Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-551 Stamp: Where Can I find the LAW for REENTRY

I-551 Stamp: Where Can I find the LAW for REENTRY

Old Jul 16th 2003, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

ett094 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-551 Stamp: Where Can I find the LAW for REENTRY

Hi all,
I received the I-551 stamp based on marriage to a citizen a month ago. I have not received the plastic card yet.

I am planning a visit abroad for a few weeks (I already bought the tickets) but then I contacted the US embassy in that country asking them whether the authorities there are familliar with the I-551 stamp (since it is so unremarkable) and whether they would let me board the plane back here.

They told me that I should wait for the plastic card and that the stamp is not sufficent..... IS THIS TRUE? I always thought it is enough to have the stamp.

SO I want to send that contact at the embassy the actual LAW. Does anyone know where I can get it?

I tried the BCIS website... no luck. I even called the BCIS and talked to an officer who assured me that the stamp is enough but failed to provide me pointers to the law.... please advise.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-551 Stamp: Where Can I find the LAW for REENTRY

Originally posted by ett094
Hi all,
I received the I-551 stamp based on marriage to a citizen a month ago. I have not received the plastic card yet.

I am planning a visit abroad for a few weeks (I already bought the tickets) but then I contacted the US embassy in that country asking them whether the authorities there are familliar with the I-551 stamp (since it is so unremarkable) and whether they would let me board the plane back here.

They told me that I should wait for the plastic card and that the stamp is not sufficent..... IS THIS TRUE? I always thought it is enough to have the stamp.

SO I want to send that contact at the embassy the actual LAW. Does anyone know where I can get it?

I tried the BCIS website... no luck. I even called the BCIS and talked to an officer who assured me that the stamp is enough but failed to provide me pointers to the law.... please advise.
Hi:

The I-551 stamp IS a valid entry document and will allow you to board. That said, the ONLY country I've heard of problems from is Pakistan where either the airline people or the exit control people have seen a lot of counterfiet stamps.

I've had clients travel all the time with no problem otherwise.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The I-551 stamp IS a valid entry document and will allow you to board. That said, the ONLY country I've heard of problems from is Pakistan where either the airline people or the exit control people have seen a lot of counterfiet stamps.

I've had clients travel all the time with no problem otherwise.
Thanks for the reply. Would you know where I can find the law regarding this? I looked everywhere and saw nothing.

Also, what happens in the case of Pakistan, do these people get stranded there? I have on my passport a couple of expired H1 stamps and can show that I work here.... but I don't have an official letter from INS of my new status since if you adjust through marriage to a USC, you are called for an interview and given the stamp then without any letter....
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. Would you know where I can find the law regarding this? I looked everywhere and saw nothing.

Also, what happens in the case of Pakistan, do these people get stranded there? I have on my passport a couple of expired H1 stamps and can show that I work here.... but I don't have an official letter from INS of my new status since if you adjust through marriage to a USC, you are called for an interview and given the stamp then without any letter....
Hi:

The stamp is in "security ink" and is issued by the Government and is placed in a official document. Think of it as a visa. It says what it says: "Processed for I-551. Temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence. Valid until ____. Employment authorized"

As far as I know there is no printed "law" that says that that stamp is no good.

Now, as to Pakistan -- when problems arise -- they go to the US consulate and get a "VISA RACOON" cable response.

WHY are you asking? I have never seen a problem on the US end of things.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

WHY are you asking? I have never seen a problem on the US end of things. [/QUOTE]

The reason I am asking is that when I emailed the US embassy, here the reply they sent back. I am assuming that whoever sent this is NOT familiar with US law.

"You cannot use the I-551 number stamped on your passport as an official
evidence to use in and out the United States. You must get the original
Green Card or you may have the information directly from the Immigration
and Naturalization Services in the United States."
Old Jul 16th 2003, 8:10 pm
Mrtravel

ett094 wrote:
    >

> The reason I am asking is that when I emailed the US embassy, here the
    > reply they sent back. I am assuming that whoever sent this is NOT
    > familiar with US law.
    >

Which embassy?

>
    >
    > "You cannot use the I-551 number stamped on your passport as an official
    >
    > evidence to use in and out the United States. You must get the original
    >
    > Green Card or you may have the information directly from the Immigration
    >
    > and Naturalization Services in the United States."

The answer is not correct.
FWIW, my wife had a slight problem with Aeroflot in Moscow, but after a
discussion among check in agents, they accepted it.
The passport stamp is official evidence. It is even listed in the I-9
list of acceptable items to prove ability to work.

Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:16 pm
Ap

In article , member11720
@britishexpats.com says...
    >
    > > WHY are you asking? I have never seen a problem on the US end of
    > > things.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The reason I am asking is that when I emailed the US embassy, here the
    > reply they sent back. I am assuming that whoever sent this is NOT
    > familiar with US law.

I-551 is so called "green card", you can get it in a stamp form or later
plastic card.
    >
    > "You cannot use the I-551 number stamped on your passport as an official
    >
    > evidence to use in and out the United States. You must get the original
    >
    > Green Card or you may have the information directly from the Immigration
    >
    > and Naturalization Services in the United States."
    >

I find it funny that embassy tells you that "temporary evidence" (like
it is stated in the stamp) is not evedence at all.

AP

Old Jul 16th 2003, 10:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Try here on the BCIS website. A printout of this should confirm that the I-551 stamp is the equivalent of the actual card.

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...ency/obl25.htm

Excerpt:

THE PERMANENT RESIDENCE PROCESS IN A NUTSHELL

Family-based:
If adjustment of status is approved, an appointment is made to have an "I-551 stamp" placed in the alien's passport. The I-551 stamp is meant to establish proof of the alien's permanent residence and unrestricted employment eligibility until the actual Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) is processed (approximately one year).

Rete

Hi all,

Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:01 am
Monabellar

Hi,

I am in a similar situation, but with another country. I e-mailed the American
Embassy, but they never replied back, so I contacted the ministry of Foreign
Affairs. They told me that the local Immigration Police is aware of the stamp;
however, they recommended me to take additional documentation such as the NOA's
sent by the BCIS.
Moreover, I talked with the personnel of the airline that will take me there.
They know about the stamp, so they will allow me to board the plane back to the
US.
I don't know the situation in Pakistan, but what I did was to contact local
authorities and ask a relative to find out that information for me. If they
don't know about it, it's better not to travel. The problem is not entering
the US, but leaving the foreign country. If your country is one of those who
needs its citizens to get an "exit visa", things can get complicated.
By the way, it is just a stamp, so we might be subject to secondary inspection
when entering the US.
I will be leaving soon; let's see what happens.
M

Old Jul 26th 2003, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Default just got the plastic card

Just THREE days before leaving the US (yesterday) I received the plastic green card.... anyhow, the strange thing is that last week I got TWO I181 letters from the INS welcoming me to permanent residence. I am not sure whether this a new thing since I had not read anywhere that I was supposed to receive these. Good luck to all.