I-864 Affidavit Of Support

Old Aug 8th 2002, 1:46 pm
Marlowe

Default I-864 Affidavit Of Support

I hope that the group can give me some advice, and allay my worries. Briefly, my wife
is the US citizen and we have been married for four years, and have lived in the US
for two and a half years. Atlanta has finally given us an interview date and we are
preparing a revised I-864. When the original I-864 was submitted it was based on
assets, as my better half hadn't earned sufficent money in the three years prior to
submitting the form. The problem we have now is that we no longer have these assets.
They were used to help support us over the past couple of years when, due to a
variety of circumstances, neither of us has been earning much money. (Working as a
security guard isn't the best paid job in the world). The only person who could help
us, by becoming a co-sponsor, has pulled out. However, this year I got a full time
job in my real field of expertise, as a computer programmer. I earn comfortably more
than the INS require. The question is, will the INS refuse the green card because we
haven't earned enough in previous years, even though we now earn comfortably more
than is required? I can show them the offer of employment and pay slips for this
year. What does everybody think?

Old Aug 8th 2002, 6:19 pm

Default Re: I-864 Affidavit Of Support

Marlowe wrote:
    > I hope that the group can give me some advice, and allay my worries. Briefly, my
    > wife is the US citizen and we have been married for four years, and have lived in
    > the US for two and a half years. Atlanta has finally given us an interview date and
    > we are preparing a revised I-864. When the original I-864 was submitted it was
    > based on assets, as my better half hadn't earned sufficent money in the three years
    > prior to submitting the form. The problem we have now is that we no longer have
    > these assets. They were used to help support us over the past couple of years when,
    > due to a variety of circumstances, neither of us has been earning much money.
    > (Working as a security guard isn't the best paid job in the world). The only person
    > who could help us, by becoming a co-sponsor, has pulled out. However, this year I
    > got a full time job in my real field of expertise, as a computer programmer. I earn
    > comfortably more than the INS require. The question is, will the INS refuse the
    > green card because we haven't earned enough in previous years, even though we now
    > earn comfortably more than is required? I can show them the offer of employment and
    > pay slips for this year. What does everybody think?

The requirement is that you are currently earning 125 percent of the poverty limit.
So, if you have a permanent job, this may be OK. However, since you don't have a
track record of these earnings in the US, they still may not approve it. If it were
me, I would look for a cosponser. Are you saying that you and your wife together were
unable to earn the required amount? Here, a person working 40 hours a week in fast
food, can make the 125 percent for 2 requireement. Of course, they would have trouble
actually finding a place to live on the much, but INS would be satisfied.

Old Aug 8th 2002, 10:13 pm
Marlowe

Default Re: I-864 Affidavit Of Support

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Marlowe wrote:
    > >
    > > I hope that the group can give me some advice, and allay my worries. Briefly, my
    > > wife is the US citizen and we have been married for four years, and have lived in
    > > the US for two and a half years. Atlanta has finally given us an interview date
    > > and we are preparing a revised I-864. When the original I-864 was submitted it
    > > was based on assets, as my better half hadn't earned sufficent money in the three
    > > years prior to submitting the form. The problem we have now is that we no longer
    > > have these assets. They were used to help support us over the past couple of
    > > years when, due to a variety of circumstances, neither of us has been earning
    > > much money. (Working as a security guard isn't the best paid job in the world).
    > > The only person who could help us, by becoming a co-sponsor, has pulled out.
    > > However, this year I got a full time job in my real field of expertise, as a
    > > computer programmer. I earn comfortably more than the INS require. The question
    > > is, will the INS refuse the green card because we haven't earned enough in
    > > previous years, even though we now earn comfortably more than is required? I can
    > > show them the offer of employment and pay slips for this year. What does
    > > everybody think?
    > The requirement is that you are currently earning 125 percent of the poverty limit.
    > So, if you have a permanent job, this may be OK. However, since you don't have a
    > track record of these earnings in the US, they still may not approve it. If it were
    > me, I would look for a cosponser. Are you saying that you and your wife together
    > were unable to earn the required amount? Here, a person working 40 hours a week in
    > fast food, can make the 125 percent for 2 requireement. Of course, they would have
    > trouble actually finding a place to live on the much, but INS would be satisfied.

I'm afraid that we couldn't earn enough. My wife fell ill and couldn't work. I had to
take time off work to look after her. Without jobs that provided medical insurance,
her illness helped to wipe out the assets that we had remaining. Hence our problem.