true. Hubby didn't have 40 quarters by the time he was 65 and worked until age 69 to earn his 40 quarters so he could retire with a social security benefit. He could not piggyback me, because of our 7 year age difference I was not near to retirement or medicare.
Thank you for replying.
Did your husband have the same issue with Medicare? Was he able to continue working until he had 40 quarters so he qualified for free part A?
I spoke to a lady at Medicare, and she seemed to imply that at 65, my father would enroll in Medicare and pay the monthly amount depending on quarters he has at that time..... but he could continue working and contributing and eventually would reach 40 quarters and qualify for free premium A. Was this your husband's experience too?
It is all so confusing 😕
Old Apr 21st 2021, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
By the way, your folks should look into continuing to pay into the UK state pension system in order to optimize that -- you will find threads on the topic.
Thank you, I will look into those threads too
Old Apr 21st 2021, 12:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to a lady at Medicare, and she seemed to imply that at 65, my father would enroll in Medicare and pay the monthly amount depending on quarters he has at that time..... but he could continue working and contributing and eventually would reach 40 quarters and qualify for free premium A
That's how I read it too, assuming that he is able to work enough to accrue more.

Until then, they will be paying the premium, which will half when they hit 39 quarters. You should be realistic about how long they are both able to work though, I don't think your plan is terribly viable personally.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 1:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'll concede to the first hand knowledge here

Question is still up in the air if this applies to Medicare though, since you must enroll in Medicare at 65.
From husband's experience: He came to the US and we married when he was 57. Didn't start working full time until he was age 58-1/2. Of course, he was not eligible for medicare at age 65 and never thought to register. He had full healthcare coverage from the school union which continued to insure him and me and is still our supplemental insurance. When finally had enough quarters just before his 70th birthday, he then registered for social security benefits and medicare and there was no penalty.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 1:24 pm
Often not so civil...

he then registered for social security benefits and Medicare and there was no penalty.
That's interesting. Everything I have ever read says that there is always a penalty for not signing up for Medicare when first eligible. Perhaps this is only where the requisite quarters have been earned?
Old Apr 21st 2021, 1:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting. Everything I have ever read says that there is always a penalty for not signing up for Medicare when first eligible. Perhaps this is only where the requisite quarters have been earned?
Isn’t the major exemption to the penalty that you are working and have employer-provided health insurance?
Old Apr 21st 2021, 2:10 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by robin1234
Isn’t the major exemption to the penalty that you are working and have employer-provided health insurance?

I'm thinking that as well. I was eligible when I was 65 but didn't register because I was fully insured under my husband's plan. When I finally decided to retire at 66.3 (eligible at age 65), I paid no penalty for registering for medicare at that time either.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 2:16 pm
Often not so civil...

While that might be true, I routinely see people with MSP (Medicare Secondary Payor) where the person has a primary insurance (usually through employment, or maybe as a result of a liability accident) and then Medicare picks up when/if the primary does not pay for whatever reason.

In that situation, they have obviously still signed up at 65, regardless of having continued to work (or be covered by a younger working spouses insurance)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.