I-864 sponsoring parents

Old Apr 20th 2021, 3:41 am
Just Joined

natodo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 sponsoring parents

Hi,
I am now a US Citizen and I have applied for my parents to move here (they are living in the UK).
The i130 has been approved for each of them.

I-864
What do I need to fill out for part 6, question 24a, b ,c..... (total income on the 1040.)

I am the sponsor of my parents but I have $0 income, so my husband is sponsoring as a household member- I believe he completes form i864a.

We are married filing jointly on our tax returns.
All income received is my husband's income from his W2.

Do I put $0 for all 3 of these (24 a, b, c) because it isn't actually 'my' income - I am just named filing jointly on the tax return?
Or do I put the tax return total earning? (its all my husband's earning)

Thank you so much for any help

Natalie
Old Apr 20th 2021, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: I-864 sponsoring parents

For Part 6 #24a-c, you put the exact number from the "total income" line of your (jointly filed) tax returns from the last 3 years.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 10:56 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: I-864 sponsoring parents

How old are your parents? Are they independently wealthy? Healthcare costs may be prohibitively expensive.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: I-864 sponsoring parents

Originally Posted by civilservant
How old are your parents? Are they independently wealthy? Healthcare costs may be prohibitively expensive.
My parents are almost 60, so the plan is they will work here and pay taxes.
I believe the requirement is they have to pay taxes for 40 quarters (10 years) to qualify for Medicare when they retire. Is that correct?
If they file taxes as 'married filing jointly', but only my father works, does this qualify as my mother having paid taxes too (even though she didn't work)

Thank you

Natalie
Old Apr 20th 2021, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newacct
For Part 6 #24a-c, you put the exact number from the "total income" line of your (jointly filed) tax returns from the last 3 years.
Thank you so much. That was what I was thinking
Old Apr 20th 2021, 12:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the requirement is they have to pay taxes for 40 quarters (10 years) to qualify for Medicare when they retire. Is that correct?
They can enroll once they have been legally present in the US for 5 years but not before, so they will most likely be 66 (I'm guessing, based on what you said) at best before they are eligible. Even then, since they will have not worked the required 40 quarters before 65, they will not be eligible for premium free Medicare.

The Part A premium is currently $471 a month per person.

The current Part B premium is $148.50 a month per person.

Prior to that they may have to enroll in the ACA exchanges to get coverage.

I assume they have a full UK state pension coming to them at retirement age? The US is really not the place to be poor, and they will mostly likely struggle to find employment at their age. These are things that need to be considered.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

They can enroll once they have been legally present in the US for 5 years but not before, so they will most likely be 66 (I'm guessing, based on what you said) at best before they are eligible. Even then, since they will have not worked the required 40 quarters before 65, they will not be eligible for premium free Medicare.

The Part A premium is currently $471 a month per person.

The current Part B premium is $148.50 a month per person.

Prior to that they may have to enroll in the ACA exchanges to get coverage.

I assume they have a full UK state pension coming to them at retirement age? The US is really not the place to be poor, and they will mostly likely struggle to find employment at their age. These are things that need to be considered.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Do they have to have worked 40 quarters prior to age 65 to qualify?
They wouldn't be able to qualify if it took until age 70 for example?
Old Apr 20th 2021, 1:11 pm
Often not so civil...

Although I am not 100% sure about Medicare, I know you can't do this for Social Security.

Since SS and Medicare are essentially administered the same, I would surmise that the answer is no. When you reach 65, you're done earning quarters.

I would reach out to the Social Security Administration now if this is a potential deal breaker.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Although I am not 100% sure about Medicare, I know you can't do this for Social Security.

Since SS and Medicare are essentially administered the same, I would surmise that the answer is no. When you reach 65, you're done earning quarters.

I would reach out to the Social Security Administration now if this is a potential deal breaker.
thank you, I will do that
Old Apr 20th 2021, 1:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the clock stops running on earning SS quarters at 65. The possible cited retirement ages are 62, 66, and 70 (in terms of the rate one will receive), so if one can keep bolstering the account up to 70, I believe it is possible to accrue the quarters up to 70. Of course, it would be a very close thing for the OP's parents, as they have to arrive here and find employment, which will not be a snap. Presumably they could start out paying for Medicare under the five year rule, and if the situation changed, it would then be deducted from any SS they were eligible for at age 70. But as you say, the OP needs to check all this with the SSA -- or AARP can be helpful, too.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know California allows new Immigrants to get Medicaid from Day 1, most States do not so a lot of this is State dependent. I think the common for Medicaid is 5 years as a LPR.

But we are of course talking about today and 10 etc years away is anybody's guess.

Old Apr 20th 2021, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I know California allows new Immigrants to get Medicaid from Day 1, most States do not so a lot of this is State dependent. I think the common for Medicaid is 5 years as a LPR.

But we are of course talking about today and 10 etc years away is anybody's guess.
While California allows new immigrants to apply for Medical (California's equivalent of Medicaid) there are criteria to follow such as age (must be 65 and above) and income. It's not a slam dunk.

Old Apr 20th 2021, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well there are situations you can combine Medicaid and Medicare but it is complicated and I do not remember all the details.

Here they are c 60 so Medicare is not currently a factor and presumably will have little income. So Medicaid could be a factor.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natodo
My parents are almost 60, so the plan is they will work here and pay taxes.
If they file taxes as 'married filing jointly', but only my father works, does this qualify as my mother having paid taxes too (even though she didn't work)

Thank you

Natalie
Have you budgeted for what happens if they don't get jobs - or get only minimum wage jobs?
Have you budgeted for their personal, individual health plan costs if they don't get jobs or get job which don't have group company plans?

At nearly 60 an individual health plan will cost several hundred dollars a month each.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 4:47 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Have you budgeted for what happens if they don't get jobs - or get only minimum wage jobs?
Have you budgeted for their personal, individual health plan costs if they don't get jobs or get job which don't have group company plans?

At nearly 60 an individual health plan will cost several hundred dollars a month each.
I think the fairly obvious answer to this question, bearing in mind the demonstrated assumptions, is probably not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.