I-485 what family name to put?

Old May 30th 2012, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold
Default I-485 what family name to put?

Hi everyone,

I arrived in the US end of March and have been settling in.

I'm getting married next week and am just going through the forms for AoS, didn't manage to get very far before I had a question I had a quick look at previous posts but this didn't seem to come up.

On the I-485 it asks for my family name - do I put my new married name or my old name?

I guess that once we are married his last name will be my family name and seeing as these forms are filled out once married that that is the name I should put.

I'm just a bit confused. Advice appreciated Thanks.

When we get married is that when my name changes to his name officially?

Last edited by Holliver; May 30th 2012 at 8:30 pm.
Old May 30th 2012, 8:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-485 what family name to put?

What name are you giving when people ask your name, or when you fill out forms that ask for your name?
Originally Posted by Holliver
On the I-485 it asks for my family name - do I put my new married name or my old name?

If that's what you want it to be. My sister-in-law, after 35 years of marriage, is still using her maiden name most of the time. Sometimes she will use a hyphenated last name.
I guess that once we are married his last name will be my family name ...

You should put the name that you want to be known by.
and seeing as these forms are filled out once married that that is the name I should put.

No need to be confused - the name that you enter on the form is your choice.
I'm just a bit confused.
Regards, JEff
Old May 30th 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Jeff. So even though on the marriage license paper I wrote that I wanted to change my name to his, theoretically, I could still use my last name for my greencard?
Old May 30th 2012, 8:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jeff. So even though on the marriage license paper I wrote that I wanted to change my name to his, theoretically, I could still use my last name for my greencard?
Yes. If you want your green card to have your maiden name, use that name on the I-485.

Rene
Old May 30th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. If you want your green card to have your maiden name, use that name on the I-485.

Rene
What would be the pros and cons of doing that? If use his name that means that every time I travel out of the US I will have to bring a copy of our wedding license as proof of name change. But if I keep my name I won't have problems with my passport name not matching. Are there any situations where keeping my maiden name on the green card could cause problems or be a benefit?
Old May 30th 2012, 8:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What would be the pros and cons of doing that? If use his name that means that every time I travel out of the US I will have to bring a copy of our wedding license as proof of name change. But if I keep my name I won't have problems with my passport name not matching. Are there any situations where keeping my maiden name on the green card could cause problems or be a benefit?
It really is a non-issue either way. The choice is just your own personal preference. Always book tickets in your passport name, and you'll be fine.

Rene
Old May 30th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Did you apply for social security number yet? Drivers License?. If so presumably in maiden name. I would stick with that name.
Old May 30th 2012, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

It really is a non-issue either way. The choice is just your own personal preference. Always book tickets in your passport name, and you'll be fine.

Rene
OK good to know. Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rene
I understand if I keep my passport in my maiden name and book tickets with maiden name it's fine for travel outwards, but if I use my married name for the greencard does that mean I need to take a copy of my marriage license every time I travel abroad to show upon entry in the US?
Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:10 am

I understand if I keep my passport in my maiden name and book tickets with maiden name it's fine for travel outwards, but if I use my married name for the greencard does that mean I need to take a copy of my marriage license every time I travel abroad to show upon entry in the US?
Thanks
Yes.

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers