Wikiposts

I-864 Question - Urgent

Old Feb 8th 2006, 1:53 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough
Default I-864 Question - Urgent

Hi,

I am filing for my AOS and my wife will be sponsoring me. We are currently filling out the I-864 form, however, I have a few questions that I would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

i) The form requires that we send in the W2s for our 3 most recent tax years. As my wife has only been working for 2 months does she qualify as a sponsor? We have been married for 3 years and filing jointly, but she was a student up until now.

ii) Even though she meets the minimum wage requirement to be a sponsor, does the fact that she has only worked for 2 months mean that I need to file the I-864a as a co-sponsor? I don't think this is the case as the I-864 states that:

"If your total household income is equal to or higher than the minimum income requirement...you may NOT have a joint sponsor unless you are requested to do so."

My wife is also reluctant to ask her boss for a letter of employment. Is this a necessity or are pay slips enough?

Once again, thanks v. much for you all your advice

Chris
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Question - Urgent

Originally Posted by csf
As my wife has only been working for 2 months does she qualify as a sponsor?
She is your wife... she must be your sponsor.

Even though she meets the minimum wage requirement to be a sponsor, does the fact that she has only worked for 2 months mean that I need to file the I-864a as a co-sponsor?
You lose nothing by filling out the form and submitting it. When it comes time for the interview, you can submit an updated I-864 as her financial status should be more stable a year or two down the road.

Is this a necessity or are pay slips enough?
A letter of employment is not necessary as long as you have a sufficiency of proof that her finances are stable and above the 125% minimum. However, 2 months worth of employment may be questioned, so tell her to suck it up and ask for the letter. It's for a good and important reason, don't you think?

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Hi,

I am filing for my AOS and my wife will be sponsoring me. We are currently filling out the I-864 form,
Chris,
There are some recent changes which might affect you (in a good way!). Please review the memo in this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342604
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:11 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

i) That's something that the case officer will decide.

ii) You and your wife would sign an I-864A so that your income as a Household Member could be included with hers. A Joint Sponsor would prepare an I-864, and as the sponsored alien you cannot do that.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by csf
Hi,

I am filing for my AOS and my wife will be sponsoring me. We are currently filling out the I-864 form, however, I have a few questions that I would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

i) The form requires that we send in the W2s for our 3 most recent tax years. As my wife has only been working for 2 months does she qualify as a sponsor? We have been married for 3 years and filing jointly, but she was a student up until now.

ii) Even though she meets the minimum wage requirement to be a sponsor, does the fact that she has only worked for 2 months mean that I need to file the I-864a as a co-sponsor? I don't think this is the case as the I-864 states that:

"If your total household income is equal to or higher than the minimum income requirement...you may NOT have a joint sponsor unless you are requested to do so."

My wife is also reluctant to ask her boss for a letter of employment. Is this a necessity or are pay slips enough?

Once again, thanks v. much for you all your advice

Chris
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:31 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Chris,

ii) You and your wife would sign an I-864A so that your income as a Household Member could be included with hers. A Joint Sponsor would prepare an I-864, and as the sponsored alien you cannot do that.

Regards, JEff
Thanks Jeff. So, if I understand this correctly, it would be ok for me to add my income as part of the household income on form I-864 and for my wife and I to sign and file form I-864A in addition.

Hopefully that will resolve it!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:36 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

csf,

You need to have been a Household Member for 6 months, something I should have included in my earlier post but since you wrote that you've been married for 3 years I made what may be an unwarranted assumption.

Do you meet the 6-month requirement for Household Members?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by csf
Thanks Jeff. So, if I understand this correctly, it would be ok for me to add my income as part of the household income on form I-864 and for my wife and I to sign and file form I-864A in addition.

Hopefully that will resolve it!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:15 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf,

You need to have been a Household Member for 6 months, something I should have included in my earlier post but since you wrote that you've been married for 3 years I made what may be an unwarranted assumption.

Do you meet the 6-month requirement for Household Members?

Regards, JEff
Yes, we've lived together for nearly 4 years now. Although, I haven't ever been on the lease. Not sure if that is a problem or not. I have mail though that extends back over a long period of time with my name on it.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Yes, we've lived together for nearly 4 years now. Although, I haven't ever been on the lease. Not sure if that is a problem or not. I have mail though that extends back over a long period of time with my name on it.
It's not a problem that you're name isn't on the lease.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2006, 3:41 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

Chris,

Regards, JEff
Jeff, I think this may be incorrect (not your fault as I did not mention before that I have lived with my wife for more than 6 months).

Even though I wish to include my income along with my wife's on the I-864, I do not need to file the I-864A as we have lived together for more than 6 months and I do not have any children or other spouse joining me.

Could somebody confirm if this is correct?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 4:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Jeff, I think this may be incorrect (not your fault as I did not mention before that I have lived with my wife for more than 6 months).

Even though I wish to include my income along with my wife's on the I-864, I do not need to file the I-864A as we have lived together for more than 6 months and I do not have any children or other spouse joining me.

Ahhh, correct or incorrect, that is the question.

I sometimes call the -A the 5 minute insurance policy. The potential problem is the opinion of the person approving the I-864.
If you complete the form and the officer insists it is required, you have it ready to hand in. If they never want it, you can shred it. The person reviewing my I-864 wasn't sure if it was required, but because I (then) thought it was, she accepted it.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 4:57 am

csf,

You might want to review this thread:
< http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=I-864A >

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by csf

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Feb 10th 2006 at 5:04 am.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:39 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
Ahhh, correct or incorrect, that is the question.

I sometimes call the -A the 5 minute insurance policy. The potential problem is the opinion of the person approving the I-864.
If you complete the form and the officer insists it is required, you have it ready to hand in. If they never want it, you can shred it. The person reviewing my I-864 wasn't sure if it was required, but because I (then) thought it was, she accepted it.
Yes, indeed. My problem is exacerbated because my wife's "unadjusted federal income" on her W2 for 2005 is only "$1,084.00" lol as she has only been employed for 4 weeks. According to the instructions on the I-864, the "unadjusted federal income" amount is used to satisfy the sponsor's requirements. For this reason, I am going to add my W2 income as part of the total household income. W have lived together for more than 6 months, there are no children joining me, so I don't think I need to file the I-864A.

However, does this mean I don't need to submit pay stubs & employer letter? Is my W2 good enough?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 6:22 am

csf,

Let's hope that the USCIS officer processing your application agrees with you. But if he doesn't, you can always mail the I-864A in afterwards.

As to your question here, it weems to me that while your W-2 is evidence that you were employed last year it says nothing about current employment. However, see again my answer to your question (i) in my first response to your original post.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by csf
... I am going to add my W2 income as part of the total household income. W have lived together for more than 6 months, there are no children joining me, so I don't think I need to file the I-864A.

However, does this mean I don't need to submit pay stubs & employer letter? Is my W2 good enough?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
I would play it safe, and include your own pay stubs and employment letter, to prove that you are currently earning an amount that meets the requirements. The W-2 is from last years' earnings, and USCIS wants to see proof of current earnings.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:24 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I would play it safe, and include your own pay stubs and employment letter, to prove that you are currently earning an amount that meets the requirements. The W-2 is from last years' earnings, and USCIS wants to see proof of current earnings.

Rene
Thanks Rene. With or without the I-864A? lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.