I-485 and I-797c

Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

harrini1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-485 and I-797c

Hi
I started my immigration journey back in 2010 in the UK (I am UKC my wife is USC). We filed an i-130 petition and waited. and waited. In the meantime, my company wanted to transfer me to the the US. Initially, they were going to wait until I got my CR-1, but we got to May and my I-130 had yet to be approved, so they arranged an L-1A work visa. I am now in the States. My father in law finally recieved my I-130 Notice of approval from USCIS in London and forwarded to me over here. (it says it is form I-171 on the bottom).
I did contact the US embassy in London and tell them I would not be applying for my visa there and they said that was fine.
I am now trying to compile all the required papers to file an adjustment of status here. I have had my medical and have all the forms - except an I-797c, Notice of action. Is this what the US embassy would have sent me on receipt of my approved I-130?
Can anyone offer any advice on how I should proceed?

Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-485 and I-797c

The domestic USCIS Service Centers in the USA use form I-797C (or I-797) for Notice of Action. The USCIS foreign field offices do not. I expect that the notice of approval that your father-in-law forwarded to you is the equivalent of an I-797 Approval Notice and will serve the purpose.

When you notified the consular section in London that your would not be applying for a visa, did you make it clear that the reason was because you will instead by applying for adjustment of status? You don't want the DoS to return the petition to USCIS for revocation or to go to long term storage.

Regards, JEff
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-485 and I-797c

Originally Posted by harrini1
Hi
I started my immigration journey back in 2010 in the UK (I am UKC my wife is USC). We filed an i-130 petition and waited. and waited. In the meantime, my company wanted to transfer me to the the US. Initially, they were going to wait until I got my CR-1, but we got to May and my I-130 had yet to be approved, so they arranged an L-1A work visa. I am now in the States. My father in law finally recieved my I-130 Notice of approval from USCIS in London and forwarded to me over here. (it says it is form I-171 on the bottom).
I did contact the US embassy in London and tell them I would not be applying for my visa there and they said that was fine.
I am now trying to compile all the required papers to file an adjustment of status here. I have had my medical and have all the forms - except an I-797c, Notice of action. Is this what the US embassy would have sent me on receipt of my approved I-130?
Can anyone offer any advice on how I should proceed?

Thanks
Use the I-171 ILO of the I-797 Notice of Action. The I-171 form is the one that was developed for approval notices before TIERS was instituted. DHS in London is not on TIERS.