I-864 Questions

Old Sep 18th 2009, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

sunfloweruk is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink I-864 Questions

Hi

My mom was going to sponsor my husband with the I-864 but she will not meet the poverty guidelines this year. She lived with me here in the UK for 4 months so there went 4 months income. Will I still be able to use my mother to sponsor my husband? She does have her last 3 years tax returns and last year she just made under the poverty guidelines, the year before she was well over the poverty guidelines for 2 people.

My brother is looking at sponsoring my husband but he has 7 people in his household plus it would be my husband. He makes the money BUT he always has loads of questions when it comes to signing his name. He wants to know what it all means really it great detail. I have explained that the sponsor is basically so that the US gov can release theirselves from putting my husband on benefits and they would look to him for support. My brother just wants to make sure he would not be responsible for paying all my husband bills etc and so on.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Questions

Originally Posted by sunfloweruk
My mom was going to sponsor my husband with the I-864 but she will not meet the poverty guidelines this year. She lived with me here in the UK for 4 months so there went 4 months income. Will I still be able to use my mother to sponsor my husband?
If your mother does not *currently* earn over the poverty level for her household plus the immigrant, then no...she cannot be a joint sponsor. When is the I-864 due, do you know yet? A new year is coming up soon, and if the I-864 is not due until after January 2010, perhaps she can be a joint sponsor at that time, if she *currently* earns enough in 2010.

My brother is looking at sponsoring my husband but he has 7 people in his household plus it would be my husband. He makes the money BUT he always has loads of questions when it comes to signing his name. He wants to know what it all means really it great detail. I have explained that the sponsor is basically so that the US gov can release theirselves from putting my husband on benefits and they would look to him for support. My brother just wants to make sure he would not be responsible for paying all my husband bills etc and so on.
Your brother is doing the right thing in researching what his responsibilities are as joint sponsor. It's all spelled out very clearly in the I-864 and instructions, he just has to read it.

Rene
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If your mother does not *currently* earn over the poverty level for her household plus the immigrant, then no...she cannot be a joint sponsor. When is the I-864 due, do you know yet? A new year is coming up soon, and if the I-864 is not due until after January 2010, perhaps she can be a joint sponsor at that time, if she *currently* earns enough in 2010.

Your brother is doing the right thing in researching what his responsibilities are as joint sponsor. It's all spelled out very clearly in the I-864 and instructions, he just has to read it.

Rene
We have just sent off the DS230 part one. Awaiting the police certificate and then can return the check list to the Embassy. My husbands medical is the first of Oct.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sfuk,

So what? What is your mom's current income (rate of pay) expressed on an annual basis? This is a very different question than how much money has she made so far this year, or how much money will she make this year.

Your brother should read the I-864 and it's instructions. He will see that he is responsible for repaying any means-tested benefits that your husband may collect should the government agency that pays the benefits ask for reimbursement, and for making sure that your husband has a certain minimum income in the event that your husband and you cannot achieve that minimum and your husband asks your brother to make up the difference. Your brother is not responsible for paying your husbands bills.

Regards, JEff

My mom was going to sponsor my husband with the I-864 but she will not meet the poverty guidelines this year. She lived with me here in the UK for 4 months so there went 4 months income. ...

My brother is looking at sponsoring my husband but he has 7 people in his household plus it would be my husband. .... My brother just wants to make sure he would not be responsible for paying all my husband bills etc and so on.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Sep 18th 2009 at 9:26 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
sfuk,

So what? What is your mom's current income (rate of pay) expressed on an annual basis? This is a very different question than how much money has she made so far this year, or how much money will she make this year.

Your brother should read the I-864 and it's instructions. He will see that he is responsible for repaying any means-tested benefits that your husband may collect should the government agency that pays the benefits ask for reimbursement, and for making sure that your husband has a certain minimum income in the event that your husband and you cannot achieve that minimum and your husband asks your brother to make up the difference. Your brother is not responsible for paying your husbands bills.

Regards, JEff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply - on an annual basis yes, my mother would met the poverty guidlines and some. Once I have this and the police report back then I can go ahead and send the check list in. I just want to make sure I have all aspects covered when my husband goes for the interview.

I am also trying to get my connections as a USC in place. I have decided which school I would like to register my children into so will ring next week about that. I have a bank acct in the US., I've also just filed my last three years tax returns. I don't have any property here in the UK so can't show I'm selling up. Any other ideas on how to connect myself back to the USA?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:32 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sfuk,

Yes, although it's one that most couples try hard to avoid. It comes to mind with the sad news of the death of Mary Travers - PP&M's biggest hit "Leaving On A Jet Plane" was originally titled "Oh Babe I Hate To Go".

Regards, JEff

I am also trying to get my connections as a USC in place. I have decided which school I would like to register my children into so will ring next week about that. I have a bank acct in the US., I've also just filed my last three years tax returns. I don't have any property here in the UK so can't show I'm selling up. Any other ideas on how to connect myself back to the USA?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
sfuk,

Yes, although it's one that most couples try hard to avoid. It comes to mind with the sad news of the death of Mary Travers - PP&M's biggest hit "Leaving On A Jet Plane" was originally titled "Oh Babe I Hate To Go".

Regards, JEff
I have another friend that will sponsor my husband and makes well over the poverty guidelines. When he shows his tax return his wife is on there. Can her name and ssn be blacked out?? It would just be him that is sponsoring.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 6:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have another friend that will sponsor my husband and makes well over the poverty guidelines. When he shows his tax return his wife is on there. Can her name and ssn be blacked out?? It would just be him that is sponsoring.
You can black out her SSN, but I wouldn't black out her name. It's OK if she shows up on the tax returns. USCIS will understand that it's only his income on the I-864.

Rene
Old Sep 19th 2009, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can black out her SSN, but I wouldn't black out her name. It's OK if she shows up on the tax returns. USCIS will understand that it's only his income on the I-864.

Rene
Thanks - yes she does not want to be on the sponsorship form, just him. So thats good then if we can black out her ssn.