Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 Affidavit of Support: Questions? Answers.

I-864 Affidavit of Support: Questions? Answers.

Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default I-864 Affidavit of Support: Questions? Answers.

I've noticed several posts lately hashing over details of the I-864 and how to complete it.
The Final Rule was finally published in June 2006 and clarified some details that people here have been asking about.
(memo edited)

Highlights From the Final Rule

- Reduces required initial documentation:
*Each sponsor is now required to submit as initial evidence only his or her single most recent tax return rather than tax returns from the three most recent federal tax returns, pay stub(s) covering the most recent six months, and an employer letter.

- Introduces new EZ Affidavit of Support (Form I-864EZ):
*The EZ Affidavit of Support is a short form Affidavit of Support to be used by certain petitioning sponsors who rely only upon their own employment to meet the affidavit of support requirements.

- Provides more flexible definition of “household size.”
*Allows, but does not require, sponsors to include as part of household size any relatives in the household who are not dependents if they complete a Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member (Form I-864A) promising to make their income and/or assets available to the sponsor and intending immigrants.

*Eliminates the requirement that household members must have lived in the sponsor’s household for at least six months in order to sign a Form I-864A.

- Reduces the amount of assets that certain sponsors must show in order to cover any shortfall in their household income.
*Sponsors of immediate relative spouses and children of U.S. citizens: Amount of required assets is reduced from five times to three times the difference between the governing poverty guideline and actual household income.

All the I-864 links and explanations in one place.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:58 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Affidavit of Support: Questions? Answers.

My mom who is the joint sponser is a teacher and doesn't get paid during July and August but her alary is over 76K. Do you think just need to includeaote about that? She has cpies of her w2s. she just get bigger paymenys throught the rest of the year. I am just worried bout a gap in pay. She also can't find one of her pay stubs
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
My mom who is the joint sponser is a teacher and doesn't get paid during July and August but her alary is over 76K. Do you think just need to includeaote about that? She has cpies of her w2s. she just get bigger paymenys throught the rest of the year. I am just worried bout a gap in pay. She also can't find one of her pay stubs
It won't be a problem, in my opinion. It doesn't matter how often she gets paid throughout the year. Her W-2's will prove her yearly income.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:38 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It won't be a problem, in my opinion. It doesn't matter how often she gets paid throughout the year. Her W-2's will prove her yearly income.

Rene
Thanks again !
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough

Is the I-864 threshold the same as the fiance threshold 17500 in total? and as a k1 visa holder who is adjusting status purely on fiances/wifes income can I use the I-864EZ?
Thanks Guys

Last edited by fogga4000; Aug 27th 2008 at 1:02 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fogga4000
Is the I-864 threshold the same as the fiance threshold 17500 in total? and as a k1 visa holder who is adjusting status purely on fiances/wifes income can I use the I-864EZ?
Thanks Guys
That is the income requirement for I-864 for two people (you and spouse), yes.

Not familiar with the other form, sorry.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
I've noticed several posts lately hashing over details of the I-864 and how to complete it.
The Final Rule was finally published in June 2006 and clarified some details that people here have been asking about.
(memo edited)

Highlights From the Final Rule

- Reduces required initial documentation:
*Each sponsor is now required to submit as initial evidence only his or her single most recent tax return rather than tax returns from the three most recent federal tax returns, pay stub(s) covering the most recent six months, and an employer letter.

- Introduces new EZ Affidavit of Support (Form I-864EZ):
*The EZ Affidavit of Support is a short form Affidavit of Support to be used by certain petitioning sponsors who rely only upon their own employment to meet the affidavit of support requirements.

- Provides more flexible definition of “household size.”
*Allows, but does not require, sponsors to include as part of household size any relatives in the household who are not dependents if they complete a Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member (Form I-864A) promising to make their income and/or assets available to the sponsor and intending immigrants.

*Eliminates the requirement that household members must have lived in the sponsor’s household for at least six months in order to sign a Form I-864A.

- Reduces the amount of assets that certain sponsors must show in order to cover any shortfall in their household income.
*Sponsors of immediate relative spouses and children of U.S. citizens: Amount of required assets is reduced from five times to three times the difference between the governing poverty guideline and actual household income.

All the I-864 links and explanations in one place.
Hello:

The rule also introduced the I-864W form which covers the situation where the ALIEN already has 40 quarters of social security earnings. Inasmuch it is impossible to have an enforceable I-864 in that case, the law has never required the affidavit. However, until the final rule there was no easy way to claim the exemption.

This happens more often than one might think. For example, an person who has spent 10 years in the US on a combination of H-1, L-1 or E-2 status may very easily have the required quarters of US income.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 6:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Time to un-stick this thread, but here is one last bump for anyone who has not read it yet.
mo
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

bybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hello:

The rule also introduced the I-864W form which covers the situation where the ALIEN already has 40 quarters of social security earnings. Inasmuch it is impossible to have an enforceable I-864 in that case, the law has never required the affidavit. However, until the final rule there was no easy way to claim the exemption.

This happens more often than one might think. For example, an person who has spent 10 years in the US on a combination of H-1, L-1 or E-2 status may very easily have the required quarters of US income.
In the case of the intending immigrant qualifying and filing the I-864W, does the petitioner still need to complete the I-864? We're filing spousal visa via DCF in London.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bybarra
In the case of the intending immigrant qualifying and filing the I-864W, does the petitioner still need to complete the I-864? We're filing spousal visa via DCF in London.
Hi:

No.

"The trouble is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon, 1975.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

bybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

No.

"The trouble is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon, 1975.
Thank you for the quick reponse. You're absolutely right that the process is making me think/rethink everything and loose the ability to trust my own judgement of what is logical.