Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-485 processing time at Lincoln, NE office

I-485 processing time at Lincoln, NE office

Old Apr 25th 2002, 8:00 pm
Constantin Svir

Default I-485 processing time at Lincoln, NE office

Does anybody know about current processing time of I-485 (adjustment for permanent
resident status) application at Lincoln, Nebraska INS office? I and my wife been
granted asylee status about 20 months ago. Half a year ago we submitted application
to adjust our status to permanent residents. In response we received Notice of Action
that stated: "You should expect to be notified within 90 days....." Now it's almost
180 days passed since this notice and we've heard nothing. I'm very concerned what
could go wrong? Does anybody have any information regarding this issue? Thanks in
advance for your input. Constantin.

Old May 1st 2002, 1:00 am
Sylvia Ottemoel

Default Re: I-485 processing time at Lincoln, NE office

Constantin Svirchevski wrote:

> Does anybody know about current processing time of I-485 (adjustment for permanent
    > resident status) application at Lincoln, Nebraska INS office? I and my wife been
    > granted asylee status about 20 months ago. Half a year ago we submitted
    > application to adjust our status to permanent residents. In response we received
    > Notice of Action that stated: "You should expect to be notified within 90
    > days....." Now it's almost 180 days passed since this notice and we've heard
    > nothing. I'm very concerned what could go wrong? Does anybody have any information
    > regarding this issue?

It's going to be a few years. See http://www.shusterman.com/nsc.html. This says that
asylum-based I-485s which are about to be approved now were filed in June 1998.

I tried to find a site about this matter, and this is the best I can find at the
moment: http://www.hias.org/Immigration/greencard.html. Quoting: "Asylees may apply
to adjust their status to LPR after they have been physically present in the U.S. for
one year following the grant of asylum. However, because immigration law permits only
10,000 asylee applicants per year to receive LPR status and there is no numerical
limitation on the number of persons who may be granted asylum each year, it is
possible that there may be a delay between the time an asylee submits the application
for status adjustment, and his/her receipt of the green card."

I have heard of several people who were so fed up with the long processing time for
asylum-based I-485s that they started and completed an employment based immigration
process (I-140 plus I-485).