I-864 advice required

Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

NashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud ofNashvilleBrit has much to be proud of
Default I-864 advice required

We are nearly done with our packet for the K1 petition, a few addresses and docs more and we should be done (have been saying that for a week now!!)

My query relates to the next stage...My fiance and I live in Thailand but have never broken ties with our homes. My fiance has not been so good on filing his taxes (neither of us planned on being here so long and we kind of forgot about paperwork back home!)

We are currently looking into how he can sort all of that out (We both currently earn under the bread line so should be a tax return for nil!?!?!?!)

So, on to the I-864...We plan on residing with my fiances' brother, his father has agreed to be a joint sponsor and my fiance is currently applying for work there. Is there anything that we should be doing now in preparation?

Has anyone had any experience with this?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 advice required

Originally Posted by Wheretostart
We are currently looking into how he can sort all of that out (We both currently earn under the bread line so should be a tax return for nil!?!?!?!)
He should be contacting IRS to see how to file back taxes. You'll need to show 3 years' worth at your K-1 visa interview in London. Don't forget about the I-134 Affidavit of Support that you'll need at the time of your interview, also. If your fiance won't be earning enough at that time, he'll need someone else to be your sponsor (perhaps his father will agree to help).

So, on to the I-864...We plan on residing with my fiances' brother, his father has agreed to be a joint sponsor and my fiance is currently applying for work there. Is there anything that we should be doing now in preparation?
I wouldn't worry about the I-864 just yet, since it won't be needed until after you arrive and get married and file AOS. I mean, it's good that you've got a joint sponsor lined up, very smart move. But for now, I'd concentrate on the I-134, which you'll need at your visa interview first.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:39 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

We are nearly done with our packet for the K1 petition, a few addresses and docs more and we should be done (have been saying that for a week now!!)

My query relates to the next stage...My fiance and I live in Thailand but have never broken ties with our homes. My fiance has not been so good on filing his taxes (neither of us planned on being here so long and we kind of forgot about paperwork back home!)

Has anyone had any experience with this?
It's pretty hard to earn more than $85-90,000 per year as an English teacher in Thailand (pretty hard to do it in the USA as well), so your fiance should be free of any taxes due or penalties for late filing.

Before you start to work on I-864, look into DS-2000 and, as Rene pointed out, I-134. You'll find both on the US embassy in London's web site, consular pages.

Everyone who has sponsored an immigrant has had experience with I-864, everyone who has sponsored a K visa applicant has had experience with I-134.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We are nearly done with our packet for the K1 petition, a few addresses and docs more and we should be done
Because your current addresses will show in Thailand, I urge you to make it abundantly clear that you wish to interview in London. Perhaps that's where showing your current 'residence' in the UK will help but you should be aware that the potential for confusion exists. Since you want to speed your case through as quickly as possible, I thought that might be of interest to you.